Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,026 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a place to move. I'm a the age (23) where people move out on their own. Aside from me leaving home my parents are leaving the state also. They plan on going to PA or NH. I've looked into the North East since It's close, but AK feels like it would be a place I'd like. From what I've read lurking here.

I'm done with the rude people around here, the huge population. The high prices. The politics..ext. From everything I've read the cost of living is high, but living in NY I've only known high price on everything. The lowest I ever saw rent was 10k a month for a 2 bedroom without utilities. I'm out of school now and majored in Graphic Design. I've also done some freelance Photography work. I also have interest in gunsmithing too.

I have little idea if any of these things are needed in AK and what they might pay. If I had to guess 30-40k at best? I've read it gets really cold too? Around this time of year (Jan) it's -40? From what I see here it feels it might be where I belong. I tend to keep to myself and act polite. The only thing I might not like is how cold it really is. The coldest I've been in was -10f with wind. I'm looking for the Anchorage area. Be it the friendly parts of the city or the areas near.

I guess I just want to know how hard of a move it would be given how far away I am and my current job and pretty fresh from school status. If any of the jobs I listed are hard to find or easy to get. I enjoy the cold. Want to learn out to ski and would not mind going hunting. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:13 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,639,087 times
Since now is when some of the summer hiring begins, maybe consider a seasonal job for now. That'll get you to Alaska and give you a few months to experience life here. CoolWorks is a good resource:
Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com

Old 01-28-2015, 01:17 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,639,087 times
The Grandview Cafe & RV Park is in an amazing setting. And it's just a couple of hours from Anchorage, and an hour from Palmer/Wasilla.
Grand View Cafe & RV Park | CoolWorks.com

Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
The Grandview Cafe & RV Park is in an amazing setting. And it's just a couple of hours from Anchorage, and an hour from Palmer/Wasilla.
Grand View Cafe & RV Park | CoolWorks.com
Thanks for some info. I'll need to look into this more. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,329,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Since now is when some of the summer hiring begins, maybe consider a seasonal job for now. That'll get you to Alaska and give you a few months to experience life here. CoolWorks is a good resource:
Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com
This is good advice. You may have trouble getting a job with your graphic design degree up here. You may have some luck, but will most likely have better luck if you created your own job, like starting your own business, using your graphic design and photography skills. Maybe designing websites for people you can do alright for yourself.... Of course that takes time and money, so looking into a seasonal job is good advice to start off with.

Also if you want the outdoors similar to Alaska, but still want to be close to your parents and family, you may look into Maine.... Lots of woods and remote places from what I hear.

Also, Anchorage is relatively not that cold for its latitude. The -40 temperatures you hear about are usually in the interior. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM

@6.7traveler if I stay in the North East I'll probably go to PA with the rest of them or NH, VT. I've been to 2/3 states a few times and Its lovely. As far as photo goes. I'd try and join a company that does wedding/school photos. If I could do that at all. Or start up something myself, If I could that is. Not an easy task. Maybe I should not jump the gun so fast. Wait a few years before I do. I do have loans I need to play off. Would be nice to go though. So on a normal day it's what? -20? 0? I was told it's not the same cold I might be used to in the NE. Also would you know anything about the hunting their? Can you hunt deer? If you don't know thank you anyway for the pointers.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:30 PM

2,680 posts, read 2,646,489 times
You may want to consider Maine as well. It has many of the things you're looking for, and you can easily go visit a few times throughout the year to see what it's like all seasons.

Best of luck to you, I hope it works out well

Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,551,823 times
DasPizza - Good luck with your endeavors. AFAIK, Anchorage has never gotten to -40F - at least according to the wunderground archives. Fairbanks is another story. We moved here in June of 2014. So far this has been a mild winter, but we have experienced some -10F weather for a couple of days in a row and then the temps pop back up to the +20Fs in the day.

For the past couple of years I have been following Anchorage temps and they seem to be milder than most of the Northern Mid-west US - if that helps any.

It's expensive to move here, expensive to live here. BUT if you get a skill that is in demand here, the pay can be great too.

IMHO, At 23 I would say you are correct in that it is time to move out on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage