Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:22 PM

63 posts, read 168,583 times

Advertisements

From the looks of it, we're about as close to North Korea as the California coast is. Its seems to me, Alaska would be a viable target - not as much death and destruction as striking Los Angeles (which would undoubtedly assure North Korea's immediate and total annihilation by US retaliation), but still American soil, so it would make a strong statement to hit one of the unpopulated Aleutians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:05 PM

275 posts, read 579,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
From the looks of it, we're about as close to North Korea as the California coast is. Its seems to me, Alaska would be a viable target - not as much death and destruction as striking Los Angeles (which would undoubtedly assure North Korea's immediate and total annihilation by US retaliation), but still American soil, so it would make a strong statement to hit one of the unpopulated Aleutians.
Acutally Alaska is much closer:

Adak is 2850 miles from Pyongyang
Anchorage is 3725 miles from Pyongyang
Los Angeles is 5950 from Pyongyang

Not too concerned at this point.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM

63 posts, read 168,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
Acutally Alaska is much closer:

Adak is 2850 miles from Pyongyang
Anchorage is 3725 miles from Pyongyang
Los Angeles is 5950 from Pyongyang

Not too concerned at this point.
Uh oh. Okay I will come back and finish reading the rest of your post after I have done some more work digging my bunker. It has tripe reinforced walls, and a lifetime supply of dried beans, rice, and also Waylon Jennings albums.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 PM

339 posts, read 588,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
Uh oh. Okay I will come back and finish reading the rest of your post after I have done some more work digging my bunker. It has tripe reinforced walls, and a lifetime supply of dried beans, rice, and also Waylon Jennings albums.
What, no Hank or Willie? Not worried. I don't think they are really that stupid That said it would save me from doing the rest of the work on the place.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM

681 posts, read 1,207,133 times
North Korea reminds me of one of my dogs....lots of random barking, but little chance of it ever biting.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Do you think if we smacked North Korea in the nose it would whimper and run away?

Granted, I wouldn't do that to my dog.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM

287 posts, read 598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
North Korea reminds me of one of my dogs....lots of random barking, but little chance of it ever biting.
That goes right along with "No, he doesn't bite..." right before he does...

That being said - I would think they would go for a bigger target than Adak or even Anchorage for that matter... more "bang" for the buck...

THAT being said - if they did bomb the US I'm sure they considered we could just carpet bomb them for months before ever setting foot there... like we did Iraq...

It was quite a site watching triple A going in the air trying to shoot down planes they had no chance of hitting.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Is there anything really worth targeting in Alaska? Perhaps they'd do it as a warning shot? Me thinks that they would be interested in bigger targets than anywhere in Alaska. As the poster above me states, more bang for their buck.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Is there anything really worth targeting in Alaska?
Yep, the intersection of West 104th Avenue and C Street. If that piece of land were destroyed by anyone all Alaskans and I do mean all Alaskans would load up their flintlock rifles, march straight into Pyongyang, and turn that city into a large bowl of cold noodles.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM

681 posts, read 1,207,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Is there anything really worth targeting in Alaska? Perhaps they'd do it as a warning shot? Me thinks that they would be interested in bigger targets than anywhere in Alaska. As the poster above me states, more bang for their buck.
Let's see....TAPS, Eielson, Elmendorf, FWW, Fort Rich., the missiles at Greely, Kodiak launch facility, one of the busiest air cargo airports in the world (AIA). There are several strategically important targets in Alaska that an aggressor would be interested in eliminating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage