Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Why would anyone in their right mind want to live in a state that has darkness 6-months out of the year, is freezing freak'n cold, and gets so much damn snow ?? Ack !

Help me to understand ...
People who live in glass New Jerseys shouldn't throw stones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
lol !! True, I've never been there. And, I have no desire ...

I do hear there are approximately 10 men for every 3 women ... Why couldn't it be like that here ??!?!?!?!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
two issues with this suggestion
1.) you will have to give a phone number as employers will not "send a letter" for an appointment....and even if you have a cell number with a 907 area code...
2. ) if you are pretending to live in Anchorage what happens when the want you in for an interview in 2 days???? expensive flight if you can get a flight in 2 days...
dishonesty is not the way to start out...JMO
I agree its not totally honest, however, most resumes are not and are exaggerated. You can always say you are out of state at this time and returning in a few days. If its in a few days, oh well . There are always phone interviews if thats an option.
Good luck; is an awesome little place

Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
lol !! True, I've never been there. And, I have no desire ...

I do hear there are approximately 10 men for every 3 women ... Why couldn't it be like that here ??!?!?!?!
Another misconception. Out in some of the more remote areas, that's somewhat the case, but in the more populated areas, it's about the same as it is in many parts of the lower 48.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Why would anyone in their right mind want to live in a state that has darkness 6-months out of the year, is freezing freak'n cold, and gets so much damn snow ?? Ack !

Help me to understand ...
Why would anyone in their right mind want to live in a state that is built upon a garbage dump?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:40 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
plan on sending around 1000$/month for rent and 20-40$ eating out for 2 if you dont order any booze. You can go to costco but its like an ant farm on the weekends. So your job needs to pay enough so that 1000$/month is roughly 30% of your after tax income otherwise your going to struggle with having enough money to really get out and see or do anything fun.

I went out the other day and filled up with gas in my mid size truck, got a new belt at fred meyers (on sale) and a hair cut and it was a 100$ bill so just be aware of that. Even though we refine the oil up here we pay more than most lower 48 locals and the 8 cents a gallon in tax does not explain away that huge price gap, there is some serious price gouging that goes on up here do to lack of competition. I think gas is something like 4.08 for 87 octane.

Unless you have family to live with or some other unique situation that insulates you from the high rent or vehical costs I would not move here for less than 60-70k a year, at 70k a year you could scrounge up an 800$/month appartment and live pretty well, but if your down in the 40-50k range forget it, unless your confident its just a starting wage and you will be around 70k within the year otherwise make sure you have some money put aside to leave becuase the cost of living will eat you alive and you wont have the money to really expereince alaska, anchorage is a cesspool compared to the rest of the state but you really need some bucks to get out and see it in any comfort.

Another suggestion is to live in a low cost of living area (somewhere else in the lower 48) and save up and take a trip for the summer, you could get a cheap appartment in the valley because you wont be tied to a local for employment purposes and have a good time, you can get some dirt cheap rent deep in the valley for like 300-400$/month but if you worked in anchorage the gas would eat you alive but if your just taking a summer to see things its ideal, plus deep in the valley your already out away from the cesspool of anchorage and you could maybe even get a little 15 hr a week job to supplement what you have saved.

Anchorage is a rich persons city, but unfortunatly its also where most of the career oreinted jobs are but often times that "career" pay is not in line with the actual cost of living. My wife and I make 130k combined and we do ok in a decent condo, but thats 130k!!!! We priced actual houses on land and your not going to touch one for less than 350-400k and you would have to have a combine household income of like 200k to keep the mortgage in the 30% range, im not going to be an indentured servant to my house for 30 years and string ourselves out at 50-60% of our income lol.

Also if your single its much easier to find a GF in anchorage than the valley, the valley is where you start getting into thoes skewed male female ratios. Anchorage is about 50/50 but I would say the valley is more like 60/40, just get on craigslist and see what is avalible, plus you may have your apartment in palmer and you find a hook up in wasilla, depending on where she is that could be like a 40 mile drive, when you wanna get laid you will probably make that drive but thats going to chew up some money becuase the "valley" is a pretty huge expanse of area, all the way from sutton to the butte, to willow and to hatchers pass. I have not checked wasilla rent in some time but I am guessing it is closely mirroring eagle river, your likely looking at 800$/month for something half way decent in wasilla.

If you already have a wife your happy with that would be ideal. Maybe find someone where your at that would want to do this with you.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 10,745 times
Smile Job availible working with Eve Venture

Call Dominique Moore to be scheduled for a presentation on the company at : 601-462-1140

Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 AM

87 posts, read 142,942 times
Please don't bust on me too hard, but wouldn't a staffing agency be a safe bet for employment?

That's what I was hoping on when I get there.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 PM

225 posts, read 400,856 times
Here is a suggestion, just come up, find a hostel that takes people long term or answer a roommate deal and sign up with a temp. agency and you are bound to get signed on to a job soon. I know a fella that did that and had a full time job in two weeks.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 PM

87 posts, read 142,942 times
See, that's what I was thinking for all these single folks. I've gone through a staffing agency twice, and I don't think I was unemployed for longer than a week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage