Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:32 AM

14 posts, read 28,296 times

Advertisements

One thing I forgot to add in the original post! Make sure you notify all your credit cards and bank that you will be traveling through Canada and to Alaska, otherwise they will deny your cards when you try to use them! (fraud protection). I brought cash for an emergency but never needed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 01:18 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,110,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ry1n View Post
One thing I forgot to add in the original post! Make sure you notify all your credit cards and bank that you will be traveling through Canada and to Alaska, otherwise they will deny your cards when you try to use them! (fraud protection). I brought cash for an emergency but never needed it.
That is a good point. I called my credit card companies and told them the dates I would be traveling through which states, through BC, YT, and in Alaska, as well as what my new address would be in Alaska and gave them my cousin's number in case of an emergency (I didn't know if my phone would work in Alaska).

BofA called my cousin's house in North Pole at 0400 the day after I got to Alaska saying that my credit card had been stolen (it had not). He was not super happy about that. When I told the fraud department that I had called a week before to tell them my travel and moving plans, they said they had no record of the call.

It's official. BofA sucks.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:54 PM

15 posts, read 43,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchambers587 View Post
I'm oving from Northern Cal to Anchorage. Your post was very helpful.
Have you ate at the oh gosh, I can't remember????!! They make their own beer. Alaska Amber and God is it good. Something Factory. Excuse me while I shoot my memory. The Peanut Farm is good too. I was always up there in August and loved sitting on the back porch looking at the salmon going by. The last house they owned was Seawind Drive. I put it on my favorites and get homesick when I look at it. Ok, I'm weird.

If you look on my Facebook page you will find a post from a friend Marc Pratt. It's the sun sitting in Anchorage. It looks like an angel. I think the sitting sun in Anchorage in the winter is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

Yeah, there are a lot of myths about Alaska. People ask me about them all the time. Christmas 09 the weather was warmer in Anchorage than in Lexington, KY.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:57 PM

15 posts, read 43,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
That is a good point. I called my credit card companies and told them the dates I would be traveling through which states, through BC, YT, and in Alaska, as well as what my new address would be in Alaska and gave them my cousin's number in case of an emergency (I didn't know if my phone would work in Alaska).

BofA called my cousin's house in North Pole at 0400 the day after I got to Alaska saying that my credit card had been stolen (it had not). He was not super happy about that. When I told the fraud department that I had called a week before to tell them my travel and moving plans, they said they had no record of the call.

It's official. BofA sucks.

My daughter lived at North Pole for three years. The subdivision was right across from the Christmas place. She liked Anchorage better than Fairbanks.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 10,130 times
I am planning on moving there in april and I have a few questions about your drive and savings to move. what do you drive? what did you pay in gas? did you stay in hotels? what improtant information do you think I need to know before making the drive... I live in Phoenix az... how much ( if you dont mind me asking) did you save to move? ( driving/gas/food/hotels/apartment expenses...etc...) its my first major move... very nervous that I wont have enough money to make my alaskan dream happen.
any and all help would be great...

Old 10-25-2014, 12:30 AM

April would not be my first choice for when to drive up here. Where in Alaska are you thinking you're going to move to?

I drove a 4-cyl 4WD Tacoma pickup (fully loaded with everything I owned) 3600 miles through BC and YT to North Pole and I think I spent about $1200 in fuel, but I'm not sure. I have it written down somewhere. I earmarked $2000 for my drive up but did not spend that much because I slept in the back of my truck. Unless you love being cold, cramped and dirty, you probably don't want to opt for this cost saving measure. I also did not eat at restaurants, fast food places or the expensive junk food out of fuel stations. I bought food and water from the grocery store and ate that, which saved me money as well as stomach aches, no doubt.

However, I had (unplanned, obviously (which you should by all means plan for)) vehicle trouble, fortunately at one of my sister's houses, which I only knew about because I religiously check all my fluids, etc. (hint, hint). So I was "only" delayed a day, which could have been a disaster because it was already mid-October, and I did not have to get a new radiator as I might have, again, because I religiously check all my fluids, etc. Nevertheless, this was an additional, unplanned expense.

Here is another thread where people have shared their thoughts. I recommend reading the whole thing.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...a-how-did.html

There are so many things that need said here, but I am on call and I just got an emergency callout.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:46 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontano84 View Post
I am planning on moving there in april and I have a few questions about your drive and savings to move. what do you drive? what did you pay in gas? did you stay in hotels? what improtant information do you think I need to know before making the drive... I live in Phoenix az... how much ( if you dont mind me asking) did you save to move? ( driving/gas/food/hotels/apartment expenses...etc...) its my first major move... very nervous that I wont have enough money to make my alaskan dream happen.
any and all help would be great...
I've driven up six times in April for work and seems like each time was different except one thing, you will encounter snow, but didn't cause me any problems. I've driven up with Ford Expedition, Ford Ranger 4WD, Jeep Compass and Nissan Frontier 4WD. Need 4WD only one time and that happened during a late Nov return home.

You can go to Gas Buddy and check fuel prices for US and Canada. You can also get a fuel cost estimate for your trip. Your mpg will determine how much it will cost you. My 4WD trips were more expensive.

It would take me 7 - 8 days from GA and I would stay in motels 3 times at most (unless my wife was with me). I camped nicely in back of my trucks. When my wife was on the trip we were in SUVs. I found lodging to be pretty expensive in Canada and Alaska. You should be able to do some research and get an idea of how much lodging will set you back. I carried a lot of food with me and would mainly snack while driving, except, of course, when my wife was along.

BTW, my move wasn't permanent since I work there for 5-6 months. My employer provides housing once I get there. I would estimate it takes me $1500 - $2000 for each trip up from GA. Again, the higher figure when the wife is along.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:07 AM

7 posts, read 10,130 times
Our lease is up on our place on march 31st, so we would be leaving that day. So unfortunately, later in the season wouldn't work. We might be pulling a 6'x9' uhaul trailer. But after reading all of the posts, I am nervous about towing anything. We drive a midsize SUV so we were planning on staying in the back to save money on hotels and maybe staying one night half way. When you camp, are you just staying at truck stops on the way? Are there a lot of places to park and sleep?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,866 times
Won't find many truck stops along the way in Canada. You will find pull out areas, but sometimes a great distance apart. I never could figure out a method to know where they're located, but after my first trip was able to plan better.

More than likely you will encounter snow somewhere in BC and YT. This year I hit it first before I got to Alberta(last wk April). In BC and YT you'll encounter steep ascents and descents with lots of curves. Be careful.

You definitely need the Milepost magazine/guide. It will alert you to what the roads are like and what to expect.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 AM

I slept at truckstops in the lower 48 and one night in Canada. I recommend using a trucker's atlas of North America then following up by Googling them for reviews. Trying to make better time, I didn't stick to my planned stops and one place I stayed in was pretty bad. I have always slept in truckstops while on roadtrips and that was the only time I ever slept in one that was not nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage