Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 10:06 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,622,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
If you're young with no kids then just do it. You only live once.
Yeah, I'm actually going to agree with this. Give it a shot. Have some cash set aside to get out of here if it doesn't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 10:11 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,902,014 times
just remember that Alaska is a different world. The daylight hours are severe, both summer and winter. The income is high, but so are rents and housing. Some people thrive with this. Will you?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,174,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj100 View Post
I have no commute now, only a few miles.
Alaska is appealing because of the fairly low population, lots of outdoors, and I like the cold weather. Maybe not below zero weather but I don't know anyone that does.
Yes I am aware of the long nights/days. I guess I would just have to try it, I don't know how to know if it would bother me.
I don't think I can take the pay cut its too risky. If I find something that pays the same or more then I can.
I am also not sure how the IT market is. It seems poor. There probably aren't many jobs and once someone gets a good one they never leave.
It's a 15k a year pay cut. Not that bad with the tax breaks. Also, did you say they'd pay to move ya? That's a couple grand more than likely.

Anchorage doesn't get below zero very often.

Of course you know your living expenses better than we do.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:08 AM

509 posts, read 555,557 times
Keep in mind that gross pay and take home pay are not one and the same.
While I'm not familiar with either place you are looking at, About 10 years ago I moved cross country to a place with an alleged higher cost of living and took a big pay cut-20 grand.
Due to insurance, taxes, social security and a bunch of other fees, my monthly take home was only about $400 less. However the first year I got a huge tax break due to the move and pocketed 7 grand from the IRS.

Long story short, I suggest you look at places you want to buy/ rent in your new town and see if you can afford it. If you can afford a roof over your head, everything else will fall into place. Good luck

Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 AM

15 posts, read 25,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
It's a 15k a year pay cut. Not that bad with the tax breaks. Also, did you say they'd pay to move ya? That's a couple grand more than likely.

Anchorage doesn't get below zero very often.

Of course you know your living expenses better than we do.
They said they would pay to relocate.

Well they said they could probably do $70,000. I can live off of that here just fine. I'm not sure what they charge for insurance or anything that would affect take home. I don't know if those cost of living calculators take in to account the lack of taxes.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:08 AM

816 posts, read 996,577 times
I heard Alpharetta, GA is quite nice. Any particular reason why you want to leave?

Old 05-11-2015, 01:12 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,174,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj100 View Post
They said they would pay to relocate.

Well they said they could probably do $70,000. I can live off of that here just fine. I'm not sure what they charge for insurance or anything that would affect take home. I don't know if those cost of living calculators take in to account the lack of taxes.
Your cost of living is higher than the cost of living that I had in metro ATL (I was on the west side).
When we moved up here, our first year was 72k. Not only were we able to pay off debt, support two homes, and save money, we were also able to make two unexpected trips back to GA.

Anchorage is different than where I live now. I don't have to worry about going out to eat, or spending more money on gas and city expenses.

You know your finances, we don't. I just know that 70k a year for a single person is pretty good. Might not be able to save as much, but it is doable.

Alpharetta is pretty pricey IMO. Not much cheaper than Anchorage.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:38 AM

7 posts, read 8,064 times
Default different bubble

money is one piece of this picture.

you are the most important factor in this equation.

been here? like fish?

lived where it's light for a long time every day then dark every day for a long time.....?

spent months thousands of miles away from everyone you know/love/need etc? months?

if you want to make your life HERE, welcome. this is an incredibly lovely spot on the planet.
anchorage is an ethnic melting pot these days with any and every language/culture...and you will fit in beautifully if you choose to do so.
if the city isn't your cup of tea, commute from points north. it's doable and the road only closes sometimes.

it will take effort on your part. but after a few months, this will be home.

again, money is only money. YOU are the only you.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:15 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,632,693 times
If I were you I would:

1) ask them to match your current salary, and if that didn't work out
2) keep looking for a job that will pay at least what you're getting now, knowing this may take a while

Do you know of any reason why they're paying less? Government vs. private, a lower level position, etc.?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 AM

15 posts, read 25,888 times
I have not been there, it is just an opportunity that came up. I've never had a job offer to relocate or even from out of state before.

It would be a lower level position, which also makes me wary. Take a lower level position and then have to work my way up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage