Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 21,064 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be moving to Anchorage late this summer. I have read some posts about gravel pits, silt, and old graveyards(joke). We are military. A few people we know live in Eagle River. I do not want to slide off a mountain during an earthquake. Is there a way to look this up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 04:54 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,733 times
Hmm, in the year I lived in Anchorage, I never heard of such difficulties with houses. The neighborhoods that used to exist along the major fault lines were not rebuilt after the big quake - you can still see them in Earthquake Park. Creepy!

But I digress. There's a neighborhood where most of the military live, and be darned if I can remember the name of it. When I lived there, military families seemed to live in this one neighborhood, and it also seemed as though they kept to themselves for the most part. I want to say Fairview or Mountain View?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:08 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,953 times
I wouldn't live in Mountain View, or Fairview. I understand there are crime issues.

The municipality of Anchorage should have land use and soils information. Sometimes you can find it on the GIS masps.

Try looking in these pages. I am not familiar with Anchorage. Good luck.

http://www.muni.org/planning/index.cfm

Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 PM

18 posts, read 76,845 times
I lived their for 5 years and my dad has lived their for around 30 I have never heard of such problems. I would stay as far away for the North East side of Anchorage (Mountain View and Fairview) as possible, its old and full of lots of gangs and crime. I would move as far south as possible that is where most of the regular folks live. The perminant fund has ruined Alaska as far as I'm concerned it has attracted all the losers from all over the world. You couldn't pay me enough to live there now, at least not in Anchorage or anywhere near it.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 21,064 times
Thanks,

Move south and avoid anywhere with view in the name. Our friends live in Eagle River.

Mia

Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 28,106 times
Mia - get a realtor you trust!!!
I'm a civil engr in Anchorage with some experience in local development. Yes, current development in Anchorage/Eagle River is moving into once-marginal lands. Add peat, groundwater, and site condos (the ghettos of tomorrow - built today) to your list of concerns.
What's your budget? Kids? Provide some rough details and we can suggest specific subdivisions or builders for you.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:00 PM

65 posts, read 268,546 times
Default Articmommy

Hey what are the job prospects for civil engr's there in anchorage?
I work for a state agency in the lower 48
but have been looking at adot&pf among others.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:08 PM

9 posts, read 44,280 times
Thought I'd jump in on this thread. I'm also going to be moving to Anchorage soon, June or July, and I've been wondering where I'm going to live. But I'm not going to be looking to buy, just rent. And I'd prefer to live at a managed property, not a private landlord. I'm going to be clerking with the court there so if anyone knows about that, you'll know my budget is.....well, limited. Without crunching numbers I'm guessing I'll be needing to live somewhere between $700 - $1,000 a month. I'll have my fiance with me and she'll be attending UAA there hopefully. Whew, that was a mouthful. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:46 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
Thought I'd jump in on this thread. I'm also going to be moving to Anchorage soon, June or July, and I've been wondering where I'm going to live. But I'm not going to be looking to buy, just rent. And I'd prefer to live at a managed property, not a private landlord. I'm going to be clerking with the court there so if anyone knows about that, you'll know my budget is.....well, limited. Without crunching numbers I'm guessing I'll be needing to live somewhere between $700 - $1,000 a month. I'll have my fiance with me and she'll be attending UAA there hopefully. Whew, that was a mouthful. Anyone have any suggestions?
Best to start your own thread. You will get better responses.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:10 AM

5 posts, read 28,106 times
Default Tomcat - job prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat6369 View Post
Hey what are the job prospects for civil engr's there in anchorage?
I work for a state agency in the lower 48
but have been looking at adot&pf among others.
Depends on what you're used to. If you can tolerate government employment (relatively low pay, shrinking benefits, union issues, a sadly disproportionate mix of lazy or incompetent coworkers mingled with some geniune genius, etc) then things are looking pretty good. The regional DOT office is looking at a serious turnover issue in the next decade where a large majority of the experienced staff will be retiring. It's a good time to get in and move up quickly. Of course, even if you move up at DOT you won't be making an equivalent private salary. Municipality of Anchorage pays better outright but I think state has more variety of work. There's also a lot of talk about how shrinking federal contributions will reduce the work load for the local DOT...yada

I currently work for a private firm. Much better pay and fewer daily irritants. Let me know if you want more dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage