Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:43 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,123,807 times

Advertisements

I got mine from tires by web, they ship free to Washington and then carlile or another shipping company takes them the rest of the way for 100$. I am just saying that the local shops are less than helpful if you own a bigger truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Hmmm. I wonder if some one like Tire Rack could ship them to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:55 PM

149 posts, read 198,329 times
The only spin out my wife had was coming down the Eagle River to Anchorage on-ramp with our volvo on Michelin X all seasons. We did drive the AlCan from Fairbanks in December with those tires too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
... $400-$800 for some dedicated winter tires is cheaper than one trip in the ditch ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrbin View Post
... Any and all advice would be much appreciated ...
What car(s) & how far up the hill there are you, would help the decision too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
... $400-$800 for some dedicated winter tires is cheaper than one trip in the ditch ...
Check out your neighbors
good luck

Old 10-10-2015, 08:04 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,110,369 times
Decent write-up in Consumer Reports a couple years ago:

Ultra-high-performance tires show glaring differences on ice

Old 10-10-2015, 08:25 PM

I have a subscription to Consumer Reports. The top winter/snow truck tire ratings are as follows:

Comparing five different tires:

Old 10-10-2015, 09:32 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Interesting thread. Always a good debate. FWIW, watching my neighbors, some run studs, some winter tires, some the same all seasons. Besides your winter driving skills, it seems to depend on what you drive, where you need to go/live, and what you like. A couple had RWD Vans with all seasons and unlike me in RWD they didn't have issues. I did.

I did 'OK' running M+S rated tires last winter on my truck. Not sure I will do that this winter - but still haven't changed out yet either.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:13 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Interesting thread. Always a good debate. FWIW, watching my neighbors, some run studs, some winter tires, some the same all seasons. Besides your winter driving skills, it seems to depend on what you drive, where you need to go/live, and what you like. A couple had RWD Vans with all seasons and unlike me in RWD they didn't have issues. I did.

I did 'OK' running M+S rated tires last winter on my truck. Not sure I will do that this winter - but still haven't changed out yet either.
Also, just because some tires perform better than others in the lower-48, it does not mean that they perform as well in Alaska. Even in Anchorage the road conditions are completely different than in Fairbanks.

TireRack has some excellent information on tire performance. The data is compiled from drivers's real driving contitions throughout the US (some sort of customer review).
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/review...surveyComments

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

Old 10-10-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Also, just because some tires perform better than others in the lower-48, it does not mean that they perform as well in Alaska. Even in Anchorage the road conditions are completely different than in Fairbanks.
Yep, and the last two warm, wet, heavy snows we got were 100% uncharacteristic of the cold, dry, light snow we normally get, which cause completely different road conditions.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:01 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,123,807 times
Too bad they dont have the nokian hakkaplida 8's studded on there, they are amazing, but its like you have to know a guy who knows a guy in order to get them for a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I have a subscription to Consumer Reports. The top winter/snow truck tire ratings are as follows:

Comparing five different tires:

Old 10-11-2015, 04:34 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,263,018 times
We got ours at the end of Sept. All I know is they're Toyo but not studded or all season. Have no idea how they rate relative to the other brands. My stepson worked for the Subaru dealership in WA and told us Toyos are decent so my husband picked those.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:00 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,312,174 times
^ If your tires are the toyo observe Gsi-5, they are a great tire. I got them installed as well and some people say they are better than blizzaks. They have a whole lot of siping and the soft rubber compound.

Hey Dakster, you're back. I thought you had dissappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage