Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is best to live for me in AK?
Anchorage! 5 41.67%
Elsewhere here. 3 25.00%
Don't go to Alaska... 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,350 times

Advertisements

I'm strongly considering moving to Anchorage for college after I get out of the military. When I'm out of the Navy, I'll be 23. I hate the TX heat and humidity, I light up inside once I have to put on 2 jackets to go check the mail. Where I'm from in TX, is a tiny town of 200 people, in the middle of the national forest. Needless to say, I LOVE nature and wildlife, I'm big on outdoor activities. So, to get on with my question, what are some fun things to do in Anchorage (or around it)? Is this a good place for a 23 yr woman who loves the outdoors but also likes the conveniences of markets/stores close by? Any advice on moving from TX to Alaska? haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 01:22 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,008,081 times
Lots to do around the Anchorage area. If you are into hiking there are many places to hike ranging from easy afternoon hikes to challenging multiple day hikes. Several places to go kayaking and camping. One of the best salmon fishing rivers in the world is just a couple hours away by car. If you really feel the need to climb a mountain you have come to the right place.

UAA is a decent university.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,251,614 times
If you're going to college, I'd head on up to Fairbanks. Probably a good idea to check both cities out before you come.

Besides UAA and UAF, the only other real option for living and going to college is UAS (U of Alaska Southeast): UAS | University of Alaska Southeast

List of colleges and universities in Alaska - Wikiwand

Old 12-22-2015, 01:52 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,527,391 times
I'd start in or around Anchorage. And then explore and decide which area is right for you. Fairbanks wouldn't be a bad place to start either, but I would start in Anchorage and then drive up to Fairbanks in the summer. IMHO, what is going to dictate where you end up is going to be a job. Unless I missed the part about you being wealthy enough to not have to work. You may end up on the North Slope, depending on what kind of work you want to do.

The main difference why we choose Anchorage over Fairbanks (FOR US) was that the temperature extremes are much greater in Fairbanks. It gets a lot colder in the winter and a lot hotter in the summer than Anchorage. Fun fact, it is the city with the greatest 24 hour temp. swing in the entire United States. IIRC, the temp dropped around 100F degrees within a 24 hour period. Second, even though housing seemed less expensive and dry cabins are more of an option if that is your style in Fairbanks than Anchorage, everything else was more expensive. When I check airplane ticket costs, there also seem to be a lot more in and out of Fairbanks than Anchorage. Not a huge deal for a party of 1 or for families that don't need to travel, but for our party of 4 it adds up quick. And we still have things we need or like to do in the L48. I do like Fairbanks and some of the smaller communities around it. And we did spend a couple of weeks total in Fairbanks and surrounding areas - which is why I say it wouldn't be a bad place to start either.

While living rural and remote has some romantic appeal to it - you may realize that the difficulties and expense of doing so long term are not exactly what you thought it would be. But only YOU can make that decision. It is a tougher decision to make if you have any medical issues at all. Health care is a huge issue in Alaska. And living rural and remote in the L48 is just not the same as living rural and remote up here.

Having said all that, we do not regret making the move to Alaska...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage