Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:57 AM

138 posts, read 270,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You can get all of the whine you want - just read this forum from time to time...

OH wait... You meant wine... Yes, Met is correct. Plenty of drinkable spirits here. I don't partake, but I have seen enough people here that do. And the stuff is in the stores.
LOL. I wonder, are there any strange laws regarding booze? I know there are some dry villages and the Slope is dry. There are states where all spirit sales go through the state government and then there's states like mine where you can't buy booze before noon on Sunday. Are there any notable idiosyncrasies in AK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 03:54 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,109,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT63 View Post
LOL. I wonder, are there any strange laws regarding booze? I know there are some dry villages and the Slope is dry. There are states where all spirit sales go through the state government and then there's states like mine where you can't buy booze before noon on Sunday. Are there any notable idiosyncrasies in AK?
...which reminds me, I accidentally moved to and bought a home in a dry county once.

After I found out this devastating news I went to work (I'd been transferred there after flying back and forth from the sister factory for years) and asked my colleagues why the HELL they would let me do that. They said they thought it was funny. The good news: county line was only 8-miles away.

Back to the subject: I miss good produce prices. I've lived all over the country, among those places California, Florida and Kansas where they practically give produce away. Right now I am craving avocado something fierce.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:02 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Yes, very strange rules in involving booze here...

Some areas are dry, no alcohol AT ALL. You can't even possess it much less buy it. Some towns are "damp" meaning you can have it,m but not buy it. And others like Anchorage are "wet" meaning you can buy it.

Some towns are "wet", but operate like a "damp" town. Bethel being one of them. If someone wanted to open a liquor store they could, but since there isn't a liquor store you can't buy booze there.

And since I don't drink, none of this bothers me one way or the other. I couldn't tell you about the no-booze before noon on Sunday thing... It may be here, it may not... Stiff? Can you answer that one?

Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 AM

Oh I think that is unique to us. I was just using it as an example of strange liquor laws.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,109,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT63 View Post
Oh I think that is unique to us. I was just using it as an example of strange liquor laws.
No booze before noon on Sunday is very common throughout the South. It is referred to as a blue law.

Blue laws in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
No booze before noon on Sunday is very common throughout the South. It is referred to as a blue law.

Blue laws in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok, I take it back, after reading that list I see that our law is pretty tame! LOL.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:30 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,998 times
I miss tree-ripened fruit.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:18 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
Instead of barge and tractor trailer ripened fruit? I hear you on that...

Old 09-26-2014, 05:17 PM

460 posts, read 610,419 times
Yes, especially miss fruit here out in McG. I love peaches that are tree ripened. Usually the ones we get here are hard and have no taste. Sometimes miss not being in the loop, as we call it when we dont hear all the statewide news, ect. I many times will find out things several days, or months later. A lot of our stuff that comes on the radio is repeated and I am not always sure when things actually happened.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:53 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,998 times
When I first came up in the 70's TV programs were taped in Seattle and then flown up. We were watching things on a 2 week delay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage