Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,636,908 times

Advertisements

This explains the high home prices:

3. Alaska
> Median household income: $71,583
> Population: 736,732 (3rd lowest)
> Unemployment rate: 6.8% (11th highest)
> Poverty rate: 11.2% (6th lowest)

Few states had a higher proportion of high-income households than Alaska, where 6.4% earned $200,000 or more in 2014. A typical Alaskan household earned more than $71,500 last year, higher than in all but two other states. High incomes are also due to a trust fund that redistributes oil revenues to residents of the state. High median incomes likely drove up home values. The median home value of $254,500 last year was among the higher levels nationwide. High median incomes and a relatively low poverty rate of 11.2% demonstrate how Alaska has one of the most equitable income distributions in the country. While Alaska residents were among the nation's wealthiest as of last year, 17.2% of residents did not have health insurance, the second highest uninsured rate in the nation. Similarly, the state's unemployment rate of 6.8% last year, despite declining from the year before, remained among the highest nationwide.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...040318647.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,626,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
High incomes are also due to a trust fund that redistributes oil revenues to residents of the state.
I completely disagree with this part... The dividend is a nice bonus, but it's not life changing money...

Old 09-19-2015, 01:54 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,130,164 times
Also what good is the high income if the housing cost chew up any extra money. Its not like the housing, at least in anchorage, is nice. Unless your willing to fork over 400-600k you are not going to get a traditional nice home. For 250k you will get a big time fixer upper. Prices are comming down rapidly due to all the lay offs and govt down sizing and people not being willing to spend a crap ton of money on a cracker jack box house just because its new and decent.

A nice house in sand lake area that butts up against the park, at least a few years ago, was well over 400k. Yea they are "nice houses" but not 420k nice, not even close and you are typically on a .15 acre lot.

Right now the average income in anchorage is 77k and if your average nice home is 400k (ie non fixer upper with modern finishes, appliances, 2 car garage and high ceilings) then thats 5.2 times your annual salery plus 3.75% over 30 years which is another 450k so you are paying 850k for a slapped togehter home that does not have dated stuff in it.

I agree with AKStafford, the divident basicly goes back to the govt for my truck tags, professional licences, passport renewals, drivers licence renewal, etc, etc. On rare years where the dividend pushes 2k then I typically have 1k left after the govt fleece to either bank or do something nice with. In a way its nice, its like the govt giving me money to give back to them so they can create a few jobs to faciliate the exchange lol and every 4-8 years there is enough money there to get a few extra things at costco.

Watching the fall colors and the sun hit the mountians during all seasons is why I am here.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 AM

173 posts, read 381,257 times
In other words, you can't eat the scenery...

Old 09-20-2015, 06:49 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,428,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I completely disagree with this part... The dividend is a nice bonus, but it's not life changing money...
Well, to people who have had a bunch of kids, it is.

I find it really sad that people don't stash their kids' dividends away for them to use for school or to get a start on life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: