Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 08:33 PM

4 posts, read 3,460 times

Advertisements

I am looking for recommendations on a good high school for my twin 15 yr old children. We will be moving next summer, in which they will be sophomores. We will be renting a home and can basically live anywhere in Anchorage. Our main concern is the best high school for my kids. We are moving from FL. And yes, I've visited numerous times, have family in Anchorage and my husband graduated from Barlett in 1986 so we know all about living in Anchorage. Currently my son is in an IB program and my daughter would do best where there are honors and/or AP classes available. Thank you! I realize I can check out websites to see how the schools perform but I'm looking for real opinions. Also, what is the culture of teens drinking alcohol and smoking weed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 09:43 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,175,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyzmomm View Post
I am looking for recommendations on a good high school for my twin 15 yr old children. We will be moving next summer, in which they will be sophomores. We will be renting a home and can basically live anywhere in Anchorage. Our main concern is the best high school for my kids. We are moving from FL. And yes, I've visited numerous times, have family in Anchorage and my husband graduated from Barlett in 1986 so we know all about living in Anchorage. Currently my son is in an IB program and my daughter would do best where there are honors and/or AP classes available. Thank you! I realize I can check out websites to see how the schools perform but I'm looking for real opinions. Also, what is the culture of teens drinking alcohol and smoking weed?
First of all teens are teens. So weed and alcohol is the same issue everywhere IMO.
As far as what school is the best? That's subjective and word on street is service or the school in eagle river.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:37 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,191,634 times
South is suppose to be good too.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:29 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times
South Anchorage High School and Eagle River High School are the best public high schools in the Anchorage Area.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:59 AM

4 posts, read 3,460 times
Thanks to all the replied!

Old 10-28-2016, 01:25 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,892,344 times
When my kids went to highschool, there were kids into much harder drugs than weed or booze.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:05 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,427,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyzmomm View Post
East is good, and has a school-within-a-school option that is great for kids who are a little different, and by that I mean, just thrive in an environment that isn't as traditional as "regular" high school.

Once I decided to skip school and go over to East for the day because my boyfriend went there. I went to the school-within-a-school and the teachers were so great. They let me participate as if I was supposed to be there, and the most anyone said to me was "hey, at least you're in school."

Steller is also really good, but to get in there it's a lottery system.

Aside from those two alternative schools, I think most of the schools are about the same in Anchorage. If it were me I would choose anything but Service and South, because I'd want my kids exposed to some diversity.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:00 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,191,634 times
If you want diversity, send them to Bartlet.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:31 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,622,787 times
Does this help: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/educ...trove-of-data/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: