Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 16,853 times

Advertisements

With the snow season upon us and the first being as early as SEPTEMBER, we are rookies here in Eagle River, AK and feeling relatively uninformed as to what would be the best tire for a safe commute. Our budget is a little tight, but feeling safe on the road is priceless. We had heard of Blizzak tires being a good option, but didn't know if there was an all-season tire that would be comparable and not require changing over after the winter weather is gone.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!!! THANK YOU, in advance, for your input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 01:23 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,428 times
We had Blizzaks on our VW and they performed brilliantly. I don't know of any other tire that wouldn't require changing. We're getting Blizzaks for our Subaru X-trek (the all-weather tires already on it won't cut it on the ice), and studded tires for our Toyota truck. I'm very very serious about tire performance since I was badly injured after sliding off Old Seward Hwy last winter, into a tree. Long story and the tires on the truck shouldn't have been on it but - it means hubs has done a TON of research and going for the options mentioned above. Be careful out there!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:42 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
This is only my second winter in Alaska but I wouldn't consider using anything besides snow tires. Quite a few people run all season tires, but I personally never would. $400-$800 for some dedicated winter tires is cheaper than one trip in the ditch. I have ran studs last year and a blizzak style toyo tire so far this year. Both have worked good so far.

If budget is a huge concern you can sometimes find your size of used winter tires on craigslist. Obviously, do your due diligence if going that route but a lot of times people are leaving state or switch vehicles, etc and there can be some decent ones...

Old 10-04-2015, 05:19 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
This tire is one of the least expensive and one of the best for snow and ice.

Firestone Winterforce - Free Delivery Available | TireBuyer.com

Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
So I'll go the other way on this... been in the Valley almost 20 years. Never ran snow tires or studs. We buy all-season. I've got a 4 wheel drive truck, so that helps. The wife drives a front wheel drive 2000 Chevy Cavalier. We have no problem getting around. Never been stuck, never been in an accident due to weather. We are careful and strategic in how we drive. For example: we normally make a left turn off of our road onto Knik-Goosebay Road in the mornings. It's a very busy road. So if there's snow or ice, we instead make a much easier right turn and go down the road to the gas station at Fairview Loop. We turn around there and come out onto KGB at the stop light. Takes an extra couple of minutes... No big deal.
But, I wouldn't condemn anyone for getting studs or snow tires. What does bug me is when its mid-May and people are running studs on dry pavement.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrbin View Post
With the snow season upon us and the first being as early as SEPTEMBER, we are rookies here in Eagle River, AK and feeling relatively uninformed as to what would be the best tire for a safe commute. Our budget is a little tight, but feeling safe on the road is priceless. We had heard of Blizzak tires being a good option, but didn't know if there was an all-season tire that would be comparable and not require changing over after the winter weather is gone.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!!! THANK YOU, in advance, for your input!!!
Just don't drive on dry highway with Blizzacks their handling sucks on the dry.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:09 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
I use an all weather tire made by Nokian. While not as good as a true winter tire such as Blizzacks they are better than an all season tire. They have the mountain snowflake symbol which qualifies them as a winter tire. I run them year round. Does not hurt that I drive a Jeep with full time four wheel drive.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:32 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
I special ordered a set of nokian hakkaplida 8's for an 18" rim. Last winter they were impossible to find locally. they are studded but unfortunately I think the studs are aluminum so I put them on separate rims so I can put them on only once there is permenant ice on the roads and not a day sooner. I really wish they made them with steel.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
My .02 is that with a heavy vehicle the Nokians are superior. I run the Nokian SUV5 studded and the main benefit was on ice. It was worth the high price imho but if I did not have the do ray me I would have chosen the blizzak.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:01 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Were you able to find them locally or did you have to order them on your own (I don't mean special order through a local shop but literally order them from some place out of state and have a trucking company ship them up). I have found that a lot of shops up here are less than helpful, you either buy what they have in stock or too bad.

I do almost exclusively mail order and diy because otherwise it wont get done in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
My .02 is that with a heavy vehicle the Nokians are superior. I run the Nokian SUV5 studded and the main benefit was on ice. It was worth the high price imho but if I did not have the do ray me I would have chosen the blizzak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage