Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM

11 posts, read 20,622 times

Advertisements

Hello! Sorry if this winds up being a bit of a novel, but I need some advice/opinions. My husband is graduating with an engineering degree in June and is hoping to get a job as an entry-level geotechnical engineer (BS, but with Masters level coursework in key geotech areas). Anchorage is our top choice for places to move to (from Oregon) for a job--mostly because we would be super excited to live in Alaska, but also because I would be able to transfer my job. He kicked off his job search about three weeks ago and has some phone calls in and applications pending.

My question is, what should we do if he doesn't have a job lined up by July? We would really like to drive to Anchorage, but I know that there's a bit of a small window (May - September) where that's safe and reliable. My husband currently works for a large retailer and could potentially also transfer his part-time job to Anchorage. If we decide to just make the move in August whether or not he's found a position, that might give him the leg up to keep looking through the fall and winter. That said, I'm a bit nervous about uprooting us to a place with a higher cost of living without him having a job.

That said, can anyone speak to what the civil engineering industry looks like up there? It seems like there are more jobs in Alaska than Oregon, but enough to make it worth the move? We really want to leave Oregon, but would theoretically be open to moving elsewhere in the country (though, as I said, Alaska is currently the only place we "want" to move).

Part of me wants to follow my heart and take a risk while we're young (but not that young) and don't have kids. But part of me is worried that we're cutting his career off at the knees by moving to a small community. Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Also, I'd love to hear from people who love Anchorage! I know that everyone says it's not "real Alaska," but I'm very much looking forward to the urban/rural blend.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:02 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,717,521 times
he should have no trouble finding a job. good luck

Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 PM

2,676 posts, read 2,629,828 times
There may be something here that would help (mechanical rather than civil, though):

Mechanical Engineering Jobs » Blog Archive » Mechanical Engineering Job Outlook

Best of luck

Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanthiriel View Post
but I know that there's a bit of a small window (May - September) where that's safe and reliable.
Just to clarify... The five times I've driven the highway up, coming from Portland & Seattle, has all be in the winter. November & January. It's a little more challenging, but still completely doable. And for the drive up, you'll want to get a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . In my opinion, its the best guide to the drive.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM

It's good to know that the drive isn't too terrible in the winter. I've heard lost of good things about The Milepost; I'll have to order a copy.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
There may be something here that would help (mechanical rather than civil, though):

Mechanical Engineering Jobs » Blog Archive » Mechanical Engineering Job Outlook

Best of luck
Thank you!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
He should have an exit plan in case you decide to leave him. This is the LAST place a single male wants to be. There are good engineering jobs up here once you prove you know what your doing.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,888,235 times
Leave it to "Highlife" to add a really inappropriate comment.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Leave it to "Highlife" to add a really inappropriate comment.
Hey man, I call it like it is, I know guys that want to put a bullet in their head because the male to female ratio is so mess up up here, they cant leave because they have kids with their ex's.

He just needs to be aware things can get really really bad over night. I dont know if these are just issues that everyone sweeps under the rug or what?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,057,760 times
Are you dangerous to others or just to yourself?

You're an odd one alright.

Last edited by blackzzz01; 04-25-2013 at 01:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage