Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 AM

221 posts, read 797,902 times

Advertisements

Anyone who's been there, how would you describe this city? Is it urban and interesting to walk around? Does it have good nightlife, a fun downtown?

You never hear much about it but I might have the chance to visit there soon. Any information would be much appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Montevideo is not one of the nicest cities in South America IMO, though it does have nice little pockets. One must remember it is an industrial port and as such can have its ugly areas and almost "eastern block" feeling to some areas .

There are some nice parts with lovely Art Deco buildings in the Old Historic and Business district and some lovely residential areas but I think other parts of Uruguay have more to commend them such as Colonia del Sacramento which is far quainter though very touristic .

Montevideo though had a good vibrant cultural scene ( old theaters, bars and cafes, lots of Tango places) and some great night-life when I was there ( quite a long time ago). It was quite poluted on my last visit and could feel quite airless in the heat.

Punta del Este is quite popular with tourists ( you get a lot of Argentinian and Brazlian millionaires there) , an elegant and wealthy resort .

Tourism in Montevideo: Tours, activities and places to visit in Montevideo
I would recommend a trip to some of the pristine beaches in the North of the country .

Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM

597 posts, read 1,297,964 times
I know Montevideo and I can say it is a very nice city. You'll love there.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 PM

38 posts, read 120,282 times
Default Montevideo is fun!

Well, while I would say that Montevideo is similar to other large metro areas, and has it's problem areas, it is a lovely place, and I would not hesitate to spend time there again! I have considered moving there. There are always areas in any city that are industrial, and there is always poverty, but no more than anywhere else.

There are wonderful restaurants, the theatre, music, and the street markets on the weekends. If you need a place to stay while in town, and want an apart-hotel, I can recommend Punta Trouville in the Pocitos area. Good rates, within walking distance of restaurants and some shopping, a block off the rambla, and a very nice breakfast buffet if you wish. No affiliation, just enjoyed my stay... Punta Trouville apart & suites | Hoteles en Pocitos | Montevideo - Uruguay

I agree, if you are going to Uruguay, you need to visit Colonia de Sacramento, though it's a bit touristy and quaint. When are you going? If you go in December, it will be summer, and up the coast, Punta del Este will be full of all sorts of tourists, and the prices will be jacked up to the limits, with a party-hard atmosphere. I am not really "into" that area... the beaches farther north are more my speed... the beaches from Montevideo are really on the river, not the ocean, so the water tends to be brown with silt. Lots of folks take the boat from Colonia across the river to Buenos Aires for at least a day or so... there are vineyards worth visiting in both countries. If you go before the summer "season" from about Christmas through March, Punta del Este will be practically shuttered and dead.

Have fun exploring... and say hello for me. I hope you aren't a vegetarian, though, or you may find yourself with a lack of good restaurants; this is a country that loves roasted meats and maybe a little salad or potato...

Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Montevideo is one of those cities that I put in the category of "OK for a visit if you happen to be in the general area but not a prime destination that you would pick for a trip from a far away continent".

Uruguay is a generally nice place, very relaxed in most places outside the main coastal resort towns in summer. The rolling rural countryside reminds me of driving around parts of South Carolina. Very green, lots of trees and farmland, warm humid summers. Moosketeer's description of some parts of Montevideo as having the feeling of the old "eastern block" is not too far off. Uruguay has largely been bypassed by the global economic changes of recent decades and their economy has suffered a lot, but not quite as bad as their big neighbor, Argentina. I first visited Montevideo in 1972 and most of the city today looks little changed from that era. Another thing that doesn't change - nearly everyone drinks a lot of yerba de maté from a bombilla (silver straw filter), and don't be surprised if a group of people pass around a gourd of maté and take a sip from the same bombilla.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
I heard that Montevideo often doubles as Havana in American films. Anyone else hear this before?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:21 AM

38 posts, read 120,282 times
I wouldn't doubt it, Tiger Beer. The buildings in many areas of the city are very old European, as in Europe before WWII bombed the buildings away... and the number of old American cars in excellent shape, all over the streets, and for sale, would make it fairly easy to pretend Havana. That, and the general population having many of Spanish/Italian extraction... the "look" is there.

As a side interest, we know a couple of Americans into old cars, who have travelled to Uruguay to buy vintage autos and ship them back to the States. The Uruguayans have caught onto "the good thing" they have, and have raised prices accordingly, for the collectors that are coming. I say, good for them!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:48 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,662 times
Can anyone comment more specifically on the nightlife of Montevideo?

Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM

228 posts, read 810,095 times
One of the previous posters had a good comment about Montevideo... Basically if your in that area its worth a visit. Its not the biggest city and it can get boring pretty quickly... I went their and Colonia, Uruguay for 2-3 days. When I was visiting Buenos Areas, Argentina.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,894 times
Default Montevideo- a small but great city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I heard that Montevideo often doubles as Havana in American films. Anyone else hear this before?
Yeh this is true, the old city ("ciudad vieja") was used during filming of the new Colin Farrell version of Miami Vice...the old colonial buildings and the vibe in that area of the city is really unique.

Montevideo is definitely worth a visit, it has a lot to offer...but it is a city that YOU have to go out and find, it doesn't find you. Everything is just that little bit under the radar. But in a way thats what is so great about it...when you find things they are unique and real and genuine, not mass produced for tourists!

There is fantastic candombe (drumming) on the streets in the Barrio Sur and Palermo districts every Saturday and Sunday night, just follow the sound, and its free!

There is so much to know about this great country and its capital city. A great site to check out is Total Uruguay: [url="http://www.totaluruguay.com"[/URL], its a great place to talk to people living there and find out whatever you want to know.

The nightlife is Montevideo is good but it is very different to big citys or life in the US or Euorpe. People don't go out to get very very drunk...it is more of a "social drinking" culture where you buy big bottles of beer and share them...either around a big table in cute small bars or down on the Rambla (seafront) during the summer. Of course there are some big clubs too...but "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" right?

Last edited by irishelaine; 08-31-2009 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: the link didn't show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas