Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM

75 posts, read 87,785 times

Advertisements

Fairview has a higher concentration of residents so it appears bad compared to the hillside which is less densely populated. I know several attorneys that live in that area. Near Orca isn't as bad because like someone mentioned, its on the border. Closer you get to Gambell(alphabet run) the more problems you will have. I work in Fairview everyday so I as well as anchorgeak have some first hand knowledge.
Those apts on Gov't Hill are the same way. Large concentration of people in those units; about 30 apts per building and over 15 buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:15 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Thanks Glitch for the map and explanation.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:19 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,757,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Hey Glitch, how is the Government Hill area? I'm looking at the North Pointe Apartments near Elmendorf as they're not too far from the VA.
Hey Wynternight, I have worked at Gov Hill elementary for 13 years. Some of the best chinese food is up there at China Town. North Pointe is a huge complex & a lot of our neighborhood children have lived there. Perhaps check on the noise levels. With the guarded gates right there in view Gov Hill has always seemed safe to me.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Another area I am falling in love with is Sitka street which is near Fairview but it seems very nice, I did have a chance to drive though that little neighborhood and it seems very safe but is just outside of Fairview. Is there much spill over crime to Sitka street. Do they have problems with crime from Fairview on merril field? .
Sitka starts in the port, breaks, then lies near Mush Inn (not my favorite area) & Cal Worthington, then breaks again. Then it is the western boundary of Airport Hts. We like that area & even looked seriously at some condos to buy in Airport Hts there by the Chester Creek trail, Eastridge area. We ended up buying instead up against the university trails, College Gate area- really nice area. Look at condos in College Alps.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:27 PM

ps IMHO, there really are no ghettos in Anchorage. I have a number of teacher friends who live in Fairview & even Mountain View. But of course, they are not buying or selling drugs, wandering the streets at night or hanging out with any gang-wannabees. My students have come from both areas to our lottery Gov Hill schools & there are many fine families residing there merely for the lower rent housing.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,515,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Hey Wynternight, I have worked at Gov Hill elementary for 13 years. Some of the best chinese food is up there at China Town. North Pointe is a huge complex & a lot of our neighborhood children have lived there. Perhaps check on the noise levels. With the guarded gates right there in view Gov Hill has always seemed safe to me.
Thank you, bongo. The noise level from the base is one thing I definitely need to look into. I lived in Virginia Beach and whilst not too close to Oceana we did get a pretty fair amount of noise from the jets there.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 PM

75 posts, read 87,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Thank you, bongo. The noise level from the base is one thing I definitely need to look into. I lived in Virginia Beach and whilst not too close to Oceana we did get a pretty fair amount of noise from the jets there.
I lived in VA Beach as well and in my opinion it is not as noisy(I remember the NAS planes circling Lynnhaven Mall and helios buzzing over my house near Indian River Rd). There is some noise because they fly right around there (runway nearby). You can see it on google maps. We do not have the same amount of air traffic by far.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:59 PM

I would have to interrupt teaching on Gov Hill due to the jet noise & put my fingers in my ears when they came over when I was out a recess duty. But this only happened occasionally or in spurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage