Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 AM

22 posts, read 57,553 times

Advertisements

Good day!

I have some questions for the folks up there. I think you have the most beautiful state in the country and I think it'll be an interesting change of scenery for me in the long term. You don't have to be overly specific, just give me some ballpark figures, if you don't mind.

* How is the cost of living compare in Anchorage to New York City? How much is, for instance, a taxi around from one end of the city to another and what would a dinner for two cost in a high-end restaurant?
* What is the rent like in the city, in a decent apartment complex? I checked it out on the Google street view and it seems like most people live in detached houses, are there at least some city-like neighborhoods, or one has to expect to live in a personal house there? I'd prefer a place that is NOT quiet, somewhere with constant activity would be ideal.
* Would someone who has never lived in a small city like Anchorage be looked down upon by the locals? Especially someone who has never went hunting or fishing, doesn't believe in God (I'm assuming that locals are fairly religious, because it's a small city)? I'm hearing a lot about locals being extremely suspicious and cautious of any outsiders, but that probably relates most to western Alaska, not Anchorage, am I making a correct assessment here?
* Besides all the great nature-related pastimes that Alaska has to offer, is there any entertainment along the lines of theaters, classical music, museums, opera?
* How bad is the crime situation? I often find that statistics rarely give an accurate picture. Especially when it comes to Alaska, where much of the crime, I assume, is domestic and alcohol related. Is there anything to worry about regarding simply walking down the streets in the city?
* How cold does it get in the Winter? I know that Summers are fantastic up there, which is the primary reason why I'm interested in Alaska. Long and warm days, without the extreme heat, sounds idyllic to me. How short is the amount of daylight in the Winter?
* What percentage of Anchorage residents was born outside of Alaska?

That's about it for now, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 01:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,870,511 times
If you go to the regular Alaska forum there is an excellent Sticky Post at the top that will answer most of your questions initially. Your topic New York (large eastern city) vs. Alaska (huge diverse land) is to broad for anyone to have a reasonable starting point to be of any help to you. If you narrow down your questions after going through the Sticky Post and cruising through the search function I am sure you will get a better response. Good Luck!

Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,849,665 times
This is just my opinion, which is not expert by any means, but... I think you sound like a perfect match for New York City living. I mean, to move to a place as outrageously different and foreign as Alaska (even Anchorage) just for the nice summers... well, there are other places with nice summers, and at least summer in NYC isn't THAT long.

I am planning to move up to Alaska soon myself, and I am constantly preparing myself for the extreme hardships associated with living there. Very dark and cold in the winter, very very very isolated (by lower 48 mentality), I could go on and on. Also, in Alaska, Anchorage is an enormous city, the biggest by far, and if you're used to megaplexes like NYC, well methinks it would be one hell of an adjustment. Not that you couldn't do it, but sounds like you should visit for a bit in the winter time and see what you think. Winter is long in Alaska, and summer is not, so those awesome summers would certainly not occupy a majority of the calendar year.

Just a few things to consider, that's all. Oh, and if you're used to restaurants like those in huge lower 48 cities... from what I hear, you'll be mighty disappointed.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
I think one of the things you really need to think about are the amenities that NYC offers. There is not a broad range of shopping available nor are there a lot of high end restaurants in Anchorage. There are plenty of apartment complexes but nothing bordering on ethnic enclaves like NYC's Chinatown. There are museums and an operatic company as well. ::ANCHORAGE OPERA:: Just don't expect the same variety that you would find in NYC.

People aren't going to care if you're an atheist or even anti social. Your interactions with others will be based on your demeanor & personality just like any other place on Earth. THe main point to remember is not to move to Anchorage & discover that it isn't NYC then complain abvout how it would be better if it was. That'll alienate people faster than you can believe.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,253,644 times
Yeah... What ^ he said.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to duplicate the NYC experience in Alaska, LOL. It's just one of the options that I'm considering, in terms of moving, and am currently in the stage of doing some research. I don't care about shopping and if I do move there, I intend to get into the whole outdoors experience, for the most part. I just want to know what to expect and what better way is there than by asking locals? Tourism experience is never the same. I'll be moving out of NYC either way, for a number of reasons. Even though I love it, I'm looking forward to a dramatic change and it doesn't get more dramatic than Alaska.

I'll poke around the forum for more info

Old 12-18-2011, 12:08 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,440,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTimeless View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to duplicate the NYC experience in Alaska, LOL. It's just one of the options that I'm considering, in terms of moving, and am currently in the stage of doing some research. I don't care about shopping and if I do move there, I intend to get into the whole outdoors experience, for the most part. I just want to know what to expect and what better way is there than by asking locals? Tourism experience is never the same. I'll be moving out of NYC either way, for a number of reasons. Even though I love it, I'm looking forward to a dramatic change and it doesn't get more dramatic than Alaska.

I'll poke around the forum for more info
My husband is from NY; he worked there in the city for over 20 yrs, commuting daily from Long Island. We moved here 11 yrs ago, he never looked back. You couldn't pay him enough to go back, and as a Journeyman Electrician made a whole lot more $$ there in NYC opposed to here. Some things money can't buy, peace of mind from tooooooo many people, traffic, etc...I forgot to add....Taxes!!

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 12-18-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Yeah, taxes look great in Alaska... I just read recently that Anchorage is the most tax friendly city in the entire country.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,947 times
Quote:
Good day!

I have some questions for the folks up there. I think you have the most beautiful state in the country and I think it'll be an interesting change of scenery for me in the long term. You don't have to be overly specific, just give me some ballpark figures, if you don't mind.

* How is the cost of living compare in Anchorage to New York City? How much is, for instance, a taxi around from one end of the city to another and what would a dinner for two cost in a high-end restaurant?
* What is the rent like in the city, in a decent apartment complex? I checked it out on the Google street view and it seems like most people live in detached houses, are there at least some city-like neighborhoods, or one has to expect to live in a personal house there? I'd prefer a place that is NOT quiet, somewhere with constant activity would be ideal.
* Would someone who has never lived in a small city like Anchorage be looked down upon by the locals? Especially someone who has never went hunting or fishing, doesn't believe in God (I'm assuming that locals are fairly religious, because it's a small city)? I'm hearing a lot about locals being extremely suspicious and cautious of any outsiders, but that probably relates most to western Alaska, not Anchorage, am I making a correct assessment here?
* Besides all the great nature-related pastimes that Alaska has to offer, is there any entertainment along the lines of theaters, classical music, museums, opera?
* How bad is the crime situation? I often find that statistics rarely give an accurate picture. Especially when it comes to Alaska, where much of the crime, I assume, is domestic and alcohol related. Is there anything to worry about regarding simply walking down the streets in the city?
* How cold does it get in the Winter? I know that Summers are fantastic up there, which is the primary reason why I'm interested in Alaska. Long and warm days, without the extreme heat, sounds idyllic to me. How short is the amount of daylight in the Winter?
* What percentage of Anchorage residents was born outside of Alaska?

That's about it for now, thanks!
It's very beautiful. Have you visited before? If so, what time of year, and for how long? If you've never been here, please visit before you even consider moving. I did not do that myself, but I didn't come with the expectation that it would be remotely like anything I'd experienced before. And I wasn't disappointed: it's not.

I'll answer your questions as best I can. I am actually pretty new to Anchorage, myself. I've been here since August 2010. I'm not from New York City, but I do love it there, and I lived in Chicago for a while, so I understand a big-city mindset.

Anchorage is expensive, but housing costs here are nothing like NYC. There are apartment complexes here, including some downtown. There is another thread here about living downtown; you should check it out. Downtown is definitely the place for you if you want anything at all like a truly "urban" feel. But know that our downtown has nothing like the density of most urban centers. Don't count on hailing a taxi, you have to call for them ahead.

The locals. Well...we come from all over. A lot of people move here. A lot of them leave, too. If there is, indeed, some reluctance to accept people from "outside," that is a big part of why, I'm told. People are understandably hesitant to get close to someone who may pick up and leave in a year or two. So, to an extent, you do have to "prove yourself,' but not in the way you are thinking. Anchorage isn't the bush, there are lots of people here who have never hunted, probably fewer who have never fished. But neither one is a requirement to make friends. However, if you are opposed to either one and get "in your face" about it, you'll probably not get a very good reaction from most people. It's been mentioned before, but I have to say it again: the fastest way for you to alienate people will be to come here by choice and then compare it unfavorably to the place you just left. The people who love Alaska are just as fiercely loyal to their home as any native New Yorker.

Anchorage is a small city (except by Alaska standards, in which case it's huge), but it's not some Bible-belt backwater. Most people here don't give a rat's ass where you do or don't worship, or if you do at all. Independence is respected here, and pushing one's views on others is generally unappreciated.

Cultural attractions: It's not New York. If you expect it to be, you will be unhappy. We do have a few things, which have been pointed out to you, but not a lot of variety, even compared to other smaller metro areas, like, for example, Kansas City (which, to be fair, is much larger than Anchorage.)

Crime has been a bit of a hot topic on here. We have it, as do all cities, but honestly, if you've lived in any urban area, you've probably been exposed to worse. There are areas I wouldn't walk alone at night, but most of them offer little reason to do so anyway. I live in Spenard, a neighborhood some consider a bit shady, and I have never been afraid here, at any hour.

Winters are cold, but nothing like the interior. It can get just as cold in Chicago as it does in Anchorage. The biggest difference is, the cold in Chicago doesn't last as long. Summers aren't as warm as they are in the interior, either, and it can rain a lot. If our summers are your primary attraction, I would suggest you simply visit for a few weeks each year. Winter days are short. Sunrise today was at 10:12, and sunset will be at 3:40. It can be disorienting, particularly on weekends, if you have no obligations to force you out of bed in the morning. I have a much greater understanding now of pre-Christian faiths whose most important holiday was Winter Solstice!

I hope I have not sounded overly negative about Anchorage, and Alaska in general. I love it here. But if you come with even the slightest thought in mind of comparing it to New York, chances are good you will not. Come visit, see for yourself, and come prepared to enjoy our city for what it is, not to fret about what it is not.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:25 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,744,176 times
Quote:
Yeah, taxes look great in Alaska... I just read recently that Anchorage is the most tax friendly city in the entire country.
seriously....do NOT believe everything you read...ask here...people here will tell you the truth....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage