Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 01:44 PM

14 posts, read 22,442 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a job in Anchorage and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get around before I get there. My current car is very old and is in need of repairs so its really not worth shipping or driving the thing up to Anchorage. Instead, I'm planning on relying on public transport at first until I save up enough money to try and buy a new clunker.

With that in mind, how's the public transport in Anchorage? Do the buses typically run on time according to their schedule? I may have a lead for a roommate in Eagle River, is there bus service that runs between there and Anchorage that would be good for commuting? I'm going to be at a 8 to 5 job in downtown Anchorage if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:31 PM

92 posts, read 94,589 times
Timetables

From Eagle River to downtown is route 102

Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 PM

I saw that route, but what I'm really hoping to know is if its reliable or not? The town I currently live in, the bus is notoriously unreliable to the point where sometimes it doesn't even come to its stops. Granted, I live in a much MUCH smaller town then Anchorage, but if I'm going to be using this to commute for any length of time I don't want to be coming in late to my brand new job due to the bus. So is it reliable? If I get on the 7am bus will I actually be able to get into work at 8am?

Old 05-23-2015, 09:35 AM

173 posts, read 380,485 times
Yes, the public transport is reliable in Anchorage. Good luck with your new job and welcome to Alaska.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
Yes, the public transport is reliable in Anchorage. Good luck with your new job and welcome to Alaska.
Thank you!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:27 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
If I were in your shoes I'd find some place to live very close to work. Not Eagle River. It only takes one accident on the Glenn Highway going into Anchorage and you could be very late to work as there is no alternate route. It happens quite often. If you live close to work you could always call a cab if the bus is running late. It's not as reliable as some people think, schedule wise.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the input stiffnecked. I'm probably going to end up wherever is cheapest and has room for me. I have however found out that several of my future co-workers live in Eagle River so hopefully I'll be able to carpool with them.

I am still looking for rooms closer to downtown though, but they're just so expensive. I knew Alaska was going to be expensive, but I have to admit that I'm still getting quite a bit of sticker shock looking at apartment prices. It doesn't help that I'm on a tight budget since I'll be repaying my student loans, but the job opportunity is in my field and just too good to pass up since the upward mobility is there as well. I just wish the rents in Anchorage were just a little bit less!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: