Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 11:21 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,109,945 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure, but I might be the only single woman on the c-d Alaska forum, so I guess I should throw-in my two cents. There should be an asterisk next to my response that I live in the Fairbanks area and I have never dated in Anchorage. Also, while I have lived all over the -48, intermittently both single and not-single, with one brief exception it's always been in pretty rural areas, so my experience will have been different from the OP's.

Anyhow, my observation is that first and foremost, the ratio of men to women is just about the same. Whatever mathematical difference there is, it is insignificant. I wish people would stop repeating that saying about "the goods".

Snobby, picky people are still snobby and picky, and less discerning people are still... less discerning. Someone casting aside every gal he meets waiting for Ms Perfect, commitment-phobes, someone who settles for less than she should.. those people are going to have those behaviors wherever they go. Geography isn't going to change any of that.

OP, you mentioned that you imagined that Alaska might be like the midwest. That has not been my experience. I found people in the midwest to be extremely and immediately friendly. Not fake-friendly, like in the south, but truly friendly. I would never say people here are unfriendly, but I'm having trouble comparing the two.

In my experience, the dangers or pros and cons of dating have been pretty much the same here as anywhere else I've lived. I had to be just as careful in Kansas or in West Virginia as I am here. However, that said, the most important tool in my tool chest is my ability to read people and listen to my gut.

I wouldn't move anywhere for the dating scene, but OP, maybe you should come up for a visit and to see if Anchorage is your bag. You seem like an adventurous person and I'm sure you would enjoy the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 11:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,777,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Anyhow, my observation is that first and foremost, the ratio of men to women is just about the same. Whatever mathematical difference there is, it is insignificant. I wish people would stop repeating that saying about "the goods".
Absolutely. It was sort of funny in a sophomoric way 25 years ago, but people keep saying it like no one's ever heard it before.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:40 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,556 times
Man, this thread has been a hilarious read. The old, duking it out with some married folks, about single people today/the dating scene. First off, if you haven't been single since the facebook revolution, you don't have any idea how bad dating has gotten. Thank God, that I have been married for 14 years now, and I missed all of this excitement. However, having a sister in law that I am close with, who is college educated and single at 27, that tells us about her struggles all the time, I have a good idea.

You think people were petty before, it has gotten a thousand times worse. The very first thing you do now is give the person you just met your facebook info. If they don't like what they see, you don't go any further. There are businesses now that help people create their facebook profile, with professional pictures, etc. If you get past that, then you have to deal with problems that modern feminism has created. My sister in law can barely keep a prospective date interested for a week. Once she lets them know that her legs are closed for business unless it gets serious, they bounce. There are plenty of young women on Tinder and other dating apps that prefer one night stands. So very attractive young man will have young ladies lined up, with the young ladies more than willing to have a good time with no strings attached. She has lived in both NYC and South Florida with the results being the same. Any very attractive, smart person is either married, or playing the field.

So I don't begrudge the OP for wanting to find a place that has a different culture. I also don't agree with the other poster that paints all young men as wife beating, drug fueled lunatics. My family and I agreed to leave Florida for Montana, and we have zero regrets, love it here. We had tons of people try to warn us away. Everybody is different, and just because one person has some problems, doesn't mean everyone should be lumped in the same boat.

And are we now supposed to believe that if a person is divorced, and has kids from a prior marriage, they are worthless. How does having kids disqualify you from being a good person. There is a ton of over generalization on this thread.

To the person that posted not to look at the active duty military for dating, most military retirees end their careers at age 38 to 42. That is dead smack in the OP age range. There could be quite of few Airman/Coast Guard who chose Anchorage as their last duty station.

I can tell you one thing, if Anchorage does end up in my families future, their sure are going to be some interesting people there, if this thread is any indication.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:21 PM

I see. If WE have't been single since the "Facebook revolution," WE have no clue, but YOU do because sister-in -law can't find a respectable man to date. Got it

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-11-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-11-2018, 05:46 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,020,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yeah, during the Klondike gold rush. Your intel (if one can very generously call it that) is not what anyone would call up-to-date, on the rare occasion that you do share actual information - your posts in this forum are consistently full of personal insults and slurs rather than content. It's summer. Get out from behind your computer for a while, get some fresh air, find some perspective. Picking fights with strangers on a forum about a place you lived during your lost youth is not healthy.
LMAO I repped you but this was great and truthful as well !

Old 06-12-2018, 12:00 AM

67 posts, read 167,781 times
Thank you everyone for your recent feedback and advice.

Metlakatla, My goal is to get my student loans paid off, not use the money to buy a private jet or a private yacht LOL. And yeah of course I would want to live comfortably, maybe rent a place with roommates or something to save money. It's not like it matters anyway though because it's my business and it is not that individual's place to pry into my personal life like that. The relationship was serious at one point but is going nowhere now... We are on different paths. If we find our way back to each other someday, then so be it. And yes, dating a gainfully employed man is important to me.

ericsvibe, You are onto something there. I remember dating during college (2006-2011), before the "Facebook revolution." Yeah Facebook was popular back then, but it was nothing like it is today, where you can scroll through 10+ years of that person's history and not want to date them because of what you see on their page. Also, South Florida culture is similar to NYC culture... A lot of men just want to hook up and have fun. And, it's all about what exclusive club you're going to and getting bottle service. I've found that in other places I've visited, people are more down-to-earth... They don't care what brand name your clothes are or what kind of designer bag you are carrying. So it doesn't surprise me at all that your sister in law had the same experiences in both SoFla and NYC. I want a new scene that isn't all about superficiality.

riceme, Thank you for your insight. Yeah, you have to be careful dating people wherever you are. I am planning a trip up to Alaska soon to check it out before I go any further.

Haolejohn, Exactly, i need to just get up there and see for myself lol

Old 06-12-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahYouBetcha View Post
Thank you everyone for your recent feedback and advice.

Metlakatla, My goal is to get my student loans paid off, not use the money to buy a private jet or a private yacht LOL. And yeah of course I would want to live comfortably, maybe rent a place with roommates or something to save money. It's not like it matters anyway though because it's my business and it is not that individual's place to pry into my personal life like that. The relationship was serious at one point but is going nowhere now... We are on different paths. If we find our way back to each other someday, then so be it. And yes, dating a gainfully employed man is important to me.l
My only point was that we aren't mind readers and can only go by what you chose to tell us, so it's rather disingenuous accuse someone of making assumptions based on your own comments. I really don't care about your personal life (I was just trying to explain another poster's perception to you), but you put it out there.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-12-2018 at 01:09 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
My only point was that we aren't mind readers and can only go by what you chose to tell us, so it's rather disingenuous accuse someone of making assumptions based on your own comments. I really don't care about your personal life (I was just trying to explain another poster's perception to you), but you put it out there.
You are right. and i was referring to the other poster since he/she was all up in my business. Also, i thought that man/woman's post was pretty funny because everyone knows that if you want to "get rich," Psychology is not the field to be in. Wealth may come in time as you build up your practice, but you're not going to start out making exorbitant amounts of money.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahYouBetcha View Post
You are right. and i was referring to the other poster since he/she was all up in my business. Also, i thought that man/woman's post was pretty funny because everyone knows that if you want to "get rich," Psychology is not the field to be in. Wealth may come in time as you build up your practice, but you're not going to start out making exorbitant amounts of money.
He accuses everyone of trying to get rich quick. To be perfectly fair, though, during his days in the Klondike Gold Rush, the great majority of those moving North were indeed doing so with the hopes of striking it rich.

I get the vibe that money is a major driver with you. That's not meant as an insult; it's just an observation, and you actually come out and say it, so...avoid giving that impression if you do make it up to Anchorage. A lot of Alaskans find any hint of that to be offensive. You won't make many friends if you blurt out that you're just here to make money to pay off student loans because salaries are ridiculously high in your field. Like I said before, old legends die hard, and many from the -48 have considered Alaska to be some kind of land of milk and honey for way too long now.

I'm just curious, but are you sure that salaries in your field are significantly higher than elsewhere?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-12-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-12-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
He accuses everyone of trying to get rich quick. To be perfectly fair, though, during his days in the Klondike Gold Rush, the great majority of those moving North were indeed doing so with the hopes of striking it rich.

I get the vibe that money is a major driver with you. That's not meant as an insult; it's just an observation, and you actually come out and say it, so...avoid giving that impression if you do make it up to Anchorage. A lot of Alaskans find any hint of that to be offensive. You won't make many friends if you blurt out that you're just here to make money to pay off student loans because salaries are ridiculously high in your field. Like I said before, old legends die hard, and many from the -48 have considered Alaska to be some kind of land of milk and honey for way too long now.

I'm just curious, but are you sure that salaries in your field are significantly higher than elsewhere?
Omg why is there no laughing emoji!? The Klondike Gold Rush hahahahaha.

Oh yeah, I get it, and of course. I don't discuss money/wealth in my day-to-day life unless it's in context. If i meet new people during my visit there, i'll be honest and say i am exploring career opportunities and leave it at that. (I believe i mentioned in a previous post that the market in NYC over-saturated with Psych grads/professionals.) Yes I came across some data online that found that Alaska is the #1 best paying state for Psychology jobs. Minnesota is also at the top of the list when it comes to good salaries in my field. i love Minnesota, so that's another option for me. I don't remember the others because they weren't places that caught my attention or that i was interested in living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage