Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 PM

24 posts, read 67,773 times

Advertisements

Hey there guys,

I've been living in Alaska for a few years now, and I'm getting pretty tired of renting, so I'm interested in getting either a condo or house in the Anchorage area or in the valley. I'm looking for something I would live in for a year or two, but probably rent out after that. I'm trying to weigh the perks of Anchorage and the valley area, and also either a condo or house. I'm thinking a place in Anchorage would be easier to rent out, but definitely more expensive. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 12:03 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,626,913 times
If you can handle the commute, I'd say the Valley. There's lots of rental properties being built right now and some of them are for sale to investors.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,316,759 times
Build a duplex/triplex/quadplex in the Valley and live in it while renting the other side (s) out. I personally dislike them, but if set up right they can almost feel like two separate homes. It must work out OK for people because I see a decent amount of them in the Valley.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:18 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,142,084 times
Eagle River homes rent easily and quickly to Military families. It's an easier commute to Anchorage. Buy a home, and when you rent it, most likely you will get top dollar. I went with Partners Real Estate to manage mine and they are very good for the 10% monthly fee.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,536,117 times
You have to do the math on what it costs to buy vs. what rent you can get. Houses are cheaper in the Valley and the rents are lower.

I can honestly see it being a good deal in any area, as long as the house is right, the price is right, and the rental demand moneywise lines up accordingly.

This is something we are looking at doing as well.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:41 AM

24,413 posts, read 27,038,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsdriveins View Post
Hey there guys,

I've been living in Alaska for a few years now, and I'm getting pretty tired of renting, so I'm interested in getting either a condo or house in the Anchorage area or in the valley. I'm looking for something I would live in for a year or two, but probably rent out after that. I'm trying to weigh the perks of Anchorage and the valley area, and also either a condo or house. I'm thinking a place in Anchorage would be easier to rent out, but definitely more expensive. Thanks in advance!
Anchorage has a much better rental market and would be the better real estate investment because land is limited. However, prices will reflect that, so it depends. I would go with Anchorage because it would be more stable than the Valley.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,428,528 times
I make over $500 pure profit every month on my rentals in Anchorage. That seems like a winner to me.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:34 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,536,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
I make over $500 pure profit every month on my rentals in Anchorage. That seems like a winner to me.
Probably more once you take the depreciation expense into account on your taxes...

Right now I am leaning towards doing the quad/tri/duplex thing myself. Although with my luck the minute I close the rental and housing market will crash...

Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,428,528 times
A quad or tri would be a fantastic purchase! I don't think the housing market would "crash" so badly you wouldn't make out fine in the long run. Just buy conservatively. People will always, always need places to rent.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:03 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,648,587 times
Buying a house and the taxes would be cheaper in the Valley vs Anchorage, but you would be able to rent it out for a lot more in Anchorage and probably a bit easier to. However, you could see a higher turnover rate in Anchorage as you'd probably get a lot of military renters. But again, you'd probably get a new renter rather quickly anyway.

If that bridge ever gets put in, right now is the time to invest in the KGB area - there are a large number of new houses (especially duplexes) being built or already built in that area, and there seems to even now be a demand for them.

My personal vote would be for Anchorage, but either way you have a market for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: