Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,159,707 times

Advertisements

Pictures! We need pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 04:06 PM

44 posts, read 86,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvasek View Post
Does GCI offer the S4? Also which towers does GCI use when you are in other states?
Yes, we picked up two of those...plus nation wide....roaming included. I have tried already calling all over and no problems...

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Glad you made it safely!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM

49 posts, read 106,730 times
Congrats! We're anxiously awaiting our trek next July!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 PM

63 posts, read 183,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Pictures! We need pictures!

Sorry, I do not know how to post pictures on here. Also we decided NOT to drive, we hired a service from uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - Ship Freight, Furniture, Cars or Moves

We flew from Houston, direct flight 7 hours.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 PM

173 posts, read 380,952 times
Flying is the only way to go. Ship the stuff you need, give the rest away to charity and enjoy your short flight in or out of the 49th state.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:19 AM

182 posts, read 478,777 times
I made the trip 20 times last year. 10 round trips. It is great. I would do that again if I could. I would like to figure out the shipping deals and doing that for people. How much was your rate with Uship? I am registered on there. But I was mainly doing smaller items like Antiques, and such that I could get good rate for the space occupied. One Vase I brought up was 100 dollars. It was the size of a shoebox, but I had it in a bigger box with bubble wrap. Another load were a batch of auto parts. Was a 3x3 foot box, but I charged 550. They were quoted 1470 with their other commercial shipping sources. (I could get from Minneapolis to Matsu Valley for 600 bucks +/- fuel price fluctuation)

GCI uses a mix of Atnt, Tmobile and other 3rd party discount carriers by towns in the lower 48.

I had the Milepost. But I guess I'm number 2 who didn't find it handy. Many of the places hours weren't matching, it is cluttered up.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,131 times
Default Moving to Anchorage, AK in July!

Hi there,

I'm curious as to which route you took! I'll be moving from Houston, TX to Anchorage, AK in July and am trying to figure out the best way to get up there. Moving to Alaska definitely isn't cheap! If you drove, which route did you take and approximately how long did it take to arrive? Any advice for someone who potentially will be making that drive come July?

Thanks!

-Cassy

Old 04-28-2014, 07:03 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
If you drive it, get a copy of the Milepost. The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner .
Typically the cheapest way is to sell as much as you can, load the rest in a uHaul and drive up. But even that isn't going to be cheap. And you have to be eligible to enter Canada and be in compliance on all the rules concerning pets, firearms & past convictions.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Cassy,

I have done the drive from Miami to anchorage and back. Getting ready to do it again. As far as time it took, it just depends and can vary widely. From 6 days to 10 days. How fast you drive, how many hours a day you drive, are you towing? Do you want the fastest route or do you want some scenery along the way?

Now throw in the weather. It's almost May and it is snowing right now in Portions of Canada.

Milepost has all the routes mapped out and what to expect along the way. Learn what you need to get into Canada as previously pointed out. Be prepared for really rural driving with no services for awhile or cell service. Gas is expensive and sold by the liter. Could be $6-$7 a gal equivalent. If you can exchange dollars for loonies and spend them all before you get to AK.

Get ready to have to use outhouses and bring your own TP. You go fast because, well, they stink. And this if you are lucky to have an outhouse at the pull off. Watch for animals some you are the prey. Some will make for a bad day if you hit them as they are as big as a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage