Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 AM

836 posts, read 1,779,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
If your luggage isn't checked all the way through, you would have to go through passport control at Frankfurt, claim your luggage, clear customs and head upstairs to the Lufthansa counters in Hall A. There is a ton of time, so there is no need to worry if this needs to be done.
That's the case. And the worst part, I guess.

I am trying to tell them forgo the check-in luggage to avoid all that hassle, just mail it if it causes so much pain in the rear. Don't know,.. so far the daughter is set on using the free chance to transport the gifts and the mom is freaking out Poor thing

Quote:
If your friends mom was more comfortable with the travel situation, I would recommend getting a day room at the Sheraton Hotel. It is attached to the airport and you can walk from the hotel to the security line for terminal 1 B in less than 10 mins.
No chance of that!!! Just the description of the sequence will make her dizzy!

Quote:
I'll let you know on my contact and if they'll be traveling through the airport on the 26th.
...on the 25th, you mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM

275 posts, read 580,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
That's the case. And the worst part, I guess.
I know Condor and Lufthansa have an interline agreement, meaning they will accept checked baggage from the other airline and transfer it to their flights. The same goes with Alaska and Lufthansa. I just don't know if Alaska with interline the luggage all the way to your final flight. They should, but a call to Alaska Airlines would answer the question.

Quote:

No chance of that!!! Just the description of the sequence will make her dizzy!

...on the 25th, you mean?
If they leave the Seattle on the 25th, they will arrive in Germany on the 26th. It's an overnight flight.

Quote:
I am trying to tell them forgo the check-in luggage to avoid all that hassle, just mail it if it causes so much pain in the rear. Don't know,.. so far the daughter is set on using the free chance to transport the gifts and the mom is freaking out Poor thing
I imagine that mailing to the Ukraine is fairly costly, so using checked luggage allowance might be cheaper. Then again, are they going to get charged for checked luggage on their Alaska airlines leg. this should be spelled out in their booking Since it is a code-share with Condor, they shouldn't.

While avoiding checked luggage would avoid the hassle, having to claim luggage in Frankfurt isn't something to freak out over or get worked up. As I have said, the signage will get you to the right place. Trust it! All the official signs have a blue background and white lettering. They are easy to spot and really stand out. The airport is well marked, much better than most US airports.

If you want, I can write a detailed walk-thru, just let me know

Key words:
Gepäckausgabe/Baggage Claim - Marked with a suitcase symbol
Abflug/Departures - normally marked with just a symbol of an airplane taking off
Ankunft/Arrivals - symbol of a landing.

Some Sample Signs at Frankfurt:

The above are typical of the airport. Notice the Lufthansa Service Center signs. If your friend's mom doesn't have to deal with claiming the checked luggage, this is where she would head for getting a boarding pass for the Kiev flight.

Remember, the information desks are very helpful. They are marked with a white letter "i" with a blue background. If they can't find the information desk and they are out in the public main terminal, looking for the Lufthansa check-in, they can always walk up to any counter or any person with there itinerary and a sheet of paper that says:

Können Sie mir helfen?
Ich spreche kein Deutsch. Ich spreche nur ein bisschen English.
Wo befindet sich die Lufthansa Check-in Schalter

Can you help me?
I do not speak German. I only speak a little English.
Where is the Lufthansa check-in counter?

Someone will help them and point them in the right direction. I've helped a traveler or two get to where they needed to go in Frankfurt using this exact same method.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
If they leave the Seattle on the 25th, they will arrive in Germany on the 26th. It's an overnight flight.
my only excuse is 2 AM
Quote:
I know Condor and Lufthansa have an interline agreement, meaning they will accept checked baggage from the other airline and transfer it to their flights. The same goes with Alaska and Lufthansa. I just don't know if Alaska with interline the luggage all the way to your final flight. They should, but a call to Alaska Airlines would answer the question.
The tickets were booked & bought separately. So, I think that, at best, they will only go through Seattle
Quote:
Remember, the information desks are very helpful. They are marked with a white letter "i" with a blue background. If they can't find the information desk and they are out in the public main terminal, looking for the Lufthansa check-in, they can always walk up to any counter or any person with their itinerary and a sheet of paper that says:

Können Sie mir helfen?
Ich spreche kein Deutsch. Ich spreche nur ein bisschen English.
Wo befindet sich die Lufthansa Check-in Schalter

Can you help me?
I do not speak German. I only speak a little English.
Where is the Lufthansa check-in counter?

Someone will help them and point them in the right direction. I've helped a traveler or two get to where they needed to go in Frankfurt using this exact same method.
I will print this out, thanks!

Quote:
While avoiding checked luggage would avoid the hassle, having to claim luggage in Frankfurt isn't something to freak out over or get worked up. As I have said, the signage will get you to the right place. Trust it! All the official signs have a blue background and white lettering. They are easy to spot and really stand out. The airport is well marked, much better than most US airports.
It is for HER!
And I get it, too - when there are TOO many unknowns, a person can be virtually blind to some most obvious things - because he has to take in ALL at once, whereas the rest of us will subconsiously filter out and bypass most of sights, lights and movements as irrelevant.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The tickets were booked & bought separately. So, I think that, at best, they will only go through Seattle
Having two separate tickets doesn't negate the ability for airlines to perform luggage transfers. Just show the check-in agent all your tickets/confirmation numbers and ask them if they can check your luggage to the final destination.

I've traveled with more than one ticket and multiple airlines and I've usually been able to check luggage to the final destination. They might not be able to issue the boarding pass, which I would get at the gate, service center, or just print my boarding pass online.

In this current situation, I just don't know if Alaska interlines checked luggage through Condor to Lufthansa.

Quote:
It is for HER!
And I get it, too - when there are TOO many unknowns, a person can be virtually blind to some most obvious things - because he has to take in ALL at once, whereas the rest of us will subconsiously filter out and bypass most of sights, lights and movements as irrelevant.
Believe me, I completely understand how the unknowns can frighten people. I think Frankfurt has done a good job at countering information overload. Keeping all the important information on how to get to/from gates, luggage claim, passport control, check-in and such with all the same background and color. They don't give directions to the restrooms, airport lounges, or anything else in that color. They are strictly for navigating through the airport. As long as you look at the blue signs with white lettering, you can ignore all the other sights and lights.

However, I still understand with all of this in place, navigating Frankfurt airport can be overwhelming for some. As flyonpa suggested, if your friend's mom is gong to be overwhelemed, they might want to use a passenger assistance service at Frankfurt:
Frankfurt Airport | Assistance

Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM

Just got Euros for her to eat in Frankfurt

Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Just got Euros for her to eat in Frankfurt
Although there are ATMs and currency exchanges there, for someone who isn't comfortable finding those, having some euros on hand is helpful. I imagine the exchange rate and fees are not that great here.

Hopefully she eat somewhere other than McDonalds

Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
...for someone who isn't comfortable finding those, having some euros on hand is helpful....
Exactly! There is no way she would've went looking for them and -further- actually attempt the exchange Much easier to stay hungry for 8-10 hours

I imagine she will be stressed out enough without any additional little details.
Actually, I am getting quite stressed out myself, because I have a ton going on right now of my own stuff to sort through, yet, I can't concentrate knowing she needs my help.

Wrote the step-by-step instructions for her in Frankfurt, started doing those for Seattle... and got stuck for now. Having a brain freeze, can't find which concourse her flight is most likely to land (yes, #084). So far, they (and you ) only say C or D, but that's a big difference for her, having to take the train, descend down 2 levels and all... And the lay over is not that long - 2 hours 15 mins So, not much time to gawk around and get lost.

Adding to the mix is that she won't get her Condor (next flight) boarding tickets here and will have to do another check-in there. In that case, I'd need to find location of check-in counters and add that into her "instructions". Unless I can also do check-in online - that would have been perfect! I found a page for that, if our numbers will turn out to be the right ones

And thanks a million!

Last edited by Dreams2Plans; 10-17-2012 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Wrote the step-by-step instructions for her in Frankfurt, started doing those for Seattle... and got stuck for now. Having a brain freeze, can't find which concourse her flight is most likely to land (yes, #084). So far, they (and you ) only say C or D, but that's a big difference for her, having to take the train, descend down 2 levels and all... And the lay over is not that long - 2 hours 15 mins So, not much time to gawk around and get lost.
2 hours is plenty of time to get from the Alaska flight to the Condor flight in S11. This can easily be done in under an hour at a leisurely pace.

The problem about doing a set transfer plan is almost all Alaska Airlines flights will arrive at different gates (C,D, or N) on each day. Even if the gate is set, it could change before the plane arrives at the gate. Since Oct 1, flight 84 has arrived at the C gates 8 times, the N gates 7 times, and the D gates 2 times.

Here is the basic connection walk-thru for Seattle for the Condor connection flight

Arriving at a D gate:
Walk down to Gate D3. Opposite Gate D3 is the elevator, escalator, and stairs down to the Main Terminal North Station. Look for the train symbol and the signs to A,B, and S gates. The station is two levels down and there will be two sets for trains, the North-South main terminal connector and a train going to C and N gates. Take the connector train. It will have signs for A,B, and S gates. It only stops at the North station and South station of the main terminal so won't end up somewhere weird. Take the train one stop and get off.

Once you are at the Main Terminal South Station, walk directly across the platform to the other doors and catch the next train. It will do a loop to the S gates and B gates, and the station you are at, the A gates/Main Terminal South Station. Get off the train at the S gate/International Terminal Stop. If you miss the stop, stay on the train and don't panic. Since the train does a loop, the S gate/International Terminal Stop comes up again shortly. Once you exit the train head upstairs to the gate area and find the departure gate.

Arriving at a C gate:
The entrance to the train transit station is between C14 and the restrooms. Go downstairs and take the train. This train stops at the N gates, the Main Terminal North Station/D gates, and the C gates. Once again, this train does a loop, so if you miss the stop, stay on and the stop will come up again.

Once you exit the train at the Main Terminal North Station/D gates walk directly across the platform and catch the Take the North-South main terminal connector connector train. It will have signs for A,B, and S gates. Take the train one stop and get off.

At the Main Terminal South Station, walk directly across the platform to the other doors and catch the next train. It will go to the S gates and B gates, and back A gates/Main Terminal South Station. Get off at the S gate/International Terminal Stop. Head upstairs to the gate area and find the departure gate

Arriving at an N gate:

The entrance to the train transit station is between N9 and N10. Go downstairs and take the train. This train stops at the C gates, the Main Terminal North Station/D gates, and the N gates.

Once you exit the train at the Main Terminal North Station/D gates walk directly across the platform and catch the Take the North-South main terminal connector connector train. It will have signs for A,B, and S gates. Take the train one stop and get off.

At the South Station, walk directly across the platform to the other doors and catch the next train. It will go to the S gates and B gates, and back A gates/Main Terminal South Station. Get off at the S gate/International Terminal Stop. Head upstairs to the gate area and find the departure gate

Quote:
Adding to the mix is that she won't get her Condor (next flight) boarding tickets here and will have to do another check-in there. In that case, I'd need to find location of check-in counters and add that into her "instructions". Unless I can also do check-in online - that would have been perfect! I found a page for that, if our numbers will turn out to be the right ones
And thanks a million!
You should be able to do an online check-in for both the Alaska Airlines flight and the Condor flight.

If the Condor ANC-SEA-FRA was sold on the same ticket, they should allow you to check in for both flights as Anchorage at Alaska airlines check-in desk in Anchorage.

Even if they didn't you would be able to check the luggage all the way through and just pick up the SEA-FRA boarding pass at the Condor departure gate in Seattle without going outside security. I haven't done is specifically with Condor, but I've done the above with Lufthansa, British Airways, and Delta when I arrived on an Alaska flight. The airlines try to avoid making a traveler go outside of security if they can avoid it. There is too much of a chance to get hung up in a security line/check-in line and missing a connection.

However, if you can check-in and print the boarding passes at home, it is one less thing to worry about. With boarding passed in hand, you would just have to go to the baggage drop off point at Alaska airlines. Remember to show them your tickets for the Frankfurt-Kiev flight and them if they can interline the luggage to the final destination.

The Condor check-in counters are outside of security, near the A gate security checkpoint. However, 2 hours might cut it close for getting from the Alaska flight to the check-in counter, wait in line for check-in and then go back through the security lines and onward to the train to the S/International gates and over to S11. I've gone through Seattle hundreds of times and having to do all of that in less than two hours would be fairly stressful on me. I'm not saying it's not possible, there just isn't much room for inbound flight delays or long waits in line.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Here is the basic connection walk-thru for Seattle for the Condor connection flight
Arriving at a D gate:
Arriving at a C gate:
Arriving at an N gate:
Wow, this is amazing, thanks!! Oh, the power of experience!..

I have translated and written down all scenarios, included frazes to get help with, search or describe a problem, printed & laminated maps of both airports... got euros. Will try to do early check-in... just about everything I could think of, to make things easier. Then I'll say "Whew!"

(I think I need a medal I will then give it to globetraveler )

Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 PM

Whew, she is off to Seattle now.
Hopefully, everything will be fine. It's been quite an experience. Thanks again!

And I am now off to fight my own personal battles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: