Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 7,088 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be moving to the Anchorage area in a couple months, probably to Eagle River. I have what may be a few odd questions about Alaska living. I think I've already researched some of the more basic things, so these are just my left-over questions. These are the little things I still wonder about:

1) Bird feeding: Is it advisable at all? Even within a fenced back yard or from a second floor deck? Would it only draw bears and moose? Do they break through the wood privacy fences? Should I even bother moving any of my many bird feeders?

2) Is it safe to go on short trail hikes in the summer with my six year old, just the two of us -- not on any long hikes in the back country, but just on the short and well-traveled, well-maintained trails?

3) What are the options for young kids in the winter-time to stay physically active? Are there indoor play areas that are reasonably priced? My little one is not very athletic and tires easily. He has autism along with some health challenges. A high energy kid he is not. But he needs to be active in the winter, or he loses skills. So in other words he will not be able to ice skate any time soon, but if there is somewhere he can go to climb and play and swing indoors, that would be ideal.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 03:40 PM

202 posts, read 357,782 times
There is a law against feeding birds in the summer here due to attracting bears. We feed birds all winter and stop feeding them about now. There are lots of trails and little parks to walk around in that are safe. Some of the trails are near salmon streams just stay away from them in the summer and use them in the winter.

It is almost spring up here.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:15 PM

Okay, good stuff to know. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:49 PM

167 posts, read 423,765 times
If you end up in Eagle River I hear this is a good resource for reasonably priced indoor activities.

Eagle River Program Center

Welcome to Alaska.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,561,608 times
To the OP - This was a concern of mine as well - as we are planning on moving to Anchorage soon. (and maybe ER at one point) FWIW, I have two kids. A tween and a teenager. We do plan on learning winter activities as well.

Anyways my disclaimer: I don't know how far you are willing to go for this exercise and what you consider "affordable". So this might not be good for you.

Reading the threads here, someone mentioned H2Oasis and indoor water park in Anchorage and thought that might be a good thing to try for us. It is open all year long, and looks like they even have classes where the park isn't open for general admission - so you might be able to get to use it without a lot of people - which is my goal. Personally, I am a little demophobic (uncomfortable around large crowds), one of the reasons AK in general appeals to me.

Is water exercise good for you ad your child? Anyawys, we will be checking this out once we get there and make a decision whether it is right for us or not. I have never been to it -- and of course you would need to do your own suitability look/test. And of course, I assume that you don't have a problem using a "public" pool.

H2Oasis Indoor Water Park, Anchorage, Alaska

Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the ideas for indoor exercise! My kiddo may be able to get used to water exercise over time.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:17 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,752,013 times
When you come into Anchorage you should check out Bouncing Bears. I take the grandkids 2, 3 & 6 and they like it a lot. Probably want to try a weekday instead of a weekend. On the weekends it can get busy and loud.

BOUNCIN' BEARS Anchorage, Your Family Entertainment Center

Old 04-14-2014, 03:35 PM

Thank you. I looked this up, and it looks perfect! It's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: