Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,208 times

Advertisements

I'm an experienced driver in the snow. My question is. What are the chances the roads will be closed in December? Will I be able to make it in a few days? Route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,053 times
The road will be open, unless there's a big weather event, which could shut it down for a few hours or a few days...
Will you be able to make it in a few days? Probably not. Every time I've done it, I had multiple drivers swapping out so we could drive around the clock, stopping only for gas. My best time from Portland is 2 1/2 days. My worst time from Seattle was 5 days due to weather and some mechanical issues.
You didn't say where in Idaho you are, but from Boise to Anchorage is 2,800 miles: http://goo.gl/maps/hH3VA
If you can average 50 miles an hour, that's 56 hours of driving.
In my opinion, The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner is an essential guide to the drive. I would recommend the traditional Alcan, starting in Dawson Creek. North of Fort St. John, fill your gas tank as often as possible. Know that your cell phone will not get reception for large stretches of the road. Make sure you are legal to enter Canada. Have extra food, water and warm clothing just in case you get held up somewhere.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:52 PM

44 posts, read 86,874 times
Just drove from the lower 48n and found snow in the Yukon area. 40 miles before Palmer roads are clear but have to be careful since there are some areas that no one cares about putting sand or anything to prevent slippage. Down hills are dangerous... 5, 6, 7 degrees steep. Be careful and if you are not coming by yourself, better. Fill up the tank in every gas station. Fog in the town of Smithers if you by that town.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 51,142 times
The DOT runs a road cndition report daily. Plan your drive according to what it says for your area. Depending on where you go, things can change daily. And remember to be prepared (extra warm things, spare tire, food water, flares, gas can, and a firearm/ bears pray if you're camping (know the laws for transporting firearms across border!) the Alcan is a long rough stretch w few resources so you'll have to be self reliant for a few days in the worst case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage