Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,629 times

Advertisements

I am currently a student enrolled in community college in the bay area, California. In another year, I will be transfering to another college to obtain a bachelors. Alaska looks like a great place to live, because of the numerous outdoor activities: skiing, fishing, hiking,ect. I was thinking about going to UAA because it's not supper cold compared to Fairbanks. I am thinking of getting a bachelors degree in criminal justice and using it to become a game warden, or cop. I know Ancorage has had some bad rep as being like a "big community College", I want a good education that will get me a either job I sugested. Any opinion to this idea would be of great assitance in confirming my choice.

(Also any opinions on the skiing quality of the resorts around different colleges in Alska would be awesome)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 09:21 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
My suggestion - get a degree is something besides criminal justice and you can still become a Police Officer, Game Warden (Wildlife Trooper or Park Ranger here). Most PDs don't require a college degree, but I highly recommend getting one. If you get hired before you have one - once you are out of the Academy and have a little seniority, go back and get one.

IMHO Criminal Justice is just such a limiting degree and it really doesn't help you as much as you think. A degree is always better than no degree. You'll go through a Police Academy which will get you the courses/training you need to do your job. So much so, that being certified in another state and laterallying over, you still get to go to another academy.

PDs always need people that have special skills in other areas. In the future it just makes you more marketable. I know that you are young and not thinking about it, but when you get older the things you want to do may change and having that extra skillset will help you out.

Just my .02.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,629 times
I was going to go for a business degree, but I thought it would't be really accepted as a game warden. But maybe having police expereince would be good enough to transfer after some years. I know english degrees are helpfull as well. I am aslo intrested in pyschology, but wasn't to sure that it could be of usefull asset in my line of carear. If you have any suggestions on types of degres that are usefull and could potientally set me apart ? Thanks

Old 11-26-2014, 11:38 PM

It is more of what are you interested in, besides criminal justice. But everyday 100's of people go through police academies without college degrees...

As my previous post said the STEM degrees are in short supply compared to upcoming demand and there is a push to get US citizens to pursue those degrees. Why? Because we need Scientists, Technologists, Engineers, and Mathematicians in the US. But if none of those interest you or you are not "good" at any of those areas, then I would pick something else. My info is from articles I have read on the internet and also I seem to notice that jobs in those areas are posted with great frequency on the job sites we (wife and I) were looking at.

I am not really here to steer you one way or the other. And really, you should be talking to people you know rather than an anonymous people on an internet forum. My hope is just to get you thinking about it to make the best decision for you. And I am not knocking people that get Criminal Justice degrees either, that may be what you end up taking.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:34 AM

434 posts, read 530,343 times
Requirements for the two major police depts in my county... Both are big depts, with over 1,000 patrol officers.

You don't even need a degree really, they'll simply take 60 credit hours. In any major.

Quote:
21 years of age or older.
Be a United States Citizen.
60 semester hours / 90 quarter hours of study or equivalent Associate's Degree from an accredited college, university, community college, or
Three (3) years active duty U.S. Military service, or
Three (3) years experience as a law enforcement officer. Three (3) years service as a certified Detention Deputy or Reserve I or II Deputy with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office meets this requirement. ( (NOTE: All candidates will be required to attend all basic training regardless of prior certifications)
Must possess a valid driver's license at the time of application and a valid Florida driver's license at time of appointment.
NOTE: YOUR DRIVING HISTORY WILL BE THOROUGHLY REVIEWED AND MAY BE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION.
Must possess a certified copy of a Birth Certificate.
Must possess a Social Security card.
Must complete the prescribed Physical Abilities Assessment (PAA).
Provide a copy of military discharge, DD-214 (if applicable).
May not have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
Must pass prescribed physical examination.
Applicant's vision must meet Florida Drivers License requirements.
Cannot have tattoos that are visible to the public while wearing the standard uniform of the day or Class A uniform (long sleeve).
Must not have used any illegal drugs within 36 months of making application or after the age of 30.
Must be of good moral character.
No felony convictions, arrests or other law enforcement interaction involving perjury, false statements, domestic violence or criminal traffic offenses will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
Will undergo criminal records check which includes fingerprints.
Must be six (6) months tobacco free at the time of application.
Must successfully pass an extensive background investigation and polygraph examination.
At the time of appointment, must live in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk or Manatee County.
http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/getdoc/b...nt-Deputy.aspx

Quote:
QUALIFICATIONS:
Citizenship: Applicant must be a United States Citizen.
License: Possession of a valid Florida Driver’s License.
Certification: Possession of a State of Florida Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer – or – current enrollment in a Law Enforcement Basic Recruit Training Program approved by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission. (Proof of active participation in the Certification Training Program is required to process the employment application. Proof of successful completion of the Basic Recruit Training and State Certification exam results are required to be eligible for employment.
For out-of-state Police Officers and Military Police candidates, Equivalency for Certification is required. Contact the Florida Department of Law Enforcement at 850/410-8600 (www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/officerrequir... for information on the Equivalency of Training process.

QUALIFICATIONS - EDUCATION/WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Possession of an Associate’s Degree or completion of 2 years of college coursework from an accredited college or university (60-semester or 90-quarter hours);- OR-
- High-school diploma and three (3) years of prior law enforcement or corrections experience at a department of medium-to-large size; - OR - - High-school diploma and three (3) years of full-time, active military experience; - OR -
- High-school diploma and five (5) years of experience as a member of the Tampa Police Department Reserve Force; - OR -
- An equivalent combination of college education, related work experience, or TPD Reserve Force experience.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
- State of Florida Certificate of Compliance as a Law Enforcement Officer or proof of current enrollment in the Basic Recruit Training Program.
- High-School Diploma or College Transcript
- Birth Certificate
- DD214 - Military Discharge (if applicable)
- Valid Florida Driver’s License.
Note: Applicants will not be eligible for Police Officer until copies of all required documents have been submitted to the City of Tampa Employment Services Office.

EXAMINATION:
- Evaluation of Training and Experience
- Physical Abilities Test (pass/fail)
- Background Investigation (to include polygraph)

APPLICANTS SELECTED FOR EMPLOYMENT MUST PASS:
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination administered by City designated physicians
- Pre-Employment Drug Screening (Officers are subject to random drug testing after employment with the City of Tampa.)
http://www.tampagov.net/police/join-tpd

Old 12-01-2014, 07:01 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,741 times
I took my flight training in Juneau Auke bay campus of the U of A, however my communications back home, in Chicago, inspired my nephew to enrole at the U of A in Faribanks.

It is a top notch school, and he liked the life so much he stayed there for 4 years of college, and moved to Anchorage, where he resides now, has not been back since.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:24 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith711 View Post
I am currently a student enrolled in community college in the bay area, California. In another year, I will be transfering to another college to obtain a bachelors. Alaska looks like a great place to live, because of the numerous outdoor activities: skiing, fishing, hiking,ect. I was thinking about going to UAA because it's not supper cold compared to Fairbanks. I am thinking of getting a bachelors degree in criminal justice and using it to become a game warden, or cop. I know Ancorage has had some bad rep as being like a "big community College", I want a good education that will get me a either job I sugested. Any opinion to this idea would be of great assitance in confirming my choice.

(Also any opinions on the skiing quality of the resorts around different colleges in Alska would be awesome)
I have friends that attend UAA (Anchorage) and they like it. I think that would be your best choice. The education is good for Alaska standards. You have easy access to all the things you like to do for fun. You are near ANC, so you can easily visit your family without having to sell a kidney for a plane ticket.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:32 PM

160 posts, read 287,654 times
An individual who used to work for on my wildland fire crew received his BS in wildlife biology and management from UC Davis. He took the exam for State Game Warden with CDF&G (now CDF&W). Did the Game Warden/Conservation Officer thing in the few years in the Bay Area for a few years. Took exam for Park Police Officer with a local government park district and hired on with them for a few years. Last I heard he took exam for full-on Sheriff Deputy with Sacramento County where he is today.
All this with a degree in Wildlife Management.
Interesting path...
Good luck!

Old 12-20-2014, 12:02 AM

Good luck with your pursuits.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:07 PM

64 posts, read 112,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith711 View Post

Fairbanks is quite a bit colder than Anchorage, but the UAF is an actual university, while UAA is basically a community college. My father taught at UAF for 45 years, so I should know. It is a great place to study earth sciences (geography, geology), and mining engineering. The English department is pretty good too (surprise!). UAF also has more of a "college feel" to it, while UAA is basically a school for commuters. If you want to get into law enforcement, it doesn't really matter what your major is. But a background in psychology is not a bad idea for a LEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage