Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
I wasn't going to respond - but;

Should the reward of money or (inexpensive) computer equipment be the incentive to home school children?

You are not allowed to spend the money on just anything. You are reimbursed for only approved items or the school purchases approved items for you. Plus you must submit quarterly reports on how your child is doing to your advisory teacher.

I don't know of any family that home-schools just to get the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Thats stupid.... YOU ARE DOING THIER WORK FOR THEM,you should be able to keep the money!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thats stupid.... YOU ARE DOING THIER WORK FOR THEM,you should be able to keep the money!
Hmmmm........

Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:

if that's the theory you are going with, then why is the reimbursement only $2000 per child when Alaska spends on average $15,000 per student?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 AM

287 posts, read 598,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyonthemoveagain View Post
I have been considering homeschooling my children. My youngest isn't due to start kindergarten until this fall. In some conversations with friends, I have heard that AK has a great program where they offer you some sort of stipend and even a computer to homeschool your children. Is that true? If so, what is the name of that program and where might I find information about it? I have Googled and not found much.
Quote:
Its good they pay you!!!!!! (Its MUCH BETTER to home school these days!)
Not debating homeschooling or not homeschooling - debating if getting paid for it should be the motivation for doing it... OP never mentioned motivation for homeschooling other than getting paid for it.

I've known several co-workers who home-school, or private school... and can't blame them after meeting several "young adults" fresh out of public schools - most were morons who new nothing more than texting, twitter and facebook "slang" and were unable to carry on conversations other than what celebrity was screwing what celebrity this week.

But most of the fault for that is the parents failure. I just love parents who think it's a school teachers job to teach them everything.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
This will ve one of the great debates on this generations time. Sorry to say that money, ethics, and morals all play a part in it. If I stay home to teach my kids and the state doesn't have to pay directly for my kids education should I be entitled to some or all of that savings? What about private or charter school vouchers? What about the families that never have kids yet pay into the school fund? Will public schools become a second rate/class education system because only the students whose parents cannot afford to home or private school go there?

There is a certain community benefit to keeping public schools in top shape and with good teachers.

Having said that, there are cases where the public school system has failed students, which is why these are difficult questions to answer.

I don't profess to have the answers, just the questions.

FWIW and a disclaimer My kids are currently in private school, because I just don't trust my local public school system to cater to their learning needs.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times
We have our boys in a home school co-op. Several families have gone together and hired two teachers to teach at our school. We use the money from the state to help offset some of the cost of our school.

The kids at our school have learning challenges and the Anchorage School District was not doing anything to help our kids. In our case the ASDs own testing reveled that our boys have learning challenges and they still would not assist with helping us help them learn.

Our boys are thriving in our school. After two years they went from hating school and failing to loving school. They are all performing at above grade level now.

I hope Alaska does go to a voucher system. It would help the families at our school that are making financial sacrifices to get their kids a great education. It would also give many families the ability to send their kids to a school that is right for their kids.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 PM

28 posts, read 60,288 times
I know this thread is a little dated, but I had a few questions if anyone can answer them.
I home school my kids now. And we are moving to Alaska in about a month. I use the Easy Peasy All in One Homeschool Curriculum. I have been reading through the Alaska home school website and I understand some of it and some of it is a little too wordy for me. Can someone just give me the run down on the home school laws? Like here in GA the GA education website goes straight to the point ~ example: HS must be done by one of the parents, attendance reports must be turned in annually, use any curriculum that you want to use, testing is done on the child every 3 years starting at 3rd grade, etc.
So can someone just give me the basic run down on the laws? I'll keep reading and see what I can figure out. I just thought someone might know some of the basics.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:32 PM

as far as I know there are no homeschool laws. however, if you choose a distance learning program then you have to follow the rules they set.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times
Where you live will give you some options on which home school program you can use. We are in the Anchorage School District and use Frontier Charter school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: