Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Hi, I lived in Alaska for nine months. Yes, bring a LOT of money. As much as you think you'll need, you'll need much, MUCH more. You'll need it to survive.

My No. 1 Tip, and it's really not a tip, it's just what you have to have ... get a sturdy, 4-wheel-drive vehicle outfitted with an engine heater, studded tires, GPS system, and emergency kit. Anyone who tells you that you don't need this is full of b.s. and probably cannot afford it.
People go a little overboard like living in Anchorage is similar to living in a vast artic tundra with no civilization. They are a proud people and make sure and tell you that it's cold in Alaska as often as possible, oh by the way it snows there. It's soooo rugged and dangerous.

if you plan on going off road or you know people who live in areas where the roads arent as well kept as in the city then a 4-wheel drive vehicle makes sense. Otherwise, the roads are pretty much clear in the winter. Important to remember that you have at least a front wheel drive vehicle as they handle better on the slick roads. I've driven a 07 Honda fit since I've lived here and havent had one issue. I do suggest that you get 4 studded snow tires. That's pretty much made my car bomb proof because they are so low to the ground anyway and handle really well. Your standard GPS system will help if you're new in town but again, you're in a city not the middle of the north pole

Just like traveling ANYWHERE in the lower 48, if you plan on going long distances especially in the middle of winter then an emergency kit would be helpful, bottled water, etc...common sense stuff. You don't need to tote all that nonsense around if you plan on staying in the city.

If you have a full garage then you'll be fine with out the engine heater. Not many places to plug them in anyway, (work, resturants, movie thearter parking lots) Of course they're fairly inexpensive. I've gone with out a heater since I've been here and it's not because of a lack of funds. However I won't presume to know your financial situation, looks like Melissa has got that covered. We get it Mellissa you're better than everyone else because you have money. Stay classy babe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
This thread is 18 months old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage