Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 04:55 PM

836 posts, read 1,663,419 times

Advertisements

Great to see you serious about living your dreams, Chris.

The other posters gave you good advice. if I had it to do over I wouldn't have spent hundreds shipping a bunch of stuff like I did- better to just buy it there.

Taking a scout trip is great idea, almost essential for what you want to do. The reality of rural living in Alaska is quite different as has been said.

I recommend renting in Anchorage first giving you a good home base to look for work and then home.

Fairbanks is both the hottest and coldest spot I've been in AK and much more challenging/a drag sometimes. You're taking on enough challenges without adding the most extreme weather to them at first.

There are some great people up there but also a lot of gypsies who get by playing others for what they can; don't mistake kindness for kindness

We look forward to hearing how it turns out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 08:12 PM

20 posts, read 51,108 times
I plan on renting for a few years till I have money saved up to own a house. Places does cost more but as to what I've seen houses are a lot nicer, bigger type of look. I've seen nice 4br with great decks and updates etc for 2500$, can't really get that here in FL.
I will continue to be on here until I move and then more so we all will find out how it goes.

Thanks guys for all the support and answers!!
Really helps a lot!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csbest12 View Post
I am prepared to get cold I know. I'm gonna move during summer so I don't die.
In the summer, it is the mosquitos that you have to worry about.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 AM

167 posts, read 422,788 times
Just a note. If you are going to drive through Canada remember that you should get a Passport. Send for your passport at least a few months before you want to travel because some times it takes a long time to get one. As mentioned, get a copy of the book MILEPOST (called that because the road up is marked with mileposts ) so you will know exactly where services/attractions are located. Three years ago my daughter finished her degree in Vermont near the end of May, packed up her car and drove herself to AK . She mostly camped (she is an experienced outdoor person) in areas where she wouldn't be alone. I think she only did 2 nights in motels because of really stormy weather. At the time we got a lot of good advice from the fine people of the AK forum! For some good advice search the forum for the thread: How safe is it for a young, women to drive the AL-Can and camp by herself? Dream big, plan well and ALWAYS respect nature/Alaska, She doesn't suffer fools lightly. Best of luck.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2AK&ME View Post
She doesn't suffer fools lightly. Best of luck.
Reminds me of that old saying, if your are going to be stupid you better be tough. Even though the below image is fake...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage