Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 AM

103 posts, read 322,822 times

Advertisements

one time when it was -50 something i didnt start my car for too long and it froze solid, i couldnt even get the dip stick out :0

i thawed it out by using a pizza pan and charcoal, my car smelled like a BBQ grill for weeks :P

be very careful if you really have to end up doing smething like that though, of course ive done it too many times to count
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:24 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I've used an empty tin can full of ashes and diesel, placed under the oil pan. Makes all the difference. Even a can that will hold a roll of toilet paper with heet or diesel under the oil pan will warm up the oil pan very well.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
Default Information on Bethel

hello All ,

This is my first time posting a messge on here so forgive my ignorance. as a matter of fact I am not even sure that this is going to post since I dont exactly have a recipient. Anyway, I am looking for information on working in the healthcare field in Bethel, relocating from Portland Ore., availibility of good quality housing (rent or buy), What should I bring with me and waht should I buy when i get there? I have a mllion other question but since I dont even know if I am going to reach anyone I will elave it as it is. thank for any feedback .

Old 11-01-2007, 05:04 AM

103 posts, read 322,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I've used an empty tin can full of ashes and diesel, placed under the oil pan. Makes all the difference. Even a can that will hold a roll of toilet paper with heet or diesel under the oil pan will warm up the oil pan very well.
a soup can filled with a cap full of rubbing alcohol also works too

Old 11-03-2007, 01:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgsippey View Post
hello All ,

This is my first time posting a messge on here so forgive my ignorance. as a matter of fact I am not even sure that this is going to post since I dont exactly have a recipient. Anyway, I am looking for information on working in the healthcare field in Bethel, relocating from Portland Ore., availibility of good quality housing (rent or buy), What should I bring with me and waht should I buy when i get there? I have a mllion other question but since I dont even know if I am going to reach anyone I will elave it as it is. thank for any feedback .
There are quite a few threads dealing with people inquiring about moving to Bethel in the main Alaska forum. As a person living in Anchorage, 600 or so miles away from Bethel, I would have little to add to those threads. Warptman on the main Alaska forum is a resident of Bethel and would probably be the best equipped to answer your questions. But first, I'd check out the forementioned threads to see if any of those questions are answered.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 AM

83 posts, read 316,694 times
You can buy a inline hose heator from most parts houses. It plugs in to your house current and warms up and ciqulates the water thawing out the windows and keeping the interior of the vehicle nice and cozy all night. I had a ford diesel and a chevy diesel that I had these heators on. And I have one on the ford diesel I have here in Montana. I used to live in Anchorage and our winters are colder here! I'm still missing Alaska.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:37 AM

83 posts, read 316,694 times
The above with an oil plug heator, I got mine from the caterpillar dealer keeps your oil nice and thin.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
Default thanks JavaPhil

I jsut got notification to an answer on this thread. even though I sent it beginning of last month. Since then i ahve decided to move to Nome instead. I ahve been here for a week and will leave today to make my permanant move here early the first of the year. thanks for taking the time to comment. Nome is Home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage