Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,691 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
My husband and I have purchased a 6 acre tract off of deadmans lake. Does anyone have any useful information for us? We're building a 350 foot cabin likely this summer. Anything you could tell me would be appreciated about the hunting, fishing and neighboring Manley Springs. Bear activity in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 06:14 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
You might be interested in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...dman-lake.html

Old 03-19-2017, 12:06 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Did you walk the property before purchasing?

Old 03-19-2017, 03:02 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Did you walk the property before purchasing?
For some reason I doubt it.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:18 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
If not, I have a feeling they will be unpleasantly surprised if they didn't look at it first....

I've been to Manley before. I found $5.50 fuel and unfriendly people. I actually was cussed out twice in my first hour there for driving down the wrong road (tofty) while looking at state land for sale ironically. I usually get along well with everyone, and everyone in alaska is usually pretty friendly so this was a big surprise/shock to me. I just apologized and said I didn't know which I didn't. I'm sure there are very friendly and nice people in Manley, but the 5 or 6 people I ran into definitely were not. Especially the employee at the "gas station" there. Just my personal experience. I did not buy the land, partly because of the welcoming I got and found a much friendlier town instead.

I browse some of the cheap state land available on the DNR website from time to time. But I always look at it before I buy. There's a decent parcel fairly close by me available in the upcoming auction I may bid on. It's a several mile hike in off the highway I could use as a "getaway" cabin. I lost out on a really nice parcel with river frontage by my house last auction.

The interior remote subdivisions on the lakes seem tempting but very hard to access. You need a float plane. Or you're taking a very long snow machine ride in.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
^I have heard of folks being yelled at for driving down the wrong road in the wrong season in Manley, so, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. There is currently a huge uproar in Two Rivers because some asshat tore up the trails with a skidsteer, which people use for hauling wood, running dogs, etc.

I am looking at property p0rn right now... fancy property with epic views, that I can't afford. Hey, why not?

Old 03-19-2017, 02:37 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
Yes evidently, you're not supposed to drive down tofty road after mile 3 in the winter, because it's used for snow machines and dogs. I thought it was a public state tax payed for road, there was no signs. They could have explained nicely before cussing me out though. I thought that was a bit extreme. Oh well so much for the "road to tanana".

Property p0rn is my favorite. I look at it everyday. Want a semi remote but still reasonably accessible by alaska standards piece. Right now my weakness is land off the Taylor highway by chicken all the way up to eagle. The wife thinks it's not smart to buy land you can only drive to 6 months a year. I told her that's the best part. Always trying to ruin my party .

Old 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Yes evidently, you're not supposed to drive down tofty road after mile 3 in the winter, because it's used for snow machines and dogs. I thought it was a public state tax payed for road, there was no signs. They could have explained nicely before cussing me out though. I thought that was a bit extreme. Oh well so much for the "road to tanana".

Property p0rn is my favorite. I look at it everyday. Want a semi remote but still reasonably accessible by alaska standards piece. Right now my weakness is land off the Taylor highway by chicken all the way up to eagle. The wife thinks it's not smart to buy land you can only drive to 6 months a year. I told her that's the best part. Always trying to ruin my party .
I cannot recall the name of the road my friend was on when he got yelled at, but it sounds like the same road. Exact same circumstances, for sure.

You must be referring to land that's pretty close to Chicken, cos a lot of that drive from Tok is pretty... err, barren. I recall very badly needing to pee, and there not being a tree or shrub for miles and miles.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,691 times
Thanks for your insight. Of course we bought sight unseen and understand the harsh reality that we're in for tough travels. I'm not happy about the unpleasantness of Manley's residents. We're friendly people too but if they don't appreciate our extra money we're willing to spend then I guess we'll just not expect much friendliness.

I'm more concerned with the safety and hostile bear activity and the deadmans lake fishing and the rivers. We know you get what you pay for so we don't have high expectations.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
The only type of bear that's a human predator is the polar bear. You won't run into those in that area.

Bear safety strategies are pretty simple, but here's one you won't read about in the usual places: wear unscented grooming products. Bears only know scent types. Your fruity or flowery hand lotion or deodorant just smells sweet to a bear and might easily be mistaken for a patch of ripe berries.

Bring a big gun or don't bring a big gun, but understand that your best weapon against unwanted bear encounters is between your ears. The animals usually only attack when startled, so be aware -- don't move swiftly through brush or any other area with low visibility (that's interpreted as charging behavior) and remember that the most dangerous place in the world is between a mother bear and her cub (s).

Bears may be attracted by food trash/waste; don't have any.

I know nothing about the fishing, hunting, or the community in the area, but it sounds like you should watch how you drive on Tofty Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage