Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:01 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,537,890 times

Advertisements

Not complaining, just observations, and learning.

Pretty darn slick out tonight. Of course it had to rain all day and then the temps dropped below freezing. First drove the wife's car as she has winter tires and studs... Slipped and slid all over the place. Studs sure make a lot of noise and the sparks against the concrete are a form of entertainment for the local kids.

Then I jumped in my truck to pick the wife up from work. (I dropped her off this morning). Hmmm... White knuckle and high pucker factor drive. 4WD all the way - of course some areas were not slippery and the 4WD binds.... Trying to learn when to shift back into 2WD and when not to... The poor guy in the chevy sonic next me probably lost a few years of life when I went sideways in front of him. At least the guy backed off a bit after that.

The base was downright gnarly since not a lot of traffic goes over the roads I used to get to the wife. Didn't know I could fishtail and actually read my back license plate while in 4WD and only going 20 mph....

Anyways, thanks to this forum - I had read up on ice driving as I never have driven on ice before. So I sorta knew what to expect. I never quite understood the 4WD and studs help you get going but don't help you stop thing until today. Only one pucker factor event with stopping, but since I gave myself ample room and was going slow it really was a non-event. Although my ABS computer might tell you otherwise.

Changing speeds (braking or accelerating) or direction seem to be the most perilous. I have never had the need to drive so far in 4WD on pavement before...

Anyways thought I would share my first experience and with some added humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:56 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,881,437 times
Hang in there...we should be getting some snow soon! I think!

Old 11-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Well at least they sanded the roads - so yesterday afternoon and today so far have been a lot better...

I heard today Anchorage should have an average of 17" of snow on the ground - today's count 0".

Old 11-21-2014, 02:30 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,519,341 times
I turned a corner in a neighborhood yesterday doing about 5 mph and found myself looking at the scenery sideways. It was quite lovely, really.

The weather says we'll drop back to normal temps but there isn't any significant snow in the forecast for at least another week.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:07 PM

What I really hate is that the roads are mostly dry, which makes using 4WD a no-no and also tough to make turns on when dry anyways. But then I stop and it is slippery out and I can't get moving again, until I put the truck in 4WD... A couple of times I missed my spot to jump out into traffic because all I was doing was activating the traction control which basically completely defuels the truck.... So now I am learning to turn on 4WD when I come to a stop and then disengage it after I get going. (Luckily I have Electronic Shift on the Fly)

I think a snow dusting or rain is forecast for Saturday night, but the chances are slim in the amount is small.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:58 AM

434 posts, read 532,236 times
Do people who drive AWDs, like Subarus have to worry about this as much?

Old 11-27-2014, 11:07 AM

If they don't they should. There was just a young lady killed on the southern peninsula, who had lost control of her Subaru and crossed the centerline into oncoming traffic. Black ice could care less what kind of vehicle you drive.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:44 AM

434 posts, read 532,236 times
Yikes. This is the only thing I'm worried about when I get up there in a few weeks. I've got a FWD sedan waiting for me.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:54 PM

I've driven every kind of vehicle known to man in winter conditions here. Having the proper tires is a good start to winter driving. Then driving for conditions and allowing yourself stopping distance comes into play.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:47 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,281,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I've driven every kind of vehicle known to man in winter conditions here. Having the proper tires is a good start to winter driving. Then driving for conditions and allowing yourself stopping distance comes into play.
Oh, man. Love those good tires. I had the 'all-weather' tires on my airport rental cars when in the Fairbanks area 3/2011, 2/2012 and 1/2013. I had two close calls--one heading down the north side of Cleary Summit (2011) and the other at Farmers Loop and the Steese (2013). I decided to get the good tires for 3/2014, and rented from a local place. It sure made a difference; I felt like I was actually driving and not skating.

Of course I still needed to be careful with speed and distance and I wasn't tearing around, but I sure felt better having the right equipment on the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage