Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
Its a 32 minute drive from the Girdwood Tesoro area to Huffman. lets say you live further into Girdwood and work further into Anchorage, that would probably be 45 minutes away. If your only working a 40 hour week its very doable and worth it I think. It is expensive though.
Have you ever driven that road in winter? I wouldn't wish that commute on my worst enemy.

People often look at maps of Alaska and think that Girdwood would be an easy commute, but maps don't tell the whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 04:35 PM

191 posts, read 287,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Have you ever driven that road in winter? I wouldn't wish that commute on my worst enemy.

People often look at maps of Alaska and think that Girdwood would be an easy commute, but maps don't tell the whole story.
Yes I have. As long as you have 4WD or AWD with studded snow tires Its doable. I know someone that does it in a FWD car. Most people I know prefer to drive it in the winter because theres much less traffic and tourist drivers than summertime.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
I think it's doable for ski trips and whatever, but I've never known anyone who'd recommend that commute on a daily basis. I was stuck in front of an avalanche last time I was out that way. Idk, Girdwood is beautiful, but someone would have to want to live out there awfully bad to do that commute twice a day. Forgot about the RV traffic in summer. Another reason not to drive it.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 9,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Congrats... We moved up from Florida a couple of years ago and like it. We do not, however, like long mandatory drives. Like going to work. Can you do it yes... But we didn't move up here to have a long commute to/from work or school.

Glad HaoleJohn and his family is OK. It is pretty darn slick out there.

From someone who moved up from Florida with very limited winter driving experience I have learned the following. Snow tires are mandatory. Studs or studless seem to be personal preference. I like studs as I like how they grab in the ice and lately all that I seem to have issues with is ice at the just below freezing point. 4WD/AWD helps you get going, doesn't help you stop. Does help if you start to drift... The main key is SPEED. GO slow, especially around corners...

I've done the drive at least 6 times and a couple in the winter... It's very doable. In fact, I did it last winter in a Uhaul truck, which is ONLY RWD and the tires were not severe snow rated... Sounds like you are pressed for time, so flying and either renting or buying when you get here isn't a bad idea.

Thanks. I have actually been reading your posts that date back several years. Looks like you were once in the same boat im in. It took a few years before your dream became a reality. Hope my family loves it as much as you do. Since your from Florida, hoipe your not a Gator fan. Roll Tide! May the best team win Saturday. Its good to see Jim McElwain succeed in such a short time.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:04 PM

80 posts, read 146,663 times
USAA does have some fantastic products, but they are very hit and miss with their home mortgages. They don't properly qualify their borrowers, have terrible communication, don't close on time or don't close at all. This is the biggest investment of your life and I HIGHLY recommend inquiring with a local lender - Residential Mortgage, HomeState or AKUSA to name a few and look at their reviews compared to USAA. USAA has preferred realtors that they have on referral status, so they are getting 25% of the realtors' commission. I've had several awful experiences with USAA and my blood boils for how they handled things with my clients. You don't want to be one of the times they miss the mark. If you decide to stay with them, I sincerely hope there aren't any major issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage