Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:21 PM

23 posts, read 50,519 times

Advertisements

I'm back to my mission, trying to move to Alaska. It's been a long time dream of mine. Now I'm in a position to move but can't find a job. Tried last year but couldn't find a job. It's to risky to just move. I'll be relocating from the lower 48 Northeast. Anchorage or Wasilla area are my first choices. Maybe the Kenai area as well. Open to just about any location. I've applied to quite a few companies in the area.

Comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,786,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
I'm back to my mission, trying to move to Alaska. It's been a long time dream of mine. Now I'm in a position to move but can't find a job. Tried last year but couldn't find a job. It's to risky to just move. I'll be relocating from the lower 48 Northeast. Anchorage or Wasilla area are my first choices. Maybe the Kenai area as well. Open to just about any location. I've applied to quite a few companies in the area.

Comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
what type of work are you qualified for or looking for???

Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Mostly related to materials. Procurement, Inventory, Warehouse, Shipping/Receiving.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:21 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,908,801 times
It's going to be hard to be considered for most jobs long distance, since there are probably enough local applicants who are qualified. If you could save up enough to live on for a few months, or could come up now for a month you may have better success. Even so, the employer may not want to wait for someone to move up to Alaska.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 PM

You're right. I do have enough saved up to last a few months. I'll have to think about. For now I'll just keep applying and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 9,373 times
Put an Anchorage address in your resume. Any Anchorage address, even if its a motel.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:06 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,786,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robelto View Post
Put an Anchorage address in your resume. Any Anchorage address, even if its a motel.
two issues with this suggestion
1.) you will have to give a phone number as employers will not "send a letter" for an appointment....and even if you have a cell number with a 907 area code...
2. ) if you are pretending to live in Anchorage what happens when the want you in for an interview in 2 days???? expensive flight if you can get a flight in 2 days...
dishonesty is not the way to start out...JMO

Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,808,794 times
The very best way to do this is just get here, ( if you have a little money to work with). FIND ANY job... till the right one becomes available.

Waiting where you are; to get a job up here; is doing it backwards in my honest opinion.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,900,167 times
Depending on your background and experience it might be worth looking into government jobs. The hiring process tends to be more standardized which is helpful if you're arranging interviews, prospective start date, etc. from a distance. I think not every AK state job is open to out-of-state applicants, though.
Workplace Alaska-SOAcss: 1HomePage

Have you looked at ALEXsys?
ALEXsys - The Alaska Labor Exchange System - Home Page

Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM

635 posts, read 1,660,273 times
I may be way off on what you are looking for but...what about places/stores that ship supplies/groceries out to the bush areas? I've been reading a lot about areas like Nome etc and it seems that ordering stuff and shipping it to the outlying areas is very popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage