Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 3,466 times

Advertisements

Thinking of renting a home on Lost Horizon Drive, which is west of Golden View Dr, off of Sandpiper. Had bad does the road get in the winter? I'm concerned it is tough driving and winding roads. Would they be regularly maintained? Anyone live near this area? I'm moving from FL, so I'll be a novice winter driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 10:25 AM

2,162 posts, read 1,744,978 times
I don't have first hand knowledge of what its like day to day in the winter up there, but it is definitely hilly. That is in a road service area where property owners pay extra on taxes and that money is applied to road maintenance. That is typically contracted out and not performed by the city. Some contractors are better than others. Our road, which is dead flat, is maintained by the city and it can be anywhere from 1 day to over a week before we get plowed out after a snowfall.

We have friends who live further up the hill off Golden View and it can be pretty icy at times. I'd consider 4wd and studded snow tires a must if you live up there and expect that there might be a couple of days a winter where it's better to stay home for a day or two.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:04 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,197,123 times
If you were to come for the first time in January, it would scare the s... out of you! If you come in the summer and get a 4x4 with studded tires for the winter and take it SLOW or stay home the first snow, you might not think it is to bad. There are usually more 4x4 vehicles in the ditch than regular 2x4 cars, because of speed and thinking a 4x4 wont get stuck.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 3,466 times
Thank you for your responses, it's pretty much what I thought. And yes, I'll be getting a 4x4 and taking it slow! Good advice, I will be asking which company handles the road maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage