Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:45 PM

45 posts, read 82,999 times

Advertisements

Oh! And for those of you who also have a Toyo, where do you keep the sensor on the wall? I have read so many different places that are supposed to be "correct". The owner has it placed behind and to the left of the toyo about 4.5' from the floor. It is also placed on the same wall as ALL the big windows (chalet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Buy thicker blankets.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittyBea36 View Post
The fan was actually going the wrong way. I just flipped the switch, so maybe it'll make a difference? I also bumped it up to medium speed. We also all sleep with fans in our rooms for the "white noise" so maybe I should turn them around where they are facing out the room instead of inside?
Yes, place the fans on the floor near the doorway so that they pull the cold air from the floor inside the room and blow it out and up toward the ceiling at about a 45* angle.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 PM

460 posts, read 608,867 times
Fans can end up costing a few dollars a month to use. you might want to check into electric blankets. I know a long time ago I was able to buy a wall picture that had a heating element on it and you could turn it on a few hours before you were going to use the room. Unless the room is being used a lot, electric blankets might be the way to go.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 PM

482 posts, read 874,607 times
What are you using the loft for currently? Maybe the kids can sleep there.

We live in Texas so our temps are nothing like yours, but we have a wood stove. In the room with the wood stove the ceiling is vaulted. We could not believe the different when we turned the fans backwards it is even a thousand times better than the blower on the stove.

Our main issue (like you) is that some rooms heat better than others. For those colder rooms we use heavier blankets but in your situation I would use electric blankets and put the kids to bed in lots of layers including wool socks. It seems like younger kids don't keep their blankets on very well so you may have to do the space heater if they are young.

I am a huge penny pincher so I would probably just make them sleep in the loft to kill two birds with one stone.

Good Luck and I hope you report back

Old 12-02-2022, 02:45 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Exclamation All resistive-electric space heaters are 99.9999% efficient (but still more expensive to run than fossil fuel heat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittyBea36 View Post
The oil company we use recommended that we get electric oil-filled heaters ($44 at a local hardware store) for our bedrooms. Does anyone else use these? How energy efficient are they?
The "oil-filled" electric are exactly as efficient at turning dollars into heat as any other resistive electric space heater, with the added excitement of sometimes exploding.

https://www.heaterrecall.com/have-yo...ement-program/

Old 12-02-2022, 03:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
once we get in bed and covered with warm blankets ,does it make that much a difference how cold the room is?
do your kids wear wool underwear?
Or is it different in Alaska?

Old 12-03-2022, 02:04 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
once we get in bed and covered with warm blankets ,does it make that much a difference how cold the room is?
do your kids wear wool underwear?
Or is it different in Alaska?
No, it isn't any different...and it wasn't any different 8 years ago when the OP first asked the question. What you want is to keep body warmth close to the skin. Wool is one way to do that but there are others. Not everyone can wear wool as a base layer. I can't. Wearing wool underwear in bed would keep me broken out in never ending itch and rashes. I wear some sort of cotton, quick wicking fleece, or silk blend head to toe instead. Remember nightcaps? There was a reason they were invented...unheated houses. Putting something on your head can keep you quite a bit warmer. The main drawback of trying to stay warm while wearing cotton is getting it wet. Shouldn't be an issue under covers, in a bed, surrounded by a functional house.

I sleep better in a chilly room so I don't heat my bedroom. It hovers around 50F in there in winter. I have an old fashioned feather bed on my mattress, thick fluffy flannel sheets, either a wool blanket, a down or synthetic poly fiber comforter in a non-slippery cover on top. All those materials share one characteristic...they all loft well (lots of tiny air pockets throughout), so they are all good at trapping and holding on to the warm air my body heat creates. Creates a snug cocoonlike nest. If you have a slithery fabric comforter cover it will tend to slide off. You can get covers with corner ties to help keep them on your bed. It is important to keep your bedclothes dry, so pull them off the bed every morning for a while to allow accumulated body moisture to escape.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-03-2022 at 02:16 PM..

Old 12-04-2022, 02:49 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
I have a small space heater, an oil filled space heater (I think that's what you guys were talking about), and one of those looks-like-a-Franklin-stove space heater.

I use the small heater and the stove heater and turn both off at night. I did try to use all the heaters at one time but that blew a fuse, so right now I just use the two heaters above, mainly because I can slide the small heater under the table and keep my feet warm.

I was almost going to give away my oil heater but from what I'm reading here, maybe I'll hang on to it. I didn't know they worked so well.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:05 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Anybody use an electric blanket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage