Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM

287 posts, read 598,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
Thanks for the replies. I drive a RWD car, so snow tires for me are an absolute necessity around here. But it is my first winter, so not sure when to mount 'em up.

I've seen a few around town already, but it seems premature just yet.
RWD has nothing to do with your ability to drive in snow... most european car manufacturers didn't start making FWD until the US market forced and BMW and Mercedes still don't... and if you look at the trend with US cars, they are going back to RWD. There is nothing wrong with RWD, it's usually the driver that's the issue...

The key is you need to SLOW DOWN and don't drive like an idiot... GOING is usually not the problem, STOPPING is the problem.

And like others have said, they don't do squat on snow and don't wait until the day it snows or be ready for lines.

***When I took my driving test xx number of years ago in Maine, it was snowing with 6" on the ground, plus the 18" that was already there... I asked if I should reschedule and the reply I got was "You're going to have to drive in it at some point, why not now."

It was a '77 dodge monoco... big 4door land yacht of a car... BTW, no snow tires, just all weather radials... and yes I passed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
In Idaho we stopped using studs and just go with a good all weather tire: snow/ice type works on the
black ice also.
Studs just caused us to skid and skid ....

HW my .02 cents.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:21 AM

202 posts, read 355,880 times
If you need to have the winter tires mounted on your rims than I would make an appointment around october 15. You probably will not need them yet but when the first snow hits all the tire shops are swamped with change overs. If you are going to be here more than a couple of years buy the extra rims, mount the tires and put them on when you need to.
Put a couple hundred pounds of sand in bags on floor of back seat and in trunk. carry a shovel and a tow strap for when you get stuck and know where to hook the strap on your car.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
RWD has nothing to do with your ability to drive in snow... most european car manufacturers didn't start making FWD until the US market forced and BMW and Mercedes still don't... and if you look at the trend with US cars, they are going back to RWD. There is nothing wrong with RWD, it's usually the driver that's the issue...

The key is you need to SLOW DOWN and don't drive like an idiot... GOING is usually not the problem, STOPPING is the problem.
While I agree that just about any type of car can be operated in the winter given proper driving technique, that doesn't mean that mechanical limitations of a given design aren't a relevant consideration. Yes, for a RWD car the key is to slow way down. But if you are driving in a high traffic density urban environment, this creates a whole set of additional hazards for the other drivers as well.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen an RWD vehicle take up an entire green light cycle just to get out of an intersection because the vehicle can get going more than about 0.1mph without breaking the rear end free. This creates unnecessary bottlenecks and traffic hazards (other cars stuck behind in the intersection when the light changes), not to mention provoking the other frustrated drivers to take unnecessary risks in order to navigate around this rolling roadblock.

In addition to proper driving technique, the key to successfully operating an RWD up here in the winter as mentioned above are good studded snow tires with lots of extra weight above the rear axle. But even then, the RWD configuration is not optimal for winter conditions (as compared to FWD, AWD, 4WD, etc). Probably the reason RWD is starting to make a comeback has more to do with the availability of modern, electronic traction/stability control systems that can somewhat compensate for the mechanical limitations of RWD (in slippery conditions).

Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 PM

63 posts, read 168,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinhomer View Post
If you need to have the winter tires mounted on your rims than I would make an appointment around october 15. You probably will not need them yet but when the first snow hits all the tire shops are swamped with change overs. If you are going to be here more than a couple of years buy the extra rims, mount the tires and put them on when you need to.
Put a couple hundred pounds of sand in bags on floor of back seat and in trunk. carry a shovel and a tow strap for when you get stuck and know where to hook the strap on your car.
Excellent answer and thanks for your post!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:15 PM

287 posts, read 598,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
While I agree that just about any type of car can be operated in the winter given proper driving technique, that doesn't mean that mechanical limitations of a given design aren't a relevant consideration. Yes, for a RWD car the key is to slow way down. But if you are driving in a high traffic density urban environment, this creates a whole set of additional hazards for the other drivers as well.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen an RWD vehicle take up an entire green light cycle just to get out of an intersection because the vehicle can get going more than about 0.1mph without breaking the rear end free. This creates unnecessary bottlenecks and traffic hazards (other cars stuck behind in the intersection when the light changes), not to mention provoking the other frustrated drivers to take unnecessary risks in order to navigate around this rolling roadblock.

In addition to proper driving technique, the key to successfully operating an RWD up here in the winter as mentioned above are good studded snow tires with lots of extra weight above the rear axle. But even then, the RWD configuration is not optimal for winter conditions (as compared to FWD, AWD, 4WD, etc). Probably the reason RWD is starting to make a comeback has more to do with the availability of modern, electronic traction/stability control systems that can somewhat compensate for the mechanical limitations of RWD (in slippery conditions).
And I agree with some of what you are saying, it still can lead back to driving techniques... most people are heavy footed when stopping and taking off... and they think the 'el cheapo tires they bought have nothing to do with it either... I drove back home for many years with nothing but RWD - FWD was not as ready an option as it is today and the last car (?) I had was an El Camino... a truly horrible vehicle in the winter time, but like your suggestion, I had cobble stones in the back in a frame over the axle and it helped considerably with taking off... did nothing for stopping and FWD will do nothing as far as stopping is concerned...

Old 09-28-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
And I agree with some of what you are saying, it still can lead back to driving techniques... most people are heavy footed when stopping and taking off... and they think the 'el cheapo tires they bought have nothing to do with it either... I drove back home for many years with nothing but RWD - FWD was not as ready an option as it is today and the last car (?) I had was an El Camino... a truly horrible vehicle in the winter time, but like your suggestion, I had cobble stones in the back in a frame over the axle and it helped considerably with taking off... did nothing for stopping and FWD will do nothing as far as stopping is concerned...
I hear what you are saying. But remember, your theory has one fatal flaw - you are relying on the average Joe to take the time and effort to become a competent driver. While you may be an exception, most schmucks on the road can't even take the time to put down their damn cell phones or shut off the stupid boom box long enough to even consider putting some actual thought into safely operating their motor vehicle!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
most schmucks on the road can't even take the time to put down their damn cell phones or shut off the stupid boom box long enough to even consider putting some actual thought into safely operating their motor vehicle!
Way more than once I've almost had an accident because of some imbecile running a stop sign, or red light, or suddenly slamming on their brakes while talking or texting. Both those activities are just as dangerous as driving drunk and they should be given the same punishment as a DUI.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
and they should be given the same punishment as a DUI.
Personally, I think a good beating with a night stick or a tazer would work as well.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 PM

482 posts, read 874,544 times
I just have to post this: when I need a giggle, I come read the AK forum. We are hoping to get up soon, just waiting for the green light. So, in the mean time, I read CD. In my Houston thread, there is nothing funny, ever. I come here, nearly every thread has something to make me chuckle over. Thanks guys. I needed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage