Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 07:38 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,267,544 times

Advertisements

So this became a concern of mine tonight (happened about 2am) because my slipper "slipped" on a stair and I went tumbling down the stairs tonight and sprained my right ankle...pretty badly. Heard a pop when it happened, even. Thankfully, I have good pain meds on hand so I took some and am doing okay, plus I can still move my foot and put some weight on it. However, it brought to mind for me the question about what the situation is here in Anchorage for a person that gets injured or has a serious medical problem at an inconvenient time.

My understanding is a follows regarding 24hr medical care:

Providence ER
Alaska Regional ER
Possibly the Native Health Center has an ER, but I'm not sure that could help me because I'm not Alaska Native

So for the Anchorage people that post on here regularly....

Is there any sort of 24 hr Urgent Care or something here in Anchorage?

There used to be one fairly close to our old place when we were living in the lower 48, but I don't know what the deal is up here so help! I did not want to have to wake my 7yo son up for a possible ER visit with Mama in the middle of the night...plus I'm pretty sure nothing is broken since I can bear some weight and still move my foot (it hurts to do it though).

It's just me and my son up here right now as my husband is in WA doing his training until Oct 15 or thereabouts. I have nobody to take me anywhere, either.

Thanks for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:37 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,053 times
I started to type "of course there is Urgent Care places in Anchorage!" and then realized you were asking about a 24 hour place. I did some Google searches and couldn't come up with any place that was 24 hours. So yeah, I guess the ER would've been your only choice in the middle of the night.
Alaska Regional tried opening a couple of urgent care clinics and the state said no. I guess the state regulates certain medical facilities types and only allows so many to operate. Which seems weird... There was an imagining place here in the Valley that wanted to open and wasn't allowed because it would duplicate an existing place. Or something like that...

Old 09-16-2015, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
Sorry to hear about your fall. And yes, your best option is an ER for 24 hour care.

To clarify what AKStafford said, Alaska Regional Hospital is appealing the State's decision to deny the proposal to build freestanding emergency departments in South Anchorage and Eagle River. We are hoping that the State sees the value in providing more access to healthcare out in the communities.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:15 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,267,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born In AK View Post
Sorry to hear about your fall. And yes, your best option is an ER for 24 hour care.

To clarify what AKStafford said, Alaska Regional Hospital is appealing the State's decision to deny the proposal to build freestanding emergency departments in South Anchorage and Eagle River. We are hoping that the State sees the value in providing more access to healthcare out in the communities.
Thanks I feel like such a klutz

It surprises me to hear the state voted down the proposal. I can't help wonder why.

Hopefully this will change soon, because it seems really odd to me that there are actually as many 24hour Vets in Anchorage as ERs, lol.

Free standing ERs would really be a great idea.

In the meantime, I'm avoiding the doc on this if at all possible. Hate going to docs for something that may be stupid lol

Old 09-16-2015, 11:35 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,640,053 times
Here's a couple of articles on the process:
Alaska's largest hospitals compete to build more emergency facilities | Alaska Dispatch News
Alask Regional Hospital planning stand-alone emergency rooms in South Anchorage and Eagle River | Alaska Dispatch News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: