Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 AM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,973,560 times

Advertisements

I was just admitted to the Cayman Islands Law School yesterday and am planning the huge logistics nightmare we have ahead of us.

Let me set the game up for you:

We are a 32 and 40 year old American couple moving from Houston with a 6 year old daughter (currently in public school) and a 7 year old dog (boxer). I own a business that I can easily run remotely from my laptop and cell phone while I am in Cayman, so we don't need jobs and are financially secure.

We are looking for a school for my daughter that is sympathetic to our law school schedule (end of September to middle of December and then middle of January to end of April). While I'm not in class, we'd like to come home to Houston (winter break and summer break). We would like to avoid religion-based schools at all costs.

I know there is a lengthy wait for taking a dog with us. Once we take the dog, can we bring him back and forth to the Islands and Texas, or do you have to go through the process each time?

How hard is it to find a place to live in the Gtown area? We'd prefer a private house, but would be willing to look at a condo if it was a good fit.

We would be moving next September (2009).

Any help in any of these areas is greatly appreciated.

If you (or someone you know) attended the Cayman Islands Law School, I would love to hear any stories you have. Any other hints/information about living in Cayman is also helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,447 times
Evening,
I live in the Cayman Islands and am a Caymanian. I must admit Cayman has changed alot in recent years especially with the cost of living, here's approximately what you'll need to have to move here (take it from a real estate agency owner:-)
-New apartment (3 bedroom in nice area) $2000 rent + same for deposit
-Light connections $100 per bedroom
-Car insurance approx. $600 third party $1500+ (I've been in the insurance industry too :-)
Cable, phone lines, internet etc appox. $400
So all in all you'll need about $6000+ for the initial setup, excluding things like food and basic necessities. But once you've settled in and battled out the first expenses Cayman is an extremely wonderful place to live and raise a family, especially with the beaches and laid back lifestyle, I could dream of living no where else in the world! Good luck to you and if you decide to move here don't hestitate to contact me for any help finding a place etc.!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-20-2008 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Links to personal sites not permitted

Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,903 times
I am thinking of doing the same thing. Law School that is in the Cayman's and I was wondering how hard the application was and how difficult it is to get in? Is there any campus housing?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 PM

261 posts, read 668,869 times
Out of curiosity what is your job. I would question leaving a job that can be run part time from a computer for law. I mean if your business is that succesful why not just open up another one. Lawyers make good money but you will miss time with your daughter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas