Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 AM

121 posts, read 342,486 times

Advertisements

Anchorage, by the way, is warmer than Minneapolis in the winter (although that city has much warmer summers), based on the most recent 1981-2010 climate averages.

Although I don't live there anymore, I agree with the above poster who states that he can't recall the last time it was -30.
My family still lives there and it doesn't that far below zero.

During the most recent 'polar vortex' much of the nation had back in January, AK was having normal to above normal temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 01:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialta View Post
Anchorage, by the way, is warmer than Minneapolis in the winter (although that city has much warmer summers), based on the most recent 1981-2010 climate averages.

Although I don't live there anymore, I agree with the above poster who states that he can't recall the last time it was -30.
My family still lives there and it doesn't that far below zero.

During the most recent 'polar vortex' much of the nation had back in January, AK was having normal to above normal temperatures.
I went to the University of Minnesota and lived in St. Paul for several years. The winters were indeed colder than Anchorage. Although Anchorage gets more snow on average.

The summers in Minnesota can be unbearably brutal. It can be 90°F with 90% humidity. Without air-conditioning, you can wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. Not a pleasant experience.

South central Alaska rarely sees temperatures above 80°F, and being on the coast helps to keep the humidity low. One those rare days is just about the only time there are thunderstorms in south central Alaska.

According to NOAA, the ten coldest temperatures in Anchorage were:

December:
  1. -36 on 12/25/1917
  2. -36 on 12/24/1917
  3. -34 on 12/20/1917
  4. -33 on 12/15/1946
  5. -33 on 12/23/1917
  6. -33 on 12/21/1917
  7. -32 on 12/10/1918
  8. -30 on 12/14/1964
  9. -30 on 12/28/1961
  10. -30 on 12/27/1961
January:
  1. -35 on 01/30/1947
  2. -34 on 01/05/1975
  3. -34 on 01/31/1947
  4. -34 on 01/29/1947
  5. -34 on 01/27/1947
  6. -34 on 01/26/1947
  7. -34 on 01/25/1947
  8. -33 on 01/28/1919
  9. -32 on 01/19/1951
  10. -32 on 01/18/1951
Source:
http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/climate/pdf...%20Records.pdf
http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/climate/pdf...%20Records.pdf

So it definitely does get that cold in Anchorage. As we begin another cooling phase, we can expect to see these -30°F and colder temperatures return to Anchorage in the near future. Anchorage temperatures only go back to 1916. We generally go through a 35 year cooling period followed by a 30 year warming period, and we have been in a cooling period since 2010.

Last edited by Glitch; 04-23-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 01:25 PM

16 posts, read 18,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

While most dogs will bark or make a "false charge" at wildlife, some breeds behave very differently. For example, mastiffs typically will not bark at wildlife. Nor will they make "false charges." Instead, they will insert themselves between their owner and the perceived threat and silently watch. This is the type of behavior I want in a dog when it is around wildlife.
My boys are all great danes, which is half mastiff basically. 1 is a velcro dog and wont leave my side, one (the smaller one ironically) has an intense prey drive for squirrels, chickens and other small critters. Truth is, I dont know what either would do in the situation of a large critter. I would also keep them on lead until they know the area. We have purchased 40 acres that abuts state land, I want them to know where they are. Secondly, GPS collars and third.. .amazing recalls. Which they dont have. SO i will continue working with them and after we have lived there a while, know what is out there in our area and seen what the reactions is to something other than a turkey, then i will revisit the topic

Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeefire View Post
My boys are all great danes, which is half mastiff basically. 1 is a velcro dog and wont leave my side, one (the smaller one ironically) has an intense prey drive for squirrels, chickens and other small critters. Truth is, I dont know what either would do in the situation of a large critter. I would also keep them on lead until they know the area. We have purchased 40 acres that abuts state land, I want them to know where they are. Secondly, GPS collars and third.. .amazing recalls. Which they dont have. SO i will continue working with them and after we have lived there a while, know what is out there in our area and seen what the reactions is to something other than a turkey, then i will revisit the topic
Great Danes are wonderful dogs. I am particularly fond of big dogs.

I had a female Whippet/Lab mix (Sandy) that also had a strong prey drive for smaller critters. Squirrels in particular were her pet-peeve. One time, about 20 miles up-stream of the Talkeetna River I was camping on the bank of the river with Sandy and a decent-size beaver crawled up the bank into camp to check us out. Sandy took off after the beaver, which just dropped back down into the river, and she dove in after it.

The bank was fairly steep on the north side of the river. The current took her about a quarter mile down river before she found a spot where she could get out. She was never fond of moving water after that experience.

That was the only time I had a problem with a dog in the bush. While I have had lots of critters in my camp over the years, they typically only appear when I am sleeping in my tent - with my dogs. I do not camp at designated campsites. Designated campsites are designed for areas in the lower-48 where there are no bears. They are too small to be considered safe in bear country.

I break my camp into three areas, like a triangle, with each area about 50 yards apart. In one area I set up my tent and sleeping gear. In another area I set up my campfire and cooking gear. In the third area I hang my food and the dog's food between two trees at least 50 feet apart, and about 15 feet in the air. I never bring any food to my sleeping area, and I am always armed for bear.

Always keep your dogs close, and know which direction the wind is blowing. When walking upwind I pay a great deal of attention to the behavior of my dogs. They are more likely than I to know if a critter is ahead. If you are hiking with the wind at your back, the critters ahead of you are more likely to know you are coming and get out of your way.

I realize this may seem a bit callus and self-centered, but one of the reasons I bring my dogs with me when I go for a hike or camping is to provide a distraction long enough for me to defend myself, and them if need be. A bear or moose will first have to contend with my two dogs before they deal with me. My dogs are not capable of doing any harm to either a bear or a moose, I have no delusions about that, but they can provide a distraction. My dogs may also be injured or killed in their attempts to distract the critter, I have to accept that possible consequence. They still make a good defense, and very well may save me from being injured or killed.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 AM

16 posts, read 18,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Great Danes are wonderful dogs. I am particularly fond of big dogs.

Always keep your dogs close, and know which direction the wind is blowing. When walking upwind I pay a great deal of attention to the behavior of my dogs. They are more likely than I to know if a critter is ahead. If you are hiking with the wind at your back, the critters ahead of you are more likely to know you are coming and get out of your way.
This is once again, solid advice, thank you!

I would be devastated if something happened to my dogs and it was my fault but if they saved me and I was acting responsible, i would be thankful. Great Danes are like Rotties in that you dont ever have to train them to be protective of their family. They will likely stand between you and trouble without a second thought. This is both a positive and a negative trait.

They are also not very active, and my dogs fit into this box with one exception. I have one that is overly hyper but very sweet. (Imagine a 150 pound dog who stands 6.5 feet tall on his back legs) I have to exercise him more than the others. Luckily he is my velcro dog and is easy to keep with me off lead. I will not be taking any of them off lead though. Not for a long time

thank you very much again! you rock!!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Imagine a 150 pound dog who stands 6.5 feet tall on his back legs
I can imagine. A dog that can look me in the eye without me having to bend over.

Even most humans cannot do that.

I wish your puppies a long and healthy life.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,642 times
Quote:
I thought I would join in, introduce myself.
My husband and I along with our 2 Great Danes are moving to right outside Palmer from NH in a few weeks. We are excited and nervous. We are hoping to keep the jobs we have and have already purchased a home.

My question is: around here, I take my boys into the woods and set them free off lead. They dont have the greatest recall as a pair .... So looking for input on the off leash stuff.
Train your damn dogs maybe?

Or, fenced yard. Or, leash.

Just what we need, two more giant dogs running around loose with another owner with no control over them.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:36 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,426,642 times
Quote:
Btw, does anyone ever com back here and say they are leaving? Would love to know why lol
The average length of residency in Anchorage is something like 3 years. People really do not listen when told about the negatives including the high cost of living, the bad drivers, and the brutal weather. They make their money then run. That is why Anchorage is such a lousy place. Hardly anyone is invested in the community so no one cares to make it better.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,233,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
The average length of residency in Anchorage is something like 3 years. People really do not listen when told about the negatives including the high cost of living, the bad drivers, and the brutal weather. They make their money then run. That is why Anchorage is such a lousy place. Hardly anyone is invested in the community so no one cares to make it better.
Its hard to be invested in the community when a decent house in a nice area costs half a million dollars.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
I hope to break thru the average.... and be there a lot longer than 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage