Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 05:30 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,985 times

Advertisements

Is there a financial advantage to purchasing gas and groceries at Costco compared to shopping for the same at the Commissary and PX on JBER?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:03 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
If you sign up for Costco's Executive Membership, which gives you cash back for purchases (I think it's 2%), there might be.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:35 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
You have to spend 2750 every year at Costco in order to get back 55 bucks which is the cost of a regular membership. So you have to spend that much just to make the executive membership worth it (unless you happen to need a lot of the items that are in the coupon books).

Plus at Costco you have to be really careful what day and time you go and what times of the year to avoid otherwise that place is a horrible nightmare. I am not sure how crowded the commissary gets. My mental health can take a hit far worse than the few bucks I would save going during those times so I will just pay more at fred Meyers.

I maintain a Costco and sams membership just because there are certain items there that are significantly cheaper than at carrs or fred Meyers but I wont be renewing the executive membership (supposedly there are some car rental deals but I have never been able to exploit them in my circumstances).

The fact that I have to be hyper aware of the times that I go makes it unenjoyably so I don't go very often.

Also they recently started closing early on sat which is a major inconvenience.

If you have 6 kids and spend 5 figures in groceries every year then it could be very worth it, and with 6 kids you will probably have a stroke and die when the last one turns 18 lol. So Costco may be your ticket.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Plus at Costco you have to be really careful what day and time you go and what times of the year to avoid otherwise that place is a horrible nightmare. I am not sure how crowded the commissary gets. My mental health can take a hit far worse than the few bucks I would save going during those times so I will just pay more at fred Meyers.
I used to have a job that let me hit Costco or Sam's early in the morning on a weekday. Now I can only get there on weekends. It's a whole different world...

Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I used to have a job that let me hit Costco or Sam's early in the morning on a weekday. Now I can only get there on weekends. It's a whole different world...
If I could only go on the weekends I am not sure I would even get a membership. I bought a tool chest there which was nice but that's a one time purchase. I get my tires else where. I like the big packs of raindeer, huge bags of fruit (fresh and frozen), cereal and toiletries. That's about it.

I could probably wake up early one sat every month or 2 I suppose, but that's its own aggravation. I like to roll out of bed whenever, get a latte and stroll around Costco, but now its become combat shopping and if you don't move fast enough I am worried someone is going to deliberately run into me.

I went last sat and missed them closing by 5 min but got to watch some guy have a melt down because Costco decided it was a good idea to have only one person checking at the door with a massive line past the check stands. He started slamming his cart into other people trying to get out of the store so a manager had to check him out to avoid getting cops involved.

Awesome times at the local Costco. Im just waiting to hear about a shooting there some day.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Usually between 1:00pm and 3:00pm on a weekday are a good time to go to Costco. Avoid them on Saturday at all costs. Sometimes Sunday late afternoon can also be good.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Usually between 1:00pm and 3:00pm on a weekday are a good time to go to Costco. Avoid them on Saturday at all costs. Sometimes Sunday late afternoon can also be good.
That's when I try to go on Fridays but I have found that it seems everyone else in anchorage works a flex Friday schedule as well because its not that much less crowded. I have to work 1-3 all the other week days so that's a non option for me and most likely the OP and most others.

Unless you can go during really odd ball times I would limit your trips to Costco.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Is there a financial advantage to purchasing gas and groceries at Costco compared to shopping for the same at the Commissary and PX on JBER?
My parents shop on JBER and love it. Way cheaper than in town. Not sure about gas though.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:24 PM

5 posts, read 50,991 times
The comm is always better for meat/general groceries, but we buy all bulk items at costco. Also, costco meats are generally higher quality. Milk is way cheaper at costco, and if you have a premium membership you get 5% back on all your purchases at the end of the year.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domish59 View Post
The comm is always better for meat/general groceries, but we buy all bulk items at costco. Also, costco meats are generally higher quality. Milk is way cheaper at costco, and if you have a premium membership you get 5% back on all your purchases at the end of the year.
3%, which means you have to spend 2750 a year to break even. But your right there are a hand full of items there that make at least a basic membership worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: