Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 10,503 times

Advertisements

Hi there-
This is a question for the Anchorage school district folks and people with children in Elementary school. I'm in the process of looking for elementary schools to apply for as a counselor. Ive already done the appl. online and have interviewed with them. I'm also looking for elementary schools for my 2 kids. Hopefully, I can find a job and they can come with me. Any suggestions about which schools to look into would be great. We are being stationed at Ft. Richardson but if we don't get on base, we'll be renting somewhere and I'm not sure which areas of town to focus on. It looks as if Eagle River is the place that we should start.
Thanks,
Joy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 06:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,769,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy2sons View Post
Hi there-
This is a question for the Anchorage school district folks and people with children in Elementary school. I'm in the process of looking for elementary schools to apply for as a counselor. Ive already done the appl. online and have interviewed with them. I'm also looking for elementary schools for my 2 kids. Hopefully, I can find a job and they can come with me. Any suggestions about which schools to look into would be great. We are being stationed at Ft. Richardson but if we don't get on base, we'll be renting somewhere and I'm not sure which areas of town to focus on. It looks as if Eagle River is the place that we should start.
Thanks,
Joy
I taught at Ravenwood Elementary in Eagle River; thus I know that is a great school. However, at the time, Ravenwood did not have a guidance counselor. I think can get a zone exemption to bring your kids to your school. There are pluses & negatives to that of course.

It seems like the newest counselors in the elementary schools are being split between two schools, since some elementary school counselor positions are being cut to .5 & new schools that previously were without counselors are being added at .5 since they now show a need for counselors.

Are you certified K-12 counseling?

Old 03-23-2008, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 10,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I taught at Ravenwood Elementary in Eagle River; thus I know that is a great school. However, at the time, Ravenwood did not have a guidance counselor. I think can get a zone exemption to bring your kids to your school. There are pluses & negatives to that of course.

It seems like the newest counselors in the elementary schools are being split between two schools, since some elementary school counselor positions are being cut to .5 & new schools that previously were without counselors are being added at .5 since they now show a need for counselors.

Are you certified K-12 counseling?
Bongo-Yes, I'm PreK-12 and have signed an intent to hire with ASD. So now, I'm just compiling my info for the certification packet and trying to figure out which schools to send resumes to (look like I'll just send one to all of em). My boys attend the ES that Im at now and have always done so, but when you're going somewhere new, you never know..:-).
Joy

Old 03-29-2008, 03:33 PM

49 posts, read 216,437 times
Default ASD schools

I'm a teacher in ASD. I could be wrong, but I think that for elementary schools, full time counseling positions are pretty much only in the title-1 schools (and probably the schools on the bases). If you're not familiar with title-1, that simply means that a certain percentage of the student population qualifies for free or reduced-price school lunches. The district and state consider these title-1 schools as "needier;" therefore, the title-1 schools receive more funding for positions like counselors.

As another member already posted, perhaps some schools (that aren't title-1) hire part-time counselors if they have the funds.

Eagle River is a lovely, smaller community that is relatively close to the bases.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,769,708 times
I think that the counselor positions in elementary schools are changing a bit. Our Title I school lost it's full-time counselor to a part-time counselor position since there are other ASD schools that are showing a need for counseling due to number of referrals. So our counselor is now shared part-time with another non-Title school.

It makes sense since counseling needs should not just be delineated across economic lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage