Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,403 times

Advertisements

Hi there

I was wondering, whereabouts in Anchorage can I find high elevated estates (relative to downtown Anchorage)? So far I've only found Hillside East and Mid-Hillside. I'm sure there are more, but I don't know how to search for them.

I've had anchorage in mind for a while now. I've lived in London for over 20 years, and now I want out, I only found out about 2 years ago where I truly was and who I was surrounded by. Commuting on the Londons public transportation to get to class felt like taking a trip into Cthulhu's stomach. That's how bad it is. People here ALWAYS complain about the cold, even those who pose as logicians, pragmatists, philosophers, New age wise guys, backpackers etc, they still haven't figured out scarves/buffs, thermals and basic winter gear. And when you tell them you're thinking of moving to Alaska they look at you with disdainful pity. To hell with them I say.

Ah, I like London in a lot of ways. What I don't like here is the amount of humans. There's an overwhelming supply of human beings here. To the point that I think that anything you get too many people in one place, you devalue those people.

If you're a guy and you have a million effing girlfriends waiting for you in a warehouse, you're not gonna care if one of them dies, you're just not.

If I never had much of an issue with the climate here then I don't think Anchorage will be that bad, relatively speaking. I look forward to visiting, see you around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,817 times
If you've got the money to buy a home on the Hillside, then you've got the money to come for a visit. Meet with a Realtor and have them show you your options.
There's also the Rabbit Creek and Potter Valley area. Or you can head north to Eagle River.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,335 times
"If you're a guy and you have a million effing girlfriends waiting for you in a warehouse, you're not gonna care if one of them dies, you're just not."

Congrats for the most nihilistic thing I've yet read on the Alaska forum. Can we be friends?

If you don't have a crap ton of money, you can always live in the wind-swamp called Bear Valley. It's the last part of Anchorage that actually feels like Alaska. Just get on google earth and wander around. Lots of steep, mountain roads behind Anchorage and Eagle River that you can speed skate down in winter when they get freezing rain.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:53 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,239 times
What button do you click on to take points away from people?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,224 times
How the OP feels about London, I felt about Anchorage! No shortage of human beings there either.

I find the honesty refreshing. Of course people who move to Anchorage want a fancy mountain view. No one actually wants to rent a depressing apartment in a sketchy development just off of Lake Otis. The HALO folks are trying to grimly hang on but their holdings are being squeezed out by the escalating, and understandable, demand for a decent place to live in Anchorage. And the state cooperates by upgrading roads to the Hillside "rural area" to highways so the fancy folks can get to work faster at the expense of all the losers in the bottomlands.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,403 times
Just noticed my typo, correction: To the point that I think that any time you get too many people in one place, you devalue those people.*

Thanks for that @AkStafford, I'm gonna take a trip around those areas when the time draws near. I had actually checked to see if they had a little psytrance or acid house thing going on there. Closest thing was Blue Loon, Koots, and The Sky Bar.

Is it true that on a nice sunny day people break their faces with such big **** eating grins? Is there a sort of this hive mentality there, like you are all brethren that have survived a harrowing ordeal. Never see that in London, but thats because there's 8 MILLION people here.

People who avidly want to peer from the quasi-naturalist survivalist pedestal say that if everything in the US heads south in a serious way, Alaskans would probably be better off than in most places. Since most Alaskans have the tools e.g wooden stoves, generators, kerosene lambs, manual machinery, firearms, fishing and camping gear, access to clean water etc. I agree to a certain extent, because if sh*t hits the fan down south in a way that doesn't involve zombies (or "The Strain"), then there is no chance that anybody will be better off than any other place, because no-one would be able to escape or even comprehend the fiction-like technologies that can be manoeuvred your way if it is their will.

@Heathen Thanks, I'll look into that area. Oh, what you saw was just a tip of the iceberg emerging from an ocean BROILING with neo-nihilistic tides and weird multi-eyed creatures, awful feelings that I had when I was a child and terrible events that happened to me that I can't even remember any more. Still wanna be friends?

@mizzle The population in anchorage is less than 300,000. Also, the projected population growth is nowhere near as ridiculous as your average metropolis. Demographics show that there is a significant number of Christians there in Anchorage. Would I be an outcast if people got the impression that I liked the idea of inverse Christianity, or the idea that the Judeo-christian God is actually Satan, and that the serpent was the good guy?

Maybe the responses may manifest itself in the replies to this. We'll see.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
Don't even know where to begin, since apparently your view on life is "polar" opposite to mine. Other than visit and see if you can find an area of Anchorage that fits you. I moved from a large metropolitan, hive mentality, minded city that to me sucked.

I'm not all that religious or anti-religous so I cannot help you out there. My mentality is more along the lines of the guy walking down the beach and sees thousands of star fish on the beach. He picks one up and throws it back in the ocean, only for someone to say to him , "there are so many it doesn't matter", and to that, he replies "To that one it did." You can't save them all, but you can make a difference to someone.

I moved here because it was cold. I wasn't looking for steel shattering -40F/C or lower temps either. I also wanted a city where the pace was slower. I think in general people want what they don't have and the grass is always greener somewhere else. Since I grew up in incessant heat and humidity I wanted the opposite. People I know who grew up in cold (especially extreme cold) tend to want heat. I enjoy NOT sweating, while a relative that spent 40 years in frigid temps said it felt good to finally sweat.

Now the question no one has answered yet, do you have American Citizenship? You might want to look at what it takes to move here...

Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,335 times
Sure, Lovecraft makes for great bedtime stories...

If you want to be a shifty-eyed, face painted, gun toting survivalist, you'll have to get further out than Anchorage.

People do get pretty loopy with excitement on the first bunch of warm, sunny days in May and June. Don't know about a hive mentality, but maybe something like that.

"Would I be an outcast?..." Yeah, but that's the point, right? Scenes and social groups of like-minded people are boring. Eternal strife! I've always been surprised that more "Apocalypse Culture" types don't end up here. I guess most of us just like to stay bitter and dissatisfied in the city. I'll warn you, coming here takes the edge off, for better and for worse.

Music wise, you're going to have a hard time regularly finding electronic music sub-genres here. That's a big city thing. Doesn't mean there aren't any people into that stuff, just not enough to hit critical mass and make a scene. Might be some house shows and whatnot, but not regularly. We're trying to get some black metal going up here, but we'll see how that goes... There's a fair bit of rowdy punk and standard Pan-Tallica metal. In any case, Chilkoots and the Blue Loon (in Fairbanks) are mostly where touring bands and bigger local acts play. Gonna have to look harder for the weird stuff. Taproot occasionally has something good - but very biased toward indie and folk. S-Lounge put on some weird shows a couple years ago, but haven't heard about anything in a while. ACW is the latest in a string of attempts at an all-ages venue. Saw Iron Lung (powerviolence) there a few months ago, which was awesome.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:33 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeQuitter View Post

@mizzle The population in anchorage is less than 300,000. Also, the projected population growth is nowhere near as ridiculous as your average metropolis. Demographics show that there is a significant number of Christians there in Anchorage. Would I be an outcast if people got the impression that I liked the idea of inverse Christianity, or the idea that the Judeo-christian God is actually Satan, and that the serpent was the good guy?
People don't understand that Anchorage, though big in land size, is small in the area in which people have to live. Anchorage itself is quite crowded, as people trying to find rentals can attest. Newcomers look at land mass vs population and think it's spacious, but that is misleading.

Yes, there is an INSANE number of churches in Anchorage. Lots of people blame the oil folks from Texas from bringing that vibe, along with the rock-n-roll christians and megachurches up here. I don't know where they came from, but it's to the detriment of the state, that's for sure.

I think what you describe as inverse christianity is well beyond the average person's ability to conceptualize, honestly.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:01 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
People don't understand that Anchorage, though big in land size, is small in the area in which people have to live. Anchorage itself is quite crowded, as people trying to find rentals can attest. Newcomers look at land mass vs population and think it's spacious, but that is misleading.
I can attest to that as a newcomer - although I found a lot of over priced rentals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Yes, there is an INSANE number of churches in Anchorage. Lots of people blame the oil folks from Texas from bringing that vibe, along with the rock-n-roll christians and megachurches up here. I don't know where they came from, but it's to the detriment of the state, that's for sure.

I think what you describe as inverse christianity is well beyond the average person's ability to conceptualize, honestly.
I guess I am lucky in one way, since I don't understand either. (Megachurches or inverse christianity)

Maybe because my religious upbringing consisted of watching Highway to Heaven during dinner time growing up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage