Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times

Advertisements

In our nice warm climates we only have the one green pump handle too... Colder climates you will see D1 and D2 ath bigger stations - usually there is only ONE D1 pump and the rest are D2. Looking at the specs on both, it shouldn't be an issue to run straight D1. The only thing is that D1 has slightly less energy (BTUs) than D2, so you will get lower MPG's running it. It is that property that makes in flow in colder temps. I would trust the person that posted the mixing guidelines, obviously they have more experience in it.

Good to know that Dodge puts the block heaters in most of their diesels from the factory still. Ford and Chevy quit doing that a few years back unless your dealer is from a colder climate. They never think you might actually drive to the COLD!

I agree - 3500 dually's are big. I have a long bed single rear wheel F350 and have the same issue. But in the truck world - you are a 'light' truck - and that works to your insurance advantage. Medium Duties start at the 4500/5500 Series (or F450/F550) level... I believe they go up to F750 now too. Don't listen to the marketing hype of Heavy Duty/Super Duty... Not really the size of the vehicle or how much it weighs, but more on what it is rated to pull/haul.

BTW - the good news is that Diesel in Canada is typically cheaper or the same as regular unleaded in Canada... The bad news, it is still expensive!

Check to make sure you got the heater, but the cord is $18.00 here - Cummins Block Heater Power Cord 5.9L 6.7L Diesel

Cummins Block Heater Power Cord 5.9L 6.7L Diesel

Never ordered from them... just found it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 AM

482 posts, read 875,469 times
Awwww Dak. You're such a doll. Thanks for everything. DH said his truck just needs the cord. I am still not sure that's enough and might want to add the kind that is Diesel fired. Like I said, not making it to work is not a choice. Another option might be renting a place in Anc on the weeks he works. Like renting a room or hotel or something. It might be better for the shorter commute and the fact it will probably be warmer.

Sending all you guys some heartfelt Lone Star love! Did I mention that you guys are the greatest?!?!

Old 10-06-2012, 12:31 PM

202 posts, read 356,353 times
Julie
A lot of people commute to anchorage from the valley every day. Is your husband going to be working in Anchorage or out of town on a work rotation shift?
I would not like to have to commute to anchorage every day. That is one busy and fast road.
I commuted to anchorage from homer for 15 years but only at the most once a week. In the winter I parked where I had access to a plug in. Then if needed I got a cab to the airport from there. Really did not need to plug in ever. Good battery synthetic oil will cover you for pretty much anything anchorage has to throw at you.
In homer it is warmer but we plug in pretty much all winter. Why? Well it is much easier on the vehicle engine. I have an outside outlet switched with a timer. The outlet is hot 2-3 hrs in the am then another time in the afternoon works great.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 PM

It is 7 in a row, days, then 7 off. Then 7 in a row nights, then 7 off. With our horse/dog/need a larger than usual house/need some land situation, isn't the Valley pretty much our only option?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
If you are nervous look at battery and oil pan heaters too. Plus I believe dodge or aftermarket makes radiator (or arctic) fronts. Then there are aftermarket alarms that will start the vehicle depending on inside temp or time of day. I had a code alarm two way remote start on my 2004 excursion that would do that.

I think alot of it is overkill, but it would be peace of mind. Depending on age, also change your truck batteries as suggested already. Again, for peace of mind. Hear kills the batteries and you do not realize it until the first cold spell hits.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM

You might find a big enough place on the Anchorage hillside pricey but closer.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Is the Hillside like Eagle River? How much is pricey? Probably out of our range!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
Is the Hillside like Eagle River? How much is pricey? Probably out of our range!
I live 200 miles south but I had friends on the hillside You pay for any view. But there is a lot of property without view which is more reasonable. Look at craigslist and alaska mls lots of pictures of property and this should give you an idea of price range.

I have one question about you guys I am still a bit confused about . Your husbands shift sounds like a slope rotation. Is your husband working in Anchorage and will need to commute to town every day or Drive in one day on Wednesday and fly up north for a week?
Look at some web sites like adn or ktuu or ktva and it will have a little more local info about up here.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
Don't use straight #1, many vehicle MFG's recommend you don't use straight #1.
Your Dodge has a Cummins engine, they do not recommend the use of straight #1
for your engine

The fuel (#2) you buy at the station will be climatized for you.
An antigell will be in a additive package that is added at the fuel depot and or is will a blend of #1 &#2 and a additive.
This blend will be up to 30% of #1.
This weatherization is good for down to -40*f.
The station will also carry a additive you can add yourself when the temps fall or get around this temp for added protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
At the fuel pump in cold weather you'll want diesel no. 1, but that's for it's lower flash point. That means it'll burn better when it's cold.

A winter front as Dakster mentioned is a very good idea.

You can buy all sorts of heaters for fuel, batteries, oil and coolant .
Are they all necessary no, do some use all of them yes.

Remember your dodge has a fuel heater that is in the fuel filter mount.
once it is running warm fuel, the fuel that is not used by your engine will be returned to the tank.

If you don't want to be stranded where you can't plug it in. remember all of all of those heater can't work unless they are plugged in.
1. good batteries
2. winterized fuel
3, synthetic oil
4. a winter front, if you like heat in the cab.
and a espar heater is a very nice addition.

"Good to know that Dodge puts the block heaters in most of their diesels from the factory"still
"
Dodge doesn't do it, cummins does every engine has a block heater.
What happens it Dodge grabs the cord for it.
They will sell it to you or you can buy one one line if it didn't come with one,
The block heater is located behind the oil filter location, it is covered with a black plastic cap.
Just remove the cap and attch the cord,

Last edited by snofarmer; 10-08-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
ps,from Cummins.
"Use good quality diesel fuel from a reputable supplier. For most year-round service, No. 2 diesel fuel meeting ASTM specification D-975 will provide good performance. If the vehicle is exposed to extreme cold (below 20 degrees F or -7 degrees C), or is required to operate at colder-than-normal conditions for prolonged periods, use climatized No. 2 diesel fuel or dilute the No. 2 diesel fuel with 50% No. 1 diesel fuel.

If the vehicle is exposed to extreme cold (below 20°F or -7°C), or is required to operate at colder-than-normal conditions for prolonged periods, use climatized No. 2 diesel fuel or dilute the No. 2 diesel fuel with 50% No. 1 diesel fuel. This will provide better protection from fuel gelling or wax-plugging of the fuel filters."

Most of the heaters mentioned are used to keep the engine warm.
lets talk about oil pan heters they are not needed with synthetic oils as the synthetic does not thicken as it gets cold like conventional oils.
The owners manual recommends 15W-40 as long as the temp doesn't go below -18C (0 Degrees F)
Then below that they recommend 5w-40 synthetic.

Now have those batteries load tested because.
Not only cranking a cold engine a drain but When the temperature is below 59 degrees, the intake manifold heater cycles to warm the air entering the cylinders. The heaters draw more current than the alternator can produce when running, so the voltmeter sees the heaters drag down the voltage. Cycling may continue for several minutes in cold weather.

Warming up a diesel is funny. When the air is really cold, it hardly heats enough to burn the fuel that is injected. Letting it sit and idle only makes it worse, as the chamber temp does not rise much. Most of the fuel energy does work (runs the engine), and the poor thing can't warm up. You gotta load it some to get some waste heat in the exhaust and water jackets. However, you can't load it too much because it can't burn all that fuel, and you just wash the cylinder walls and puke out smoke (unburned fuel).
start mine, let it run ,oil pressure will rise and then a bit of time. I drive gently for a bit with very light load. Moving the truck gently is enough. After a couple to several minutes when it is just beginning to know it is running, put on a little more load. Pretty soon, the water temp gauge will budge and your battle is over. The giant has awakened and is ready for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage