Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM

8 posts, read 25,491 times

Advertisements

I am returning from China next year around June 2013 where I was teaching. I am not a teacher by trade. I have lived most of my life in Los Angeles, California where I grew-up, but it has changed so much I do not want to return there. Less pay than San Francisco, too much crime and traffic and just want change !!!
I am 63 years old, not retired, in good health, have college (mostly law)......and not rich either. I have been teaching in China. I do not want to teach in America.
I either want to relocate to a high desert area with some woods, moutains, lake.....that is not always hot but I can deal with some heat for a few months; or near or in a city or town in the north near the woods, but not too far from the ocean or a lake to swim in or mountain to go hiking !! I want a small town or city , less crime, cheaper/less expensive rent or own, nice or fairly nice people, neither a conservative or liberal and want to stay out of political mainstreams, want less people...AND I know there is no perfect place !!

I did visited my mom in Wilsonville, Oregon near Portland and although pretty, little or no jobs, (did work in legal on a contract for a while at a good company but no long time guarantee of work !!), people not as friendly.......in fact the whole time I was there I would even go downtown in Wilsonville and sit at Starbucks just to meet people and maybe make a few friends that just ended in small talk.... I am a man with education, health, like to exercise, hike, swim in the ocean, a lake or river. I know to live in California mostly very expensive !! I have lived all over LA in area that were nice but, now with BIG TIME gangs (everywhere now)....can't afford a gated community !! and forget the beach...the last time I lived there was in 1973 after I got out of the army ........

Having lived in China I had to be inventive as life here is 180 degrees different. I do speak a little Spanish and Chinese and understand a little Italian and French...but, tkey won't let you work past 60 years of age here. Besides, I have had my fill of China !! 80% of Chinese are below the poverty line...!!!!! In America I get free medical the rest of my life ..so that is not a concern ...any VA Hospital will treat me. Honest !! I miss America very much !! Really sick of China, all the people, filth, dirt, and people, people, people !!! I am tired of teaching !!!.........and getting sick all the time from the food and the pollution is so bad !! enough said...........

I like the woods, but not a serious camper and into camping without a cabin, bed, stove, etc......I am not into sleeping on the ground..I am not Paul Bunyan !! I did enough sleeping on the ground when I was in the Army (8 years) ! lol....I am pretty easy going...like people ..can live near a larger city....want to look into maybe government jobs too as I am a Disabled Vietnam Veteran and worked at the VA Hospital before in LA while going to Law School...I would work legal again or in a company doing some business law, contracts, litigation as I have extensive background in it.
I must admit I liked Oregon but not having a car at the time made it difficult..now thinking Northern California, Arizona, New Mexico, and maybe a few other states. I don't want all woods but like the woods. I guess I could adjust if I had a decent job, cheaper rent than LA, less crime , and less people. I don't want to live at the beach as it is too expensive everywhere east and west coast !! I have been reading the posts here and I know there is always pros and cons in any area or city or town ....so, I am not looking for Shangra-la !!..it does not exist..I have survived living here in China under extreme conditions sometimes and work as well....although I have been able to save money which I will bring back to find a place to live!!!

I lived in North Carolina where I have relatives but each time jobs were very hard to come by !! Charlotte is suppose to have Bank of America's Corporate office and I had interviews but no jobs. I like the people but even my relatives told me when I lived in Florence, South Carolina and Charlotte, North Carolina that I am not a "Good ole Boy"!....and on some interviews I felt interviewer was being a bit condesending and I felt that some still referred to me as a "Damn Yankee" and I am from California...(and I did not get the job though overly qualified); the Carolinas do have beautiful, beautiful homes and I love the State, but...(again the but)(they over built and owned by the banks and a beautiful state) to rent to buy !!!!!! many foreclosures but worked once in a law firm for a bad lawyer and then as a security guard (hated it) at a nice upscale mall. I am always learning and might even go back and study something in medicine as I worked 3 years in a hospital as I stated above....and I know about medical mal-practice and medical terms and diseases. It seems where there are cheaper properties and rents there are no jobs ....so, I know I have to give and take some.

In 2008 before I left for China I did take a train ride across America and saw much of the country and cities including of course Chicago, Wash. D.C., and even spent a month or two in New York City..nice to visit but not for me...

I don't expect to make lots of money but I don't want to work at McDonalds'.....I am not a lawyer but did go to law school. I have thought of San Francisco as well but so very expensive !!! I am leaning more towards a small city or big town out of the way...I thought of even Bishop or near Yosemite....

In China with so many people, I am pondering this question now !!! ..in Oregon I like the beauty but it rained so much and about five months I was there only two weeks or so did the sun dare come out !!! So, I guess a city with some sun is in my future !!........

I don't want to be a hermit but I don't want to live in the big city anymore unless I was at a job making about $80,000 a year...and as the economy is so bad ...I have to be realistic !!!! I am older and have been away and the economy is not the same anymore !

...........and now I see nice small cities or towns but I just don't know and I even go to websites.....any small suggestions might help as I am trying to narrow it down.....If to buy takes to much of a long term commitment (I still have my G.I. Bill but I am 63)...then I will rent....no problem...thought of even buying a small piece of land....still thinking.

My Chinese wife will come later and maybe the West Coast is better as there are more Chinese and she does not speak English ...but, I am teaching her....she will be retired..

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 12:01 AM

961 posts, read 2,506,005 times
....Well....probably should start w/a few questions..your desired climate?.....need for a VA Hospital within a 1-2 hour drive?...need for a military base for other veteran's needs nearby? I'm in upstate NY...don't mind the change of seasons.... I like Ft Drum(has seen much upgrading since the 80's when I first went there), and...I just happened to recall...it's not far from the Canadian border. The larger Canadian cities have Chinese communites where an expat such as your wife can get a sampling of her former world..if need be.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:39 PM

175 posts, read 274,035 times
I'd like to visit china sometime soon.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 AM

First to Tioga: Thank you for the information...back in 2008 when I was in New York City I did go to Piquipsee (spelling) and did enjoy spending Easter there. VA Hospital not to far....hmm....anymore information I do appreciate. Thanks alot ...Also, about the Chinese since my wife to be doesn't not speak English, but a few words...

It does get cold here and I worked in the cold...and some snow..not lots.....and in the summer very , very humid...that is not so great....but, again i have dealt with some extreme situations. Thanks so very much !!
Second to Erikhealien: Go to China..you will love the visit !! I promise you...!! If you want any information where to go I can tell you....take care...
It is a day ahead here so goodnight to all...thanks again Tioga...!!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 AM

Tiogaon't mind the seasonal climate change. In fact I enjoy the change in seasons as I never had growing up in California....Don't want really harsh winters like Chicago...nor do I want the sweltering heat of the desert....like upper state New York very much....took the train from Grand Central Station.....can you suggest any cities or areas that I might check into?

My Chinese fiancee is retiring next year(at 50) they have mandatory retirement there....

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas