Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:17 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,750,170 times

Advertisements

I keep a notebook that I carry when traveling of places to stay and eat that other recommend....city data forum members have helped us when temporary staying in other states...find apartment, eating places, local interest area etc...glad Degra came on!

Last edited by Rance; 12-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Removed the stuff unimportant stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Good luck to you Degra if you do decide to go through it! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

As for Sushi up in Fairbanks I can suggest Tokyo Express. Near Safeway/Office Depot. It's a tiny hole in the wall place right next to a tobacco shop and a Subway but it is SO good! It was the first place I had ever tried white tuna. YUM!
Oh and let me just say now that I really miss Taco King. I'd love to have their lengua burrito meal for lunch right about now.
Lengua special tacos for lunch today! They were wonderful, but it took almost two hours for the poor driver to get to the office with our order.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Lengua special tacos for lunch today! They were wonderful, but it took almost two hours for the poor driver to get to the office with our order.
you are having one nasty storm up there! the food sounds yummy from this place!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 PM

868 posts, read 1,428,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
you are having one nasty storm up there! the food sounds yummy from this place!
We've dodged the worst of it so far, here in Anchorage, but yeah, it sounds like it's about to get a lot nastier.

My friends back in the lower 48 don't understand why a warming trend like this is such a bad thing, at this time of year.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
We've dodged the worst of it so far, here in Anchorage, but yeah, it sounds like it's about to get a lot nastier.

My friends back in the lower 48 don't understand why a warming trend like this is such a bad thing, at this time of year.
of course they don't! we live above the ice/snow line and people below have now idea how bad it can get!...an this warming thing has wacked it all out of norm!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 PM

275 posts, read 580,145 times
Quote:
I just went through this with my parents this morning. They thought the warmer temps would be good news for us. I had to explain why it was not the case. I must have see a dozen folks off in the ditch yesterday evening coming out of Anchorage on the Glenn

Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,791,978 times
.........and over the course of the winter; you will easily see hundreds more ten at a time on any given day.

For the life of me I just don't see how people end up in those ditches every year.

I've driven that same route for a lot of winters back and forth; Some people don't have the necessary skills required to have control over a vehicle in hazardous conditions.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,071 times
Taco King's calls get routed to Mexico? I thought they went to Anchorage-the person taking the calls has marginal English, just like the staff at the Northern Lights restaurant. I always order the steak Mexican tacos-yummy! Sometimes they are soggy if you have them delivered though. Ask for them to be separate from the side dishes.

Degra, we haven't heard from you! Hoping to find out what you decide-Anchorage is not a fun place to be near homeless, especially since there are so many people who need help. And all the super cheap places that I have seen are full of drugs, alcohol and prostitution. I didn't stay at a hostel like Heathen mentioned because I had kids with me and did not want to share a room with strangers.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:46 AM

97 posts, read 147,794 times
gobrien, yup they do. At least when I used to call the location in Fairbanks. Each time I called the person who answered would say they were in Mexico city. LOL

Only bad about Taco King in Fairbanks is they don't (or at least they didn't) deliver to Ft Wainwright. If I wanted it for lunch I had to go get it.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM

635 posts, read 1,656,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Yep. It's like this (as I see it): up in North Dakota right now, if you have a pulse and a little grit, you can make a TON of money. I'm your age (I'm 23), and the amount of money you will make in North Dakota is more money than people our age have ever seen, by a very wide margin. It's almost obscene. So think about it this way: you go up there, work your ass off, and save as much as humanly possible by living on the cheap, you'll have enough money to move to Alaska on a whim like this with basically zero risk. And as far as I'm concerned, for people our age, that's a big deal, and it's something most can't do.

Also, consider this: if you move to a place under desperate circumstances and struggle really bad, it could very well end up giving you a very poor impression of the place just because of the incredible hardship you went through in that place. And Alaska sure seems to have a lot to offer as far as hardship if you're not properly prepared. You can't exactly just hop in the car and drive to a neighboring state should that state present you with a job opportunity. I bring this up because it would suck if you ended up having a bad impression of Alaska overall because you came upon difficult times upon your arrival. Of course, you could do fine, which would be great.

People in your position are going to ND in droves because it's exactly the kind of place where you can make big things happen for yourself with the paycheck you'll earn. Think about having $50,000 in the bank when you get to AK instead of $1000. And as far as the price of housing, yeah it's high, but so is the pay, and the pay is high enough to cover living expenses and save a bunch of money. I've been considering it myself. Just something to think about that might really help you out.

And believe me, I'm saying this because I care, and because I want to be in Alaska so bad it's ridiculous. It's all I can think about sometimes, so I want to see you succeed, because every time I hear another success story, it makes me want it that much more. But in a place like Alaska, where everything is expensive, and the weather can kill you, and it's totally possible to end up stuck, I feel like it's very important that you do it right. So, I dunno, think about it, and don't consider this "criticism".

Just my non-Alaskan two cents worth. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
Thank you so much for your post...I really enjoyed reading it. I too think about Alaska almost every day and think of ways I could make it happen sooner but I have to be logical and plan a little. My main attraction is the aesthetic beauty. I'm getting older and I am really thinking about what I want to look at every day when I wake up and the type of people that I want to meet and it makes me yearn for it more. But I have to be prepared...I am not a spring chicken anymore and things need to be thought out a bit more than if I was in my 20's. THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage