Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 PM

482 posts, read 874,715 times

Advertisements

My husband drives a Dodge Diesel truck. I know with diesels you have to be careful starting in the cold. He is considering installing an engine block heater.

I know that there are not many places to plug in, but I have read that some of them are actually fired off your diesel (or gas) itself. I am thinking we would like this type.

Some people say that they set timers on theirs to begin warming a few hours before work. Does anyone have a timer on theirs?

With his work schedule (some days, some nights) we want to be sure if he is leaving home or work at 5 am that he will never be stranded.

Can I get some input from people who have diesels or who have experience with this? He will be in a position at work that not getting there is not an option, and we'd prefer not to wait a long period for his engine to warm, so this seems like the best idea.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 05:04 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,762 times
I have driven diesels for about 10 years now. Depending on the year of the vehicle the reccomended temp to plug in changes. My current rig (2011 f350) will start in -40, but they reccomend plugging in at zero. My first diesel did not like starting below zero. Not sure about the newer Dodges, your owners manual should tell you. There is an article about why you should plug in at +20f, and it makes some sense. Instant heat is nice and the motor does not sound as loud when started. Yes they make timers and I have seen on this site postings of cities giving them away. No reason to have 800-1000w heater plugged in all night.

Never heard of an engine block heater that is fired off of fuel itself. (I thought that is what glow plugs are for) I have heard of in cab heaters that work that way. Does Not mean that they do not exist. Also may want to look at battery and oil pan heaters. Plus a front end cover do when you drive in sub-zero temps you do not freeze the block. I also do not know where he will be working so some of this from my research may be overkill for anchorage. I only visit the cold...

Old 10-03-2012, 05:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
You plug in a block heater and time it to come on several hours before start up, i've never heard of warming the engine with its own fuel without the motor actually running.If you have a link to this type of system i'm sure many of us would be interested in reading about it..Thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
It's called an "auto-start" it monitiors the temperature of the engine coolant. When it falls below a set point it automatically starts the engine back up and keeps it running until a specified temperature is met. Then it shuts it down and goes back to a monitoring mode.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
My husband drives a Dodge Diesel truck. I know with diesels you have to be careful starting in the cold. He is considering installing an engine block heater.

I know that there are not many places to plug in, but I have read that some of them are actually fired off your diesel (or gas) itself. I am thinking we would like this type.

Some people say that they set timers on theirs to begin warming a few hours before work. Does anyone have a timer on theirs?

With his work schedule (some days, some nights) we want to be sure if he is leaving home or work at 5 am that he will never be stranded.

Can I get some input from people who have diesels or who have experience with this? He will be in a position at work that not getting there is not an option, and we'd prefer not to wait a long period for his engine to warm, so this seems like the best idea.

Thanks.
Hope these links help ya! good luck.
Espar HeateR Systems | A World of Comfort | Coolant Heaters

Fuel & Fluid Warming Systems & Products

Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 AM

So this would all make more sense if I wasn't an auto idiot. So can anyone link me to a specific product that would work off the diesel? I think we are going to look in the Valley since we want a little land, does that have a bearing on what I need? The thing is that if I take it to a shop here in Houston they are going to look at me like I have 3 heads. If we do end up driving, that will be because it's winter. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with our kids and be stranded. I am scared because I've read to never turn your engine off in extreme temps because it may not restart.

Another note, we have a GMC Yukon XL which is basically a Suburban. It is gas of couse. What do I need?

I appreciate you all letting me pick your brains. I can not say "thank you" enough.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
I drive a dodge cummins too.

Yes. there are heaters that "fire" burn diesel to keep the engine warn and the cab, made bt espar. they make one for your dodge.
Depending on the year you could already have the tabs attached to your frame for it.Espar Heater Systems | A World of Comfort | Air Heaters
this heater will work anywhere and with out being plunged into 110V.

With the espar you would not need the "auto start." as it will keep everything toasty warm.

Next use synthetic oil.

I use an out door timer to plug the truck into.
Depending if it's really cold -15 or below I would just plug it in and let it heat it all night.
At -10 orabove, 3 hr before you intend to leave should suffice.

lastly batteries.
How old are they?
Dave them load tested.
if you get new batteries (always replace in pairs) get some with the highest CCA that will fit in the battery tray.

And it does not matter gas or diesel treat your fuel with a additive in the winter to prevent freeze ups/gelling.

In the extreme cold gas engines are not all that much less problematic than diesels.You will still need engine heaters, good batteries, synthetic oil.

Last edited by snofarmer; 10-03-2012 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 AM

That link shows heaters, but I thought they were for the cab of a big rig?? Is it the same heater, you can just choose where to put it? Either in the engine or in the cab? I need to find out what type of oil he got, he just had it changed 2 weeks ago. As far as fuel additive, is this the same stuff you buy at Walmart that you just dump in the gas tank? Is it one of those options on the gas pump? Where do I get it and do I use it with each tank of fuel? You guys really are the nicest bunch of people. I can not tell you how much I appreciate it. It makes me kinda warm and fuzzy LOL.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
There is A espar heater model that is made for your truck.
it connects to the frame of the truck.

yes, you can by a additive at wall-mart try using the stuff that is called "power service" there is a white jug for winter, gray for summer and a red 911 if you already are gelled up.
Hint, we don't call it a gas tank as the diesel does not use gas it's a fuel tank

The fuel you buy should be treated/blended for the temps you are seeing already, think of it as a insurance policy.
When the temps drop below 0*f I would treat every tank.
But then I run a additive most of the time.
as you never know when your going to get some bad fuel.
While some never use a additive.

but looking at your avg and record temps the coldest temp for Anchorage is only -34*f ,(Jan)
We see those temps too. but remember Anchorage also had a record high temp of 50*f (in Jan)the same month the record low was set
synthetic oil, good batteries, and plunging it in and you should be fine.

I don't use synthetic oil I run 15w-40 all winter, but I don't let it sit outside of work all day or night unplugged.

Good batteries is the trick.

but the espar is nice if you plan on going to the interior of Alaska away from the coast as it gets a lot colder the further inland you go.
but you can do it with out one (a espar) if you can plug it in and have reliable power or a back up power source.

Last edited by snofarmer; 10-03-2012 at 09:05 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
Explore the link a little more. It has engine heaters (coolant) as well as cab heaters. No, they're not the same. If you want engine AND cab, it'll take two heaters.

I often buy my fuel additive at Walmart (it's cheaper there), but there's more than one kind of additive. You probably can't find the right kind in Houston, but once you get into the colder climates you will. At the fuel pump in cold weather you'll want diesel no. 1, but that's for it's lower flash point. That means it'll burn better when it's cold.

But with diesel you must also be concerned with the fuel gelling -- getting too thick to run through the lines. That's taken into account at the refinery, as fuel made to sell in colder months is mixed differently, but I wouldn't count on that. I've had my diesel fuel gel while driving, and the coldest weather is NOT when you want your engine to quit and leave you stranded. Get the anti-gel additive (not in Houston) and always add it when refueling during the winter.

Gasoline won't gel, but it'll get ice crystals in it that'll block the fuel lines, so it's important to add a can of gas line antifreeze to your tank too. This is even more important if you park your car in the garage during the winter. That promotes condensation in your tank - water, which is why ice crystals form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage