Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,790 times

Advertisements

Is there an affordable safe neighborhood for a young woman to rent an apartment alone in Anchorage? According to statistics I've seen it seems the majority of the City is pretty sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:36 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
Anchorage is not usually considered "affordable". It mostly is finding a good landlord. Do you or the person coming have a job? Alaska is in the middle of a big downturn in the economy due to mostly the drop in oil. Yes, there are sketchy areas.

My brother lives in Anchorage and was a mailman there for years. Give me some more details and I can try and put you in touch.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 3,725 times
"Is there an affordable safe neighborhood for a young woman to rent an apartment alone in Anchorage?"
- What is affordable? What size apartment do you want?
- As in most cities, Anchorage has a wide array of apartments available in a wide variety of neighbourhoods.

"According to statistics I've seen it seems the majority of the City is pretty sketchy"
- I disagree. I live here and as in any other US city, there are sketchy places, there area great places, and there's place sin the middle.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Anchorage is not usually considered "affordable". It mostly is finding a good landlord. Do you or the person coming have a job?
Well, just so you know: I do consider myself a good one! Also, a young/ish woman, myself.
Really like this area, too! Never had an issue here,ттт and never know what everybody is complaining about!

What kind of place are you looking for? (apt. or house, studio or 1-2 bedroom, etc.)
Are you just considering to move, or recently moved and looking for a more permanent place to stay?

Old 02-02-2017, 09:03 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Most rentals are out of whack with the median income in anchorage becasue the vacancy rates are so low so unless you make 6 figures or near 6 figures your going to be spending a significant percentage of your income on rent.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:37 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
There is safe and there is semi-affordable. But they are in two different locations. The least expensive apartments will be found in areas that are unsafe. You wouldn't want to live there. Safer places will be pretty expensive.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There is safe and there is semi-affordable. But they are in two different locations. The least expensive apartments will be found in areas that are unsafe. You wouldn't want to live there. Safer places will be pretty expensive.
Yep but even in less safe areas like Muldoon the odds of being shot or accosted are pretty low. The odds of me becoming insolvent paying over inflated rent in south anchorgae is 100%.

If someone makes the median income of 77k they will need to live in a rougher area if they ever hope to build wealth because the "safe" areas will bleed them dry to enrich the life of the land lord.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:44 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep but even in less safe areas like Muldoon the odds of being shot or accosted are pretty low. The odds of me becoming insolvent paying over inflated rent in south anchorgae is 100%.

If someone makes the median income of 77k they will need to live in a rougher area if they ever hope to build wealth because the "safe" areas will bleed them dry to enrich the life of the land lord.

Muldoon is the new Mountain View.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:42 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Muldoon is the new Mountain View.
Muldoon is the old Mountain View. I lived in Anchorage for 40 years, left there 6 months ago. During the time I lived there the east side of town has become more developed and more desirable, and Mountain View has done the reverse. The Creekside development and the Tikatnu Commons are glaring examples of this improvement, as well as other residential developments in the area.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Muldoon is the old Mountain View. I lived in Anchorage for 40 years, left there 6 months ago. During the time I lived there the east side of town has become more developed and more desirable, and Mountain View has done the reverse. The Creekside development and the Tikatnu Commons are glaring examples of this improvement, as well as other residential developments in the area.
Yep and not enriching legacy land holders lives with grossly inflated rent prices. There are a lot of people that bought in CHEAP and are making a killing off anchorage rentals in the "safe" areas. I would rather deal with gang bangers than scum lords.

You MIGHT get robbed of $50 once in a decade vs getting fleeced for many thousands extra every year (possibly even five figures extra) in a "nice" area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: