Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:09 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,205 times

Advertisements

We made a scouting trip to Costa Rica earlier this month to see if we could live there. Absolutely, we can, but none of the areas checked all of the boxes, so we will keep looking.

Next up is probably Panama. Specifically, I'm hoping to explore three locations: David, Las Tablas and Pedasi. That's a large city, a small city and a rural town. I'm hoping one of the three can satisfy all of our needs, or at least come close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
I haven´t heard of the last two...Boquete is really nice, and if you need somewhat of a city, David might fit the bill.

Know that there is a VERY big difference between the capital and the rest of the country. You might be suited for one or the another, but probably not both.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2019, 09:11 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I haven´t heard of the last two...Boquete is really nice, and if you need somewhat of a city, David might fit the bill.

Know that there is a VERY big difference between the capital and the rest of the country. You might be suited for one or the another, but probably not both.

Good luck!
Definitely suited more for Las Tablas, Pedasi or David than Panama City.

Las Tablas and Pedasi are near the beaches in the south, but are not right on them. They are gaining in popularity, but haven't been overrun and have good services. David is bigger and would offer even more, but I'm looking for a compromise between services and a relaxed lifestyle. I want to be able to go to a fruit/veggie market daily and pick out what I want to cook for lunch/dinner. We did that while in Costa Rica and had the best meals. The beach is a necessity for friends who are hoping to retire and move with us.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
One of my brothers girlfriend’s family has some sort of business in Boquete.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:56 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Maybe its in Boca del Toro. Its in one of those places in Panamá.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Maybe its in Boca del Toro. Its in one of those places in Panamá.
Bocas del Toro is a really interesting place. It´s kind of like San Andrés Colombia or some of the coastal areas of countries like Honduras and Guatemala...big Afro-Caribbean minority. That rasta spanglish creole dialect is a trip.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
We made a scouting trip to Costa Rica earlier this month to see if we could live there. Absolutely, we can, but none of the areas checked all of the boxes, so we will keep looking.

Next up is probably Panama. Specifically, I'm hoping to explore three locations: David, Las Tablas and Pedasi. That's a large city, a small city and a rural town. I'm hoping one of the three can satisfy all of our needs, or at least come close.
Beware of "juega vivo", it´s certainly a way of life in the capital.

https://www.diaadia.com.pa/primer-pl...%A1bito-298686

It´s hard to put into words, but I´ll try. It´s the idea that being "clever" and getting ahead in life can come at the expense of everyone else. People who play this game feel entitled to anything, because they were "clever" enough to just do it, screw everyone else, rules and cultural mores are for suckers. It can be common-ish in other Latin American countries; it´s certainly around in Colombia, but it´s thick up in Panamá. The term originates from them.

An example I´d give would be you trying to find a parking spot and driving around for 20 minutes. Finally you see one, you´re slowly trying to parallel park but the spot is tight. You straighten out, certain that this time you´ll park it right. Before you get that chance, a car with tinted out windows blasting reggaetón pulls a James Bond parking move and slides into the spot you clearly had marked as "yours". When then driver gets out and you try to let him know how what an a-hole he is, he flips you the bird and yells "juega vivo!" at you.

If you´re eyeing places for retirement, these types of uncomfortable situations may happen less to you than to people trying to live, work and study in Panamá.

In terms of adapting to the culture as a retiree, I give one point to Costa Rica. You should check out Cuenca and Olon Ecuador as well.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:08 AM

536 posts, read 610,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Can anyone give me some information on Panama. I'm an American citizen with a pension that is considering relocating there after I retire. Information on the following is greatly appreciated:

1) Crime

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Disclaimer: I know these are just MY (and wife) experiences and probably many people have no issue, but they are still worth mentioning as cautionary stories.

Well, my wife and I were robbed at gun point on a beach outside of Panama City on Christmas day 2016. I believe the beach was near the outskirts of Veracruz, a part of the beach near the cemetery and hospital of that town. These two scum bags just ran out of the woods, the first with the gun, another PoS behind him holding a huge branch. They got the money we were holding and ran off like cockroaches. My wife thought it was a gang initiation because the wastes of space seemed nervous and didn't even take my bag I had with me that had a samsung tablet inside, just seemed in a hurry throughout the entire process.

A few days later, maybe January 3, 2017, In the old town of Panama City another scum approached my wife and I, speaking perfect English. He was clearly a local, tan and quite tall, nearly 6 feet tall/very thin, with shorts, if I remember correctly sandals and a white t-shirt. He walked kinda odd too, like he spread his legs a little too wide as he took he step, a little slowly too. He claimed he went to school in Florida and wanted to offer us a tour of the old town for free. He kept pointing out random buildings and what we felt were made up stories about those buildings and tried to get us to walk down this random side street and into a vacant lot to show us another "historical place" about 5 minutes into this "tour". My wife and I stood on the corner of the main street (not sure if it was actually THE MAIN street of old town but it was a busy one) and this side street and just said "No way". A few moments later as we walked away we turned around and saw another sketch guy riding his bike past us and down that street...Ya, we aren't going back until the police make an honest, solid effort to clean up the city and the beaches. If people can link articles detailing solid, long lasting efforts to clean the city and beaches of crime I will consider this country as a destination again.

Last edited by Cmusic29; 06-27-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-15-2020, 09:08 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
What are the areas of Panama City that you would recommend seeing? And staying? Where are the boundaries of the modern downtown? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas