Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 AM

459 posts, read 608,740 times

Advertisements

Been getting to -40 at night in McG for last 3 days and below 0 for a week. Should start slowly warming up by thurs and temps above 0 a week from now. Wood for heat mostly, with the Toyo coming on at night and when I go to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I am doing great Riceme! The Woodstove is keeping it toasty in here, although I set my alarm for about 2:30 am and add more logs. Got another cord of wood delivered a few days before the cold snap. Was going to just cook on the woodstove like I usually do, but the propane stove lit right up today. It's been hovering around -35 up here. I am at about 1100 feet. It dropped down to -45 in a valley on the way to work though. I can stay outside for quite a while chopping wood and the like (it splits super easy at -35) and be suprisingly comfortable. The only thing that bothers me is my face mask gets wet from the condensation and gets my lip a little cold. I got one with little perforated holes, is there anyway around this?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:24 AM

421 posts, read 410,630 times
Shiver me timbers just thinking about it. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:39 AM

3,882 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I am doing great Riceme! The Woodstove is keeping it toasty in here, although I set my alarm for about 2:30 am and add more logs. Got another cord of wood delivered a few days before the cold snap. Was going to just cook on the woodstove like I usually do, but the propane stove lit right up today. It's been hovering around -35 up here. I am at about 1100 feet. It dropped down to -45 in a valley on the way to work though. I can stay outside for quite a while chopping wood and the like (it splits super easy at -35) and be suprisingly comfortable. The only thing that bothers me is my face mask gets wet from the condensation and gets my lip a little cold. I got one with little perforated holes, is there anyway around this?
What does that even feel like? I can't even imagine!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:42 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Actually it looks like it *might* warm up on Friday. One weather app says -32*F on Friday and the other says -21*F... the one that says -32*F is usually more accurate, but you know the weather... the forecast changes. We'll see.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 AM

Oh I didn't know you were up that high, but I guess you would have to be, judging on where you said you live... it would have to get pretty cold for your propane to gel up, or you would have to get really low. In my experience it gels up around -45*F.

Yeah, I don't wear anything on my face when I split wood or work out in the cold because of the issue you're describing. I wear a wool beanie, a wool band over my ears (kind of like a headband for my hair, but over my ears), and a silk scarf around my neck.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:30 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,397,625 times
Hey ppl
I can not resist had to write something, I tried to do the calculation -40f coincide to -40 ° C, is it possible withstand those temperatures? it has to be really exciting as traveling in another dimension, may I ask what causes and effects emerge in similar situations?

Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 AM

459 posts, read 608,740 times
For me, I have insulated combat boots that are comfortable
that I can walk easily with and warm gloves or mittens if need
be. I then wear lightweight snow pants that I can move in easily
At 30 below as long as I am moving I am cool but not cold. Also, I only
travel no more than a mile from someplace where I can get inside .

Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 AM

It's supposed to be -56 later this morning. :/

Old 01-27-2015, 11:00 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Sorry to hijack this anchorage thread but the general forum is a little slow lately .
I was wondering at what point does it become unsafe to travel? I carry full winter gear, a winter survival kit and all the basics and lots of blankets in my car. I take it nice and easy at these low temps. I "have" to run into town today for a check. Normally I would put it off, but I have a weakness for money. Is it safe to be driving around? I drove yesterday at -40 and everything was fine. At what point should I stay off the road unless it's a life or death emergency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage