Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:25 AM

674 posts, read 1,538,944 times

Advertisements

How's traffic in the city? Would you say it's easy to get around or is it slow going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 AM

28 posts, read 39,622 times

I don't know how fast things were going before, but they slowed to a crawl after this happened.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Depends on the time of day but it seems that there are always a lot of traffic on the main roads.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
During the mid days it's actually not bad at all, rush hour lasts from 7:30 to 8:30 and 4:30 to 5:30, unless something wierd pops up and those drivers who have apparently never seen a car on its top or in the ditch or inserted into another car have to crawl by and rubberneck. Then it takes forever.

What I am noticing as of late is that drivers are getting squirrely. They are doing random acts of stupidity, it'd a miriacle I haven't gotten wiped out this winter. Yesterday in Lowes parking lot I almost t-boned some guy in a Chrysler 300 who came out of nowhere between the parked cars at speed. Not sure what that was about.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM

541 posts, read 1,731,056 times
Compared to most of the world. There is no traffic.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:36 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
The traffic volume isn't bad, but the drivers aren't good, either. Most of them try to drive the same in the winter as they do in the summer. And on some streets it's hard to tell where the lanes are, which makes things more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
What I am noticing as of late is that drivers are getting squirrely. They are doing random acts of stupidity, it'd a miriacle I haven't gotten wiped out this winter. Yesterday in Lowes parking lot I almost t-boned some guy in a Chrysler 300 who came out of nowhere between the parked cars at speed. Not sure what that was about.
In Fairbanks we had some dippy girl zip behind us in the Sam's Club lot while we were backing into a spot on the last row. Our ball hitch hit her tire and put about a 6" split in it (at -40F, mind you). Thankfully she got into the tire shop before it went completely flat.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:50 PM

28 posts, read 39,622 times
Quote:
During the mid days it's actually not bad at all, rush hour lasts from 7:30 to 8:30 and 4:30 to 5:30, unless something wierd pops up and those drivers who have apparently never seen a car on its top or in the ditch or inserted into another car have to crawl by and rubberneck. Then it takes forever.
or crawl by and keep the same thing from happening to them because the roads may be slippery due to snow, ice, or reduced visibility along with trying to avoid the strewn about pieces of wrecked vehicles, the people who were in those vehicles, and the police who are directing the traffic.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,944 times
Quote:

I notice you said lately. Do you think it's transplants who recently moved to the city?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPoppa View Post
or crawl by and keep the same thing from happening to them because the roads may be slippery due to snow, ice, or reduced visibility along with trying to avoid the strewn about pieces of wrecked vehicles, the people who were in those vehicles, and the police who are directing the traffic.
Oh, you mean like in the median or the entire other side of the highway? All 3 lanes?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I notice you said lately. Do you think it's transplants who recently moved to the city?
I actually think the long winter is wearing on the psyche of the people of this town. It's not just the recent transplants, they are mostly too busy going 13 mph on the Glenn because it snowed half an inch-but every day is another encounter with random acts of vehicular terrorism. I refuse to be the first person through a green light anymore, that's darn near suicidal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage