Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm planning to move to Anchorage with my boyfriend in late May. He has a good job lined up but I am sill searching. Most of the work I've found is seasonal, so I'm curious if jobs will be easy to come by for the winter months as well. I will have a degree in communication and environmental science - I'll be a recent graduate so I'll have minimal experience but have had three internships in environmental communication and sustainability and have worked in restaurants and bars for the last 6 years.

We are also searching for housing, preferably a one bedroom furnished apartment - but if not we will buy furniture when we arrive. Does anyone have suggestions for a good apartment complex? I've been doing my own research but I'd love to hear from you all who are already in the area. He will be working at the Anchorage Air Route Traffic Control Center located on Boniface Pkwy, so somewhere near there will be ideal.

Thank you for all your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,553,169 times
Personal opinion - when you get here I think you will be able to find a job like at a restaurant or bar -- but your degree tells me that you probably want to start working in that area instead. Not that I suggest doing this, but if you had to, I don't think I have ever NOT seen a help wanted sign in the Wal-Mart in Eagle River too. There are temp agencies that can help you as well. Yes, a lot of jobs are seasonal, but not all of them. Not quite sure what environmental communication is or what you want to do. This is a State with a lot of "environmental" stuff going on - moreso than the state we moved from. Expand on what you goal is, maybe one of us here can help you more?

I assume that you are looking at the the alaska jobs website? You can even set it up to send you emails out when jobs in your area get posted. Start here: Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development There is a quicklink to Alexsys on that site, which is another resource.

Housing is tricky, you are not saying where you are coming from, so you will either have sticker shock or not. All I can say is drive around a get a feel for the area before you commit. There are 4 of us when we moved here last summer, so what we were looking for and at is COMPLETELY different from your requirements, so I doubt I can be much help. The military does most of their moves in the summer, so there is turn over coming. I moved up here to live a more relaxed and rural type life, so the Boniface area is not for me.

Craigslist for furniture will be your friend when you get here. Bought many adequate pieces for cheap when we got here.

Best of luck to you and Welcome To Anchorage.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:37 PM

863 posts, read 2,085,600 times
You'll probably have to take a seasonal gig or two in your field before getting a permanent job (I work in Natural Resources). Just network like hell and something should open up if you're skilled and personable. And if it doesn't the first year, then 6 years of server experience is guaranteed to get you a good winter job.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:20 AM

134 posts, read 196,447 times
As far as housing goes, read reviews. Pacific Rim properties were decent, but NOT Weidner properties (they charge you for EVERYTHING upon move out like a ding on the floor or a nail hole in the wall, you even have to pull out the appliances to clean behind). $900 for a one bedroom unfurnished is cheap, and $1200 for a 2 bedroom seems about average. Craigslist is great for a lot of things, but scammers are everywhere. Make sure you see it before signing anything. There are areas of town with high violence, so might be good to check the muni's crime map. Read the ADN newspaper for information. Lots of unrest going on right now with government budget issues. The State is having problems keeping talent due to changing systems a few year back from defined benefits to defined contributions. And health benefits aren't as good as they used to be. Aetna is a big problem. Police is down about 80 officers.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times
Default Housing and Relocation

Hi,
I want to develop my new home in india so please give me suggesion about good structure and location.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 PM

80 posts, read 147,192 times
https://alexsys.labor.state.ak.us/

RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing

Real Property Management | Leave the hard work to us

Here are some resources, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: